Buckeye Lake Cop drunk and waving gun

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

awalker19

Buckeye Lake Cop drunk and waving gun

Post by awalker19 »

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... /201250302
James L. Petrey, 58, of Newark, was charged Tuesday in Franklin County Municipal Court with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, a first-degree misdemeanor...

...Petrey is suspected of threatening a woman he knew while holding and "flipping around" a gun inside a vehicle parked at a Johnstown Road restaurant on Jan. 12 in New Albany, according to a police report...
...Before serving at Buckeye Lake, Petrey worked for the Licking County Sheriff's Office for 22 years. He was fired in 1999 after an internal affairs investigation accused Petrey of 21 departmental violations...
I find it interesting he wasn't charged with any firearm related crimes.
"He who does not prevent a crime, when he can, encourages it"

"quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
ohiophotog

Re: Buckeye Lake Cop drunk and waving gun

Post by ohiophotog »

But, but, but... He's a cop...... You can't charge a cop with weapons crimes..... :roll:

Sounds like a real winner there.

Can you imagine what the news would say if he were not a cop?

There's no way you or I would only be facing a M1 if we did this.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Very interesting on the OVI w/weapon charge not existing. A quick look at their clerk's page shows he was charged with 2923.15 (Weapon While Intox) and 4511.19A1A (OVI.)

Two more interesting notes are he was only charged with the base OVI section and nothing else. That makes me think he refused to test or did blood/{inappropriate language}.

On the Weapon Intox charge they have notations of:
01/26/2012 STAY AWAY FROM PW AS A CONDITION OF BOND
01/26/2012 STAY AWAY FROM INCIDENT LOCATION AS A CONDITION OF BOND.
01/26/2012 NO POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AS CONDITION OF BOND
01/26/2012 DEFENDANT IS NOT PERMITTED TO CONSUME ALCOHOL AND/OR DRUGS OF ABUSE AS A CONDITION OF BOND

Just kind of interesting that he can't possess weapons however, I guess that's one's choice if they want the bond offered. Looks like he was placed on OR bond so that might be why as well.

Might be interesting to follow this one.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

I think a charge of 2923.16(D)1 would be more appropriate given that he was in a vehicle. I would also think there should be at least 2 counts since there were at least 2 handguns in his possession.

I would be willing to bet that he had at least one of those handguns concealed which would make that charge an F4.

But alas they are giving him a break because he is a member of the PD. :roll:
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The evidence is gone!
Buckeye Lake PD took the guns, both of them.
Who thinks they'll be around for trial?

Not me,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Wow :shock: I never thought of it like that. I'm surprised the arresting agency allowed its evidence to walk out like that. Inter agency cooperation I guess. :evil:
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

He was fired in 1999 after an internal affairs investigation accused Petrey of 21 departmental violations, according to a records request at the time by The Advocate.
And you guys say Harless won't ever be a cop again. :shock: There's what we'd like, and then there's unfortunately, reality. :roll:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
He was fired in 1999 after an internal affairs investigation accused Petrey of 21 departmental violations, according to a records request at the time by The Advocate.
And you guys say Harless won't ever be a cop again. :shock: There's what we'd like, and then there's unfortunately, reality. :roll:
That's why it's vitally important that this stuff is publicized to the nth degree.
  • Don't let the current employer sweep it under the rug.
  • Don't let a future employer claim ignorance.
  • Don't let a future employer escape the legal exposure of a collossally bad hiring decision.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

ohiophotog wrote:I think a charge of 2923.16(D)1 would be more appropriate given that he was in a vehicle. I would also think there should be at least 2 counts since there were at least 2 handguns in his possession.

I would be willing to bet that he had at least one of those handguns concealed which would make that charge an F4.

But alas they are giving him a break because he is a member of the PD. :roll:
You have to wonder how this hogwash fly's, if it was a chl holder we would be tared and featherd and road out on a rail. :twisted:
Black Rifles Matter