Retired justice proposes changes to Constitution

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gfrlaser

Retired justice proposes changes to Constitution

Post by gfrlaser »

Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens,
One amendment would allow Congress to force state participation in gun checks, while a second would change the Second Amendment to permit gun control. Stevens was on the losing end of another 5-4 decision in 2008 in District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the court declared for the first time that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense.

He acknowledged that his proposed change would allow Congress to do something unthinkable in today's environment: ban gun ownership altogether.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
glocksmith

Re: Retired justice proposes changes to Constitution

Post by glocksmith »

Stevens cites Sandy Hook as the inspiration behind his gun control ideas. How exactly would his proposals have stopped a guy like Lanza who didn't legally buy his stuff through an FFL? That's what I hate about these politician types...they always forget the obvious facts.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

There is a process to rescind, change the wording of, or add amendments to our Constitution. It's complicated and time consuming, and also expensive. The very popular proposed Equal Rights Amendment gives us a lesson in how it's done.

The ERA had a lot of media attention and momentum in the 1970's. Here's the money quote, " In 1972, it passed both houses of Congress and went to the state legislatures for ratification." However, the ERA has languished in the political netherworld of various state legislatures for 42 years.

I posit any attempt to change the language in our Second Amendment will not be anywhere as popular as the ERA.

I'm not worried about this man, nor his proposal. It's all about the required number of votes, and he just doesn't have them.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I read what he had to say..so he could sell more of his book......he needs to be in a Home so they can take care of him..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Tweed Ring wrote:I'm not worried about this man, nor his proposal. It's all about the required number of votes, and he just doesn't have them.
Not to mention he is retired and his opinion is worth ++++ :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Just more proof of who it is that hates and despises the Bill of Rights. Frightening that he had any say at all concerning the interpretation of the Bill of Rights. Even more so that there are so many Americans who think like him.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

His proposed changes are reflective of his reasoning for dissenting on the Heller case. So by his own admission he knew that he was attempting to change, not interpret the constitution while on the bench. A clear violation of his oath to protect and defend the constitution.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Well said.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

At least he freely admits that the 2A does not limit itself to militia members, otherwise this whole exercise would be un-necessary...even though that's not what he really intended to say.

Thanks for proving our point!

What's also interesting is that he's been robbed recently and still hasn't changed his mind.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

If I'm not mistaken, that's not his first excursion into advocacy of fascistic gun controls.

I recall an article by him on the subject in "New York Review of Books" not that long ago.

It was similar drivel... but then so's most gun control advocacy.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I read what he had to say..so he could sell more of his book......he needs to be in a Home so they can take care of him..
Looking for a room mate, eth? (okay, I'm SICK. I'm allowed to be cruel.)
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I can still drop down and do 20. Then throw in 10 knee bends.... :) Of course I need a nap after that.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BobK

Post by BobK »

We already discussed this once before:

John Paul Stevens Wants To Change Constitution

Dupe.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?