promptly inform, is 97 seconds too long while being questio?

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Atilla

Re: promptly inform, is 97 seconds too long while being ques

Post by Atilla »

Start out with "I have a gun" will get their attention. That will shut them up and all LE are trained to pay attention to that word. You can elaborate later. Seconds later.

Depends on the interaction. If the LE ran your registation first they might ask if you are armed right off the bat. I usually get a salutaion like 'how are you doing today do you know why I stopped you', or one time 'the roadway is closed you need to go that way' . Both times I said I have a gun and a license for it and that was it.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

bonziguy31 wrote:Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. The law is vague. Here's a link to some case study. http://www.adamsdrafting.com/promptly-and-immediately/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carmen fovozzo, thanks for your opinion. Do you really think so? If you listen to the video the plate is displayed. It was in the window. He just didn't see it. That's why he ends up trying to go on to the citation of not registered commercial tags. No one was cited for any tag violation. Please explain your logic that I have an issue with law because my driver had no drivers license. At that rate it's my drivers fault I failed to promptly inform.
I believe the fact is you had plenty of opportunity to inform promptly. It seems, you chose not to do so. The law sucks and should be gone...........but it's not.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I think the law is silly, but it's not vague. If the law said "Must notify in a reasonable amount of time" then it would be vague.

As I said, as the window is coming down.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Atilla wrote:Start out with "I have a gun" will get their attention. That will shut them up and all LE are trained to pay attention to that word.
To each his own, I think that is a HORRENDOUS idea. At the very bare minimum, it sets the tone for the stop -- alarming the officer and there is not likely to ever be a warm & fuzzy feeling if you alarm the officer.

MANY folks may not care about the officer's "feelings" and I won't even begin to suggest that those particular folks should change their views, but HIS feelings may improve the REST of your road side stop. If you can't see how that benefits you, feel free to discount my thoughts entirely & don't bother with a reply.

In my opinion, interrupt him at will, but do so with words more along the lines of "I HAVE A DUTY TO INFORM..." or "I AM REQUIRED TO TELL YOU" or something that appears legal, orderly, specific and and not ridiculous such as "I have a gun."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I agree that the law needs to go away, and the OP should have and could have informed much, much sooner. I also believe that when the officer began asking questions about the business, the OP would have been better served to respectfully and politely decline to answer any questions. Had he promptly informed and then declined to answer further questions, again, politely and respectfully, he would likely have gotten a ticket for no license plate, or improperly displayed plate, and nothing else.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

I'm so jumpy (ok...jumpy isn't quite the right word, but it'll do...) about the notification that I even did that one time this summer when I got pulled over in Kansas.

Hands on the wheel until the officer knocked on my window. Hit the button for the window and hands went right back on the wheel. He didn't even get a full word out of his mouth before I started in with, "IhaveadutytoinformyouthatIhaveaconcealedcarrypermitandIamcurrentlyarmed."

He blinked at me a few times, raised an eyebrow, and said, "Thank you. And good for you. Now, about how fast you were driving...."

Kansas doesn't have a requirement to notify. :lol: But he appreciated it, and we had a nice conversation about carrying before the stop was over. (And he only gave me a warning!)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Same way one gets to Carnegie Hall...practice, practice, practice.

I have drafted a script I taught students. It has a greeting statement, an identification statement, a declaration statement, and finally a question regarding any direction/directions from the officer.

Once one has gained "muscle memory" it become much easier.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The problem with "promptly notify" is its use in SO MANY other sections of the ORC (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/Search/promptly+notify) and the lack of defined time relative to the term in each case.

In this case, five seconds after the officer first started talking, he was quiet for five seconds. The female was not speaking so forcefully that the OP could not have notified over top of her. THAT is what was needed, but that is seldom taught or practiced.

As to running a business without all the right paperwork and forms, you get exactly ZERO sympathy from me.
MyWifeSaidYes
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Like most laws, including speeding and anything else, there is a lot of practical/varied discretion exercised by officers. Starting off with "I have a firearm" and not mentioning the CHL (the officer had to ask) are bad starts. I am thinking with the totality of the circumstances, there were a host of things not right with you. Tags, van, lots of reasons things were not right...I am thinking the officer decided to take any legitimate reason for an arrest. I felt kind of uneasy for the officer and I was leaning toward this being another Officer Harlett situation. He arrests you, takes the vehicle into custody and does an "inventory" for administrative purposes...

Remember that a lot of perpetrators are caught when a traffic stop raises red flags...Eric Rudolph, Timothy McVeigh, a number of serial killers including (I believe) Ted Bundy. Not saying you are any of those but I see nothing other than good police work here. Get a lawyer and plead it down as low as you can.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And, going forward, remember this phrase:

"I have a concealed handgun license and I am currently armed."

Don't ask for further instructions. Too much to remember.

As soon as the officer gets up to your window.

As soon as an officer stops you while walking down the street.

If the officer tells you to shut up before you can say...

...then say it again, but louder...

"I HAVE A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE AND I AM CURRENTLY ARMED."

Will that p*** the officer off? Don't care. YOU have a legal duty to notify.

MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And, going forward, remember this phrase:

Don't ask for further instructions. Too much to remember.

As soon as the officer gets up to your window.

As soon as an officer stops you while walking down the street.

If the officer tells you to shut up before you can say...

...then say it again, but louder...

"I HAVE A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE AND I AM CURRENTLY ARMED."

Will that p*** the officer off? Don't care. YOU have a legal duty to notify.

This. ^^^

Short, simple, easy to remember and avoids the LEO trigger word of "gun".
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I prefer to say "I have a license to carry a concealed handgun and am currently armed". Slight tweak of MWSY's, but his starts out "I have a concealed handgun... and that might be enough to get a jittery officer to go over the edge as they may block out the rest. Of course, if he/she's that jittery, my phrase won't be much better, but maybe enough to settle somebody's nerves.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Javelin Man wrote:I prefer to say "I have a license to carry a concealed handgun and am currently armed"...
Use whatever you will be ABLE to say when a case of mistaken identity causes 12 big, mean cops to point their rifles and handguns at you and scream at the tops of their lungs for you to, "GET ON THE GROUND, YOU [expletive deleted] PIECE OF [expletive deleted], RIGHT [expletive deleted] NOW !!", all while 3 or 4 cruisers have their spotlights pointed in your face, have their beacons running AND have their sirens blasting.

Police train to function while all this is going on.

Figure out what will YOU be able to say and practice that.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:I prefer to say "I have a license to carry a concealed handgun and am currently armed"...
Use whatever you will be ABLE to say when a case of mistaken identity causes 12 big, mean cops to point their rifles and handguns at you and scream at the tops of their lungs for you to, "GET ON THE GROUND, YOU [expletive deleted] PIECE OF [expletive deleted], RIGHT [expletive deleted] NOW !!", all while 3 or 4 cruisers have their spotlights pointed in your face, have their beacons running AND have their sirens blasting.

Police train to function while all this is going on.

Figure out what will YOU be able to say and practice that.
I think at that time I would asking for toilet paper.... :shock: :oops:

If a dozen SWAT cops have red dots on me, it doesn't matter what I say though after all is said and done, they'll just charge me with not notifying because they have to do something to justify the effort and cost.

But overall, yes, rehearse something. I have had no bad interactions with LEO's when I'm armed. Or even when I'm not.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George