Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arrested

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arrested

Postby bignflnut » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 am

...Port St. Joe, Florida where Robert Paul Alexander Edwards, 33, is facing criminal charges for drawing a “disturbing” picture (shown below) on a student’s homework assignment. The interesting thing is that the police acknowledge that they do not believe that Edwards intended to take any violent action but they criminally charged him because the picture was “disturbing.”...

Image
SNIP

The drawing was a crudely drawn school house on fire with a person running from the flames and others standing in a line being shot (with the words “Pew, Pew, Pew” coming from the gun).

SNIP

The lack of any evidence of intent did not appear to deter police. Sheriff Mike Harrison declared “Our country has been affected one too many times with horrific school tragedies. We take matters like this very seriously.” Accordingly, Edwards was charged with a written threat to kill or do bodily injury.


See, but if this guy were to get an artists permit, then he could exercise his first Amendment right, not as a negative right, as intended, but as a permitted positive right, having passed a background check and qualifying for the possession of writing utensils and paper...


Pew Pew Pew!
Even idiocy is Constitutionally protected, but perhaps some will claim that this is a reasonable restriction / regulation of the indiscriminate exercise of free speech.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby fyrfytr310 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I'll admit that I, personally, wouldn't be too quick to jump to this guy's defense. This rings of the shouting 'fire' in a theater scenario.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
User avatar
fyrfytr310
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Hamilton, OH

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby ArcherAce » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm

How times have changed.

Image
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
User avatar
ArcherAce
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:16 am
Location: Toledo

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby Bruenor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 pm

I was trying to figure out if this was a teacher, or relative or whatever.. then I see his mugshot..
It was not revealed what the relationship was between Edwards and the student.

I try not to immediately judge a book by it's cover, but I am certainly more cautious when they appear like this.
Image

1 3 tattoo isn't that MS13 ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 5787
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby bignflnut » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Odell Beckham is 13
Image
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby BEAR! » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Bruenor wrote:I was trying to figure out if this was a teacher, or relative or whatever.. then I see his mugshot..
It was not revealed what the relationship was between Edwards and the student.

I try not to immediately judge a book by it's cover, but I am certainly more cautious when they appear like this.
Image

1 3 tattoo isn't that MS13 ?



It used to be that in the 1%er biker crowd the number 13 meant you were a pot smoker.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
User avatar
BEAR!
 
Posts: 3416
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:00 am
Location: S.W. Montgomery county

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby nurkvinny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am

I have to look at it from the perspective of a dad with several small children. I'm not ok with a person like that - yes, I'm judging - sending a drawing of school children being killed into a school. How stable he and his offspring must be.
nurkvinny
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Pataskala, Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby M-Quigley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

ArcherAce wrote:How times have changed.

Image


I think that there's a couple of differences between the two.

1. is that the cartoon is an impossible fantasy that can't possibly happen, i.e. a little boy flying an F15 to destroy a school building. The scenario depicted in the drawing could easily potentially happen now, and has happened in the past. It is a realistic type of threat, even if the police now believe that the guy didn't intent to carry it out.

2. is that the character in the cartoon is merely destroying a building, not intentionally trying to kill mass numbers of people. There is no implication in the cartoon that people are inside at the time, unlike the drawing.
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby DontTreadOnMe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm

M-Quigley wrote:
ArcherAce wrote:How times have changed.

Image


I think that there's a couple of differences between the two.

1. is that the cartoon is an impossible fantasy that can't possibly happen, i.e. a little boy flying an F15 to destroy a school building. The scenario depicted in the drawing could easily potentially happen now, and has happened in the past. It is a realistic type of threat, even if the police now believe that the guy didn't intent to carry it out.

2. is that the character in the cartoon is merely destroying a building, not intentionally trying to kill mass numbers of people. There is no implication in the cartoon that people are inside at the time, unlike the drawing.


3. That comic wasn't (afaik) brought to school and handed to one of the staff. Kind of an important distinction, IMO.
User avatar
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 am
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby gfrlaser » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

This would be interesting to follow this through a conclusion in court. Extreme caution in watching this guy is certainly deserved. Will a conviction be possible? I wonder.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
User avatar
gfrlaser
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby M-Quigley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
ArcherAce wrote:How times have changed.

Image


I think that there's a couple of differences between the two.

1. is that the cartoon is an impossible fantasy that can't possibly happen, i.e. a little boy flying an F15 to destroy a school building. The scenario depicted in the drawing could easily potentially happen now, and has happened in the past. It is a realistic type of threat, even if the police now believe that the guy didn't intent to carry it out.

2. is that the character in the cartoon is merely destroying a building, not intentionally trying to kill mass numbers of people. There is no implication in the cartoon that people are inside at the time, unlike the drawing.


3. That comic wasn't (afaik) brought to school and handed to one of the staff. Kind of an important distinction, IMO.


Good point.
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby Bianchi? » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Do you want to get put on a watch list? This is how you get put on a watch list.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
User avatar
Bianchi?
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio

Re: Adult draws school shooting on child's homework, is arre

Postby bignflnut » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am

Robert Paul Alexander Edwards, 33, was charged with a written threat to kill or do bodily injury, a second-degree felony.

He is jailed on $150,000 bond.

Edwards is the stepfather of a child enrolled at Port St. Joe Elementary School.

SNIP

“Our country has been affected one too many times with horrific school tragedies,” said Sheriff Mike Harrison. “We take matters like this very seriously.”

Although the actions in the drawing were taken seriously, Harrison said there was no reason to believe Edwards intended to carry out the threat.


No doubt a jury can be fielded to hang this guy....
Is it really a threat if there's no indication of carrying it out?
Is society better off if a person is jailed for drawing such an image on a kids homework?
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
User avatar
bignflnut
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:14 pm


Return to In The News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests