Newbie chick

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

EvenTheTrees

Newbie chick

Post by EvenTheTrees »

I wanted to introduce myself properly and say how much I'm looking forward to learning more about concealed carry. I haven't fired a gun in many, many years, since my dad used to take me on "daddy/daughter" dates "out shootin'". It's one of the best memories I have of him :) We would go out on some land by a creek outside of Chillicothe, where he'd line up beer bottles and pop cans on a log and I would shoot them. When he died, I inherited his guns, but my sisters forced me to sell them and split the money.

I don't own a firearm at the moment but I plan to buy one and also to get a license to carry it. I have a very good friend who is a detective in the CPD (C=Columbus), he's given me tips on what to buy for a beginner like me, but I'm also interested in hearing what people on these forums have to say. Honestly, it's been so long since I've fired a gun, I don't even know where to start!

I've been reading the boards all day and I see that as a woman, I'm in the minority, but I hope that's not an issue, I'm sure there have got to be other suburban, middle-aged moms who shoot guns out there (and on here).

Anyway, hi!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Newbie chick

Post by Aesinsp »

Hello and welcome.
Congrats on your decision to get a handgun and pursue the CHL 'lifestyle'.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

What's up chick. Welcome and just curious, which gun did he recommend for you?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Welcome!

The story of your young life reminds me of my daughter and myself shooting, fishing and hunting.

I miss that a lot but lives change and now our 10 yr old granddaughter has a great time with a cane pole fishin', helping me spot ground hogs we hunt and a BB pistol with supervision out back. She is a really good shot and pretty safe now. We are working on better safety however.

Enjoy the forums Newbie chick! There is a ton of wisdom here!

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Welcome! One great way to shop for a gun is to rent them at a range to try them (not all ranges rent guns). Everyone is different, so what might work for person X may not work for person Y. It can add up, but is usually cheaper than buying and then selling a couple of guns you just held at the gun counter but didn't like once you took them to the range.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
someguy

Post by someguy »

Welcome, I must agree with mr glock on renting at a range. If you add your location to your profile we can possibly recommend a local rental range. I can say that it was surprising to me how many strangers at a range will let a person they don't know shoot their gun for free!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Mr. Glock wrote:Welcome! One great way to shop for a gun is to rent them at a range to try them (not all ranges rent guns). Everyone is different, so what might work for person X may not work for person Y. It can add up, but is usually cheaper than buying and then selling a couple of guns you just held at the gun counter but didn't like once you took them to the range.
^ This. +Infinity.

Also, if there's a novice-level class near you where you get to sample from a variety of different handguns, that's another excellent resource. As Mr. Glock noted, while this initial investment might be hard to swallow if you look at it from the point of view of "money you didn't have to spend," the advantages that comes from knowing what you should be doing behind the gun as well as having sampled multiple guns under direct supervision of someone who ostensibly knows better becomes invaluable in the overall scheme.

:)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Welcome, EvenTheTrees!

I am a middle aged mom who shoots guns. You are not alone.

Glad to have you!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

WELCOME!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Welcome to OFCC.....I hope when you did your target practice with beer cans that you had the sense to drink the beer before shooting them.. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Welcome to OFCC!
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to OFCC!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

TSiWRX wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Welcome! One great way to shop for a gun is to rent them at a range to try them (not all ranges rent guns). Everyone is different, so what might work for person X may not work for person Y. It can add up, but is usually cheaper than buying and then selling a couple of guns you just held at the gun counter but didn't like once you took them to the range.
^ This. +Infinity.

Also, if there's a novice-level class near you where you get to sample from a variety of different handguns, that's another excellent resource.
That's a great idea too. In the SW Ohio area Sim-Trainer offers both a $25 NSSF First Shots class and a Try Before You Buy program. If you're not in SWOH ask your friend or at local shops.

Also, welcome!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Welcome! I agree with many of the others. Try a variety before you buy anything. What works for one person may not work for another. When I've taken people to the range for their first time (or return after a long absence), I always bring a variety for them to try in both type and caliber. Always start them off on a 22LR and then a variety. 38 revolver, 9mm Glock, SIG, 1911, M&P, etc. Find out what works best for you! While Ashland Lake just had their Women on Target event, look around for something similar. They often will give you the opportunity to try a wide variety. Had one person who couldn't get a good grip on a Glock and had nothing but jams with it but no problems on other types even in larger calibers. If you have problem racking a slide, check online for different methods that could work well for you (made a sale or two at gun shows just showing technique that helped them).
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers