On Compromise in the wake of Parkland

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

On Compromise in the wake of Parkland

Post by bignflnut »

Here's "The Patriot Nurse" explaining why compromise is not on the table.

Here's a "conservative" writer, in the way that Bill Kristol is "conservative"...
Instead of debating gun regulations that would apply to every gun owner, we could consider limits that are imposed on youth and removed with age. After all, the fullness of adult citizenship is not bestowed at once: Driving precedes voting precedes drinking, and the right to stand for certain offices is granted only in your thirties.

Perhaps the self-arming of citizens could be similarly staggered. Let 18-year-olds own hunting rifles. Make revolvers available at 21. Semiautomatic pistols, at 25. And semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15 could be sold to 30-year-olds but no one younger.

This proposal would be vulnerable to some of the same practical critiques as other gun control proposals. But it is more specifically targeted to the plague of school shootings, whose perpetrators are almost always young men.
A thought from another track:
Despite the repeated failure of so called “gun-free zones”, the Florida Legislature has taken no steps over the past seven years to protect our children. While the responsibility for Wednesday's events rests solely with the actions of the evil person who committed this act, it is the Legislature that has enabled such tragedies to occur. It is the Legislature's inaction that has made such tragedies worse.

The Legislature has ignored the repeated requests of Florida Carry, other civil rights groups, and the law-abiding citizens of this state to give up the fallacy of “gun-free zones”. This body has left our children and their teachers defenseless. It has kowtowed to anti-freedom groups and has blocked or refused to hear common-sense legislation to protect our children and the professionals to whom we entrust our children's care on a daily basis.

SNIP

In every state that has allowed law-abiding citizens to carry in schools, the citizens have proven equal to the challenge. None of these states have suffered what Florida suffered Wednesday. Those state have eliminated a favorite target of the deranged individuals who commit such evil.

Florida Carry hereby calls on the Legislature to immediately:

1. Pass emergency legislation to eliminate gun-free zones for law-abiding concealed carry licensees;
2. Pass emergency legislation authorizing all teachers in public schools who possess a CWFL to carry their licensed, concealed firearm if they so choose, without repercussion;
3. Provide immediate funding of one million dollars in grants for county school boards and sheriffs to implement pilot programs of the Faculty/Administrator Safety Training and Emergency Response (FASTER) Program in the State of Florida.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Suckerspawn

Re: On Compromise in the wake of Parkland

Post by Suckerspawn »

The first proposal would have no impact on those willing to acquire their weapons illegally. Until we figure out how to stop the illegal trade, the second proposal makes much more sense.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

And while we are at it lets make it 21 years old before they can use illegal drugs... :roll: Start out at 21 for WEED then at 28 heroin then after that have at it..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:And while we are at it lets make it 21 years old before they can use illegal drugs... :roll: Start out at 21 for WEED then at 28 heroin then after that have at it..
Good one, Carmen! But follow their age suggestions and have "Legal" MJ start at age 25 in those states who allow recreational use.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

carmen fovozzo wrote:And while we are at it lets make it 21 years old before they can use illegal drugs... :roll: Start out at 21 for WEED then at 28 heroin then after that have at it..
Sure let's make voting age 40. By then they might have some sense.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

there was a Florida State Senator Greg Steub interviewed on Guntalk last weekend, who used to be in the florida House. He's been proposing a bill allowing school teachers to carry guns on campus, over and over in the house each year but it always got hung up at the senate. Now he's in the senate and hasn't even been able to get the bill out of the committee.
https://guntalk.com/gun-talk-radio/flor ... rain-fight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Just watched a CNN video of Rubio saying he wants to raise the age for buying a rifle and that he is against arming teachers. Never thought those words would come out of his mouth. This is getting ugly.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

kcclark wrote:Just watched a CNN video of Rubio saying he wants to raise the age for buying a rifle and that he is against arming teachers. Never thought those words would come out of his mouth. This is getting ugly.
Emotions are running high. Politicians, NRA, gun groups, are all be plummeted. The anti's being financed by Bloomberg are capitalizing off of this. Cooler heads will eventually prevail.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

At times like this, a dysfunctional do nothing congress is just fine with me.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

WestonDon wrote:At times like this, a dysfunctional do nothing congress is just fine with me.
yep
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WestonDon wrote:At times like this, a dysfunctional do nothing congress is just fine with me.
That is a great "Quote".
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

"They can buy a rifle and they can't even buy an alcoholic drink!"

Whose fault is that!? It was 18 for me for 3.2 beer before it became 19 for high beer (same strength) and then 21. Following that logic, I reckon we'd better push driving back to age 21 as well.

As long as we're shredding the Constitution, if the 2nd amendment is age-limited, let's look at that pesky 26th(?) amendment and move the voting age back to 21 or 25. Someone should propose that every time an age proposition is shouted out concerning rifles.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Or better yet. Make the age and other requirements to vote the same as the requirement to run.

Want to vote for President? You be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 14 years. You must be at least 35 years of age.

Want to vote for a Senator? You be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 7 years. You must be at least 30 years of age.

Want to vote for a Representative? You be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 7 years. You must be at least 25 years of age.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Javelin Man wrote:"They can buy a rifle and they can't even buy an alcoholic drink!"

Whose fault is that!? It was 18 for me for 3.2 beer before it became 19 for high beer (same strength) and then 21. Following that logic, I reckon we'd better push driving back to age 21 as well.

As long as we're shredding the Constitution, if the 2nd amendment is age-limited, let's look at that pesky 26th(?) amendment and move the voting age back to 21 or 25. Someone should propose that every time an age proposition is shouted out concerning rifles.
You have identified the ultimate argument against this age limit nonsense. I do hope however that before this idea gets trashed that we get to hear Nancy and Chuck explain how 18 YO's are too irresponsible and immature to have a rifle yet are mature enough to vote responsibly.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

When I was an instructor at US Naval Service School Command, Great Lakes I stood senior Shore Patrol duty at the Enlistedman's Club about every 6 days. (I was an E-6 at the time)
We had three drinking ages, 21 for hard liquor and any beer, 19 for regular beer (in bottles), and 18 for 3.2 beer (draft beer served in plastic cups).
I would have about 4 E-4s and E-5s working with me and at least one of us would be sitting at a desk at the entrance checking IDs and stamping the backs of hands with one of three stamps. We would wander around the club tables making sure those that had 3.2 stamps were holding plastic cups.

Before the club would open for the night I would tell my SPs the story of a gentleman's club in England that had two brass plaques beside it's door. One (the older, more corroded one) stated "No dogs allowed." The other, newer, plaque said, "Any dog leading a blind man is automatically considered a cat."

I would then tell them that anybody coming into the club with a green ID card (regular Navy, not a reservist) was to be automatically assumed to be 18. (ie a cat.)

To illustrate this point, I was on the desk one night and a group of nearly bald recruits came in (boot camp liberty after six weeks) and I did a double take on the birthday of one of them. He was EXACTLY 17 years and six weeks old. I remarked, "Damn, your parents REALLY wanted you out of the house." I stamped him for 3.2 beer, even though, by Illinois law, he was nearly a year too young to drink and told him to behave and enjoy himself, which I'm sure he did.

BTW, I got to talking to the club manager one day and he confessed that he NEVER ordered kegs of 3.2 beer, just regular (~5%) bar kegs.
I doubt that Illinois knew or cared.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.