Avon Lake residents bothered by LEO firing range in Avon

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Avon Lake residents bothered by LEO firing range in Avon

Post by rickt »

But it was still a contested topic, as residents from Avon Lake — including Mayor Greg Zilka — voiced concerns about Avon’s current gun range.

“The piercing sound of multiple volleys of gunshots and what appears to be rapid fire have proven to be very disturbing,” Zilka said. “In the context of the general mood around the nation, this situation has caused a great deal of anxiety on the part of some residents in my city.”
http://www.chroniclet.com/Local-News/20 ... ssion.html
Bruenor

Re: Avon Lake residents bothered by LEO firing range in Avon

Post by Bruenor »

So typical .. Wonder how long till someone turns in some empty shotgun hulls or spent brass claiming bullets from the range are landing on their property.
Avon police have received calls regarding the range and noise on the weekends, although the range is only open during the week.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

What a maroon...
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

The most unfortunate thing is the reason that we have to do what we have to do is because our world’s changed,” Jensen said. “If we didn’t have people killing our children, we wouldn’t have to prepare like what we do
"Before school shootings started, police never practiced with their weapons. They just stuck pistols on their hip and hoped they could figure out how to use it if they needed to fire it," said nobody ever.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Perhaps the residents would prefer the police by like the Sheriff's dept in the movie "Wild Hogs"
:roll:

Sheriff: "I got my qualification from a course on the Internet. For arms training, they just told us to play Doom."
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Nah, they just want a bunch of Barney Fifes who carry unloaded and only keep one round in their shirt pocket.
M-Quigley wrote:Perhaps the residents would prefer the police by like the Sheriff's dept in the movie "Wild Hogs"
:roll:

Sheriff: "I got my qualification from a course on the Internet. For arms training, they just told us to play Doom."
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Bruenor wrote:So typical .. Wonder how long till someone turns in some empty shotgun hulls or spent brass claiming bullets from the range are landing on their property.
Avon police have received calls regarding the range and noise on the weekends, although the range is only open during the week.
I have a buddy who lives in the general area of the range in Avon. On the Avon Lake side there are a number of vineyards some use propane cannons to scare birds at fairly regular intervals. When the wind is right the cannons are audible at his house. That may account for some of the so-called "shots fired" at the range when it's closed.

With the ironic thing being that it originates in Avon Lake, where the complainers of the Avon range live. He has called Avon Lake about the cannons and they've basically said suck it up buttercup, you live in Avon.

Avon is weird when it comes to guns. It's growing quickly but still has many ties to its rural roots. The no guns signs on all city buildings say that if you carry in them it is M4 criminal trespass - and this was long before cities were given the option to allow concealed carry.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Matthew Reynolds, of Avon Lake, asked why Avon’s range was put so close to his city’s border, and told anecdotes of how the gunfire affects those close to him, including his friend who suffers from post traumatic stress disorder after serving in the Navy.

“I would never ask him to come visit me until (the noise) is taken care of, because I know that if he heard this sound, it would wreck him,” Reynolds said. “If he were to come here and hear that sound, especially from Jaycox Road, he would be under the table crying. So what I ask is that we please … reduce this sound. There’s stuff we can do, we can work together and we can fix this.”
I have been diagnosed and successfully treated for PTSD. I am going to call BS. Yes, I do occasionally get triggered into flashbacks (recently during a church sermon). It is not pleasant but I have been trained to deal with it. I have the ability and the opportunity, for which I am grateful, to live my life. This guy should not be cowering under the table if he gets treatment and takes it seriously. The rest of the world does not and should not watch everything they do or say around me because an evil person hurt me. He needs to get his friend into treatment if he is that concerned about him.

As to the "gunfire without warning" complaints...you know there is a range there, you frequently hear the gunshots...get a pair.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.