Call 911, call back when they don't show and Get a ticket

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Call 911, call back when they don't show and Get a ticket

Post by Bruenor »

You know how we joke and say when seconds count the police are minutes away ? How about HOURS instead of minutes ? and when you call back because they haven't showed up they get annoyed with you ad give you a ticket for misuse of 911..

Welcome to Detroit.
"My mom called me, said someone had kicked in the door," said Sean Street. I actually got dressed. I drove over to her house. It probably took me approximately an hour to get there."

He called 9-1-1 to report his mother's break-in, then hustled from his West Bloomfield home to his mom's apartment on Wayne Road in Westland. He said it took him one hour. Now, he and his mom were waiting for police.

Sean called 9-1-1 again. He said he waited one more hour, but still no police, so he made a third 9-1-1 call.
MORE
a week later, Sean Street got a misdemeanor ticket in the mail. The ticket read "Malicious use of communications device misuse of 911." He must appear in court.

If convicted, he faces a $500 fine and 90 days in jail.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
River 447

Re: Call 911, call back when they don't show and Get a tick

Post by River 447 »

I wouldn't say the police response was inappropriate, maybe just not as fast as he would have liked it to be. Truthfully, I'm surprised Detroit was able to respond to his call in under a day.

However, he should have never called 911 in the first place, reporting a break-in after the fact is not an emergency. He earned his ticket for being too lazy to open a phone book and dial the "non-emergency" number.
River 447
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

She came home to a broken down door. I think the issue was that they wanted to have someone clear the place so she wasn't ambushed. I don't blame them for that. He wasn't armed, apparently, so it would not have been wise to have him do it.

The comments indicate this isn't Detroit proper, but a suburb 25 miles west. He lived in a different suburb, so he may not even have had the right phone book to call a non-emergency number. And if they are wanting someone to clear the apartment, they aren't going in for the phone book.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Scruit

Post by Scruit »

1) He says he made 3 calls. The cops say he made more than 3 calls. Which is it?

2) I'd like to hear the call or get a transcript and find out what this gun reference is. They are accusing him of mentioning a gun to get a faster response.

Need more info.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

My best friend back home in Flint came home Tuesday night to his backdoor being open. He thought he'd left it open on accident, and when coming up to the door saw the door frame was busted. Someone had kicked in his door. So, he called 911. Reported it, and they said "Wait outside, we should have an officer there within 2 hours."

Two.Hours.

He pulled his XD40 and cleared the house himself. (Which I would have paid money to see, I love him dearly but.. Well think "Benny Hill meets Gunsmoke" and you can see what I'm envisioning.)

Now, onto the issue of the guy calling 911 numerous times? They have it recorded. It comes in though a program on the computers and a program (I think it's called "Antially" maybe? It sounds like "Auntie Alley" when Mrs.Gaspode says it, so I'm assuming it's an acronym... JediSkipdog may be able to help on that one) logs it. I'm going to go with the PD account on this one. People get impatient with 911 and act like idiots. He's lucky all he got was a ticket, I know when Mrs.Gaspode is working if someone acts like a moron towards her one of the officers tends to mosey on over that way and tells the person "Stop screwing with my Dispatcher or we will have a problem." Usually less politely.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Gaspode wrote:Now, onto the issue of the guy calling 911 numerous times? They have it recorded. It comes in though a program on the computers and a program (I think it's called "Antially" maybe? It sounds like "Auntie Alley" when Mrs.Gaspode says it, so I'm assuming it's an acronym... JediSkipdog may be able to help on that one) logs it. I'm going to go with the PD account on this one. People get impatient with 911 and act like idiots. He's lucky all he got was a ticket, I know when Mrs.Gaspode is working if someone acts like a moron towards her one of the officers tends to mosey on over that way and tells the person "Stop screwing with my Dispatcher or we will have a problem." Usually less politely.
:lol: It's simply just ALI...the Automatic Location Information...aka where the heck are you database.

Now, I will have to side with the PD on this one for now as well. I'm only saying that because if one is in the mindset to call 911 three times (I'll give one twice but not three) then one probably called more and said different things to encourage faster response. In 7 years I have only seen two people cited for misuse of 911. One was a subject that just kept cussing on it and the other was someone that kept wanting his wife to go to the psych unit but she was fine and he called 3 times for it saying she was crazy.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
fivezero57

Post by fivezero57 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Gaspode wrote:Now, onto the issue of the guy calling 911 numerous times? They have it recorded. It comes in though a program on the computers and a program (I think it's called "Antially" maybe? It sounds like "Auntie Alley" when Mrs.Gaspode says it, so I'm assuming it's an acronym... JediSkipdog may be able to help on that one) logs it. I'm going to go with the PD account on this one. People get impatient with 911 and act like idiots. He's lucky all he got was a ticket, I know when Mrs.Gaspode is working if someone acts like a moron towards her one of the officers tends to mosey on over that way and tells the person "Stop screwing with my Dispatcher or we will have a problem." Usually less politely.
:lol: It's simply just ALI...the Automatic Location Information...aka where the heck are you database.

Now, I will have to side with the PD on this one for now as well. I'm only saying that because if one is in the mindset to call 911 three times (I'll give one twice but not three) then one probably called more and said different things to encourage faster response. In 7 years I have only seen two people cited for misuse of 911. One was a subject that just kept cussing on it and the other was someone that kept wanting his wife to go to the psych unit but she was fine and he called 3 times for it saying she was crazy.
Its "ANI/ALI". Automatic Number Information/Automatic Location Information.

I will have to agree with the PD on this one as well. As a 911 operator/police dispatcher (for a large PD in central ohio) I know how frustrating it is when there are 5 911 calls waiting and the first one you pick up is someone upset about slow response and the 5th one is a heart attack. I dont know the particulars of the specific case in question and I dont know if the guy lied on purpose to get a quicker response, but I can see where they are coming from. You dont call 911 to simply ask where the police are. "I called an hour ago and the police arent here" is not an emergency.
-Chris
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

fivezero57 wrote:
Can we get this stickied? That way I have quick access to it the next time she says I never listen! :lol:

I'm all fairness I do listen, but I'm always hoping to hear about fun stuff... But it's usually her telling me about what idiot of the day called, my favorites so far in order are 1.) the guy on bath salts who told her there were raccoons in his house setting it on fire 2.) there's a squirrel in my yard 3.) there's a snake in my yard and last but not least 4.) the newspaper guy throws the paper in my flowers....

MuzzleReport

Post by MuzzleReport »

Gaspode wrote:
fivezero57 wrote:
Can we get this stickied? That way I have quick access to it the next time she says I never listen! :lol:

I'm all fairness I do listen, but I'm always hoping to hear about fun stuff... But it's usually her telling me about what idiot of the day called, my favorites so far in order are 1.) the guy on bath salts who told her there were raccoons in his house setting it on fire 2.) there's a squirrel in my yard 3.) there's a snake in my yard and last but not least 4.) the newspaper guy throws the paper in my flowers....
As long as there are no reports of "someone shot my chronograph rods" we're ok...
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

MuzzleReport wrote: As long as there are no reports of "someone shot my chronograph rods" we're ok...

Just sayin'...

CableGuy

Post by CableGuy »

Of Course there is always more to the story, a ad to the website post states......
Update: Fox 2 talked to Westland Police Chief Greg Angelosanto. He says there were clearly more than three calls to 9-1-1. But more importantly, the police report reflects that a 9-1-1 call included claims of a gun on the scene. After talking to witnesses, officers found no evidence of a gun - so a ticket was issued. The chief says Street mentioned the gun in an effort to get police there more quickly.
Favorite recent Quote:
"As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

CableGuy wrote:Of Course there is always more to the story, a ad to the website post states......
Update: Fox 2 talked to Westland Police Chief Greg Angelosanto. He says there were clearly more than three calls to 9-1-1. But more importantly, the police report reflects that a 9-1-1 call included claims of a gun on the scene. After talking to witnesses, officers found no evidence of a gun - so a ticket was issued. The chief says Street mentioned the gun in an effort to get police there more quickly.
Yep, of course they added that after my original post..
Three call on hour apart I didn't see an issue with, but the rest of the story seems a little different.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson