Police Kill Innocent Man / Swatting Incident

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Police Kill Innocent Man / Swatting Incident

Postby gfrlaser » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/13/california-man-charged-in-kansas-for-call-duty-swatting-hoax-that-led-to-fatal-police-shooting.html

A California man accused of making a hoax call in connection to an online quarrel between two “Call of Duty” gamers that led to the fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in Kansas has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Tyler Barriss, 25, made his first court appearance in Kansas via video link from jail on Friday following his extradition from Los Angeles. The 25-year-old was also charged with giving false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer. Bond was set at $500,000.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
gfrlaser

Postby catfish86 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/13/suspect-kansas-swatting-death-charged-involuntary-manslaughter

This article has some additional details.

The charge of involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence ranging 31 months to 136 months. That is 2 yrs 1 mo to 11 yrs 4 mos in human years and depends on criminal record. Not sure if history of doing the same thing prior without getting somebody killed counts for that.

Second tidbit:

Sedgwick County district attorney Marc Bennett told reporters following the brief hearing that he is still reviewing whether any charges will be filed against the police officer, and once he makes a determination that decision would be made public. He said he was awaiting a final autopsy report.

Seeing the released video it is hard to see what the guy is dong before being shot. At the end of the day, I believe there needs to be consequences for being wrong and shooting an unarmed man. Take into account a man with no reason to believe that law enforcement should be on his doorstep doesn't follow directions to a T...btw, I heard "show us your hands" and "walk this way" but nothing about keeping hands in the air. You are behind cover and in body armor, not that those are guarantees of no harm but you shouldn't be so jumpy as to shoot for no real reason.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby DontTreadOnMe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Didn't take long for a 2nd example of death by swatting - this one from New Year's Day

Attorney provides more details on fatal officer-involved shooting in Walker County

Woman is in the process of getting a divorce.
Her mother-in-law (yes, the mother of her estranged soon-to-be ex-husband) calls 911 sometime before 3am and reports "that her daughter-in-law texted her and told her she was going to harm herself, her husband, and the children. And advised she does carry a firearm in her purse."
Police show up at about 3am and bang on the door.
They say they announced themselves.
The woman's 65-year old husband armed himself.
He was spotted with the gun while still in the home (the kitchen, not a doorway).
One of the deputies fired 3 shots and killed him.

I guess the deputy thought the 65 year old man could've been the "daughter-in-law" who was the alleged threat.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby qmti » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Well, I'll say this. I live alone (widower) and out in the country. If someone is banging on my door a 3am in the morning, I'm not coming downstairs unarmed. By the time I get to the bottom of the steps they could be inside the house. They better have a bullhorn to announce who they are if THEY don't want to be shot.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Previous

Return to In The News