permit approved but a catch

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nateoiler2710

permit approved but a catch

Post by nateoiler2710 »

This morning got the call to pick up. But theres a problem, theres no way to pick it up forr at least a couple weeks. So my question is if cops run my id and i havent picked up my permit will it show i am lawfully carrying and everything be square? Or do they sieze ur weapon untill it can be verified. Sooner i get a solid answer the better. Thanks guys
ArmedAviator

Re: permit approved but a catch

Post by ArmedAviator »

You can not carry concealed, or use any of the other permissions of a CHL holder unless you physically possess the CHL with you. Don't carry concealed or in a vehicle. No need to notify since you are not carrying.

If you carry concealed without the physical CHL in your possession and an officer stops you, they will take the gun and probably take you to jail.
Last edited by ArmedAviator on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I believe it's an M1 for not having the card on you but if within 45 days of arrest you show them your card it becomes an MM. Keep in mind an M1 can cause you to be taken to PD to be booked, your vehicle towed, and at worst, transported to jail depending on the department.

Not worth it in my opinion.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Ask if they will send it to you. DO NOT carry without it. Your instructor should have informed you that the law requires you to have your LICENSE and another form of ID when you are carrying concealed.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Post by BobK »

pirateguy191 wrote:Ask if they will send it to you. DO NOT carry without it. Your instructor should have informed you that the law requires you to have your LICENSE and another form of ID when you are carrying concealed.
Nope, Franklin County policy requires in person pickup.

No mailing.

I used to fly in on Fri nights and fly out on the 6:00 am Monday flight to IAH. I had to delay me departure one week to pickup my renewal.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^ Well, that sucks.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Call their regional offices, talk to someone in constituent affairs, and ask for a response in writing.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Also note that when I got my license, they hadn't actually issued it to me yet even though I was approved and everything... so no entry in leads.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Don't provide a solution with permanent consequences for a temporary problem.

Worst case, wait the two weeks and pick up your license.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
nateoiler2710

Post by nateoiler2710 »

Got a update for everyone. I still havent been able pick my chl up. But i was pulled over for not "flagging" the lumber i was transporting to a jobsite. When they came to the window i declared my weapon on my person. He asked for insurance id registration and chl. I provided all but the chl and explained i was approved just couldbt pick it up yet. Once he was done doing whatever he did. He came back and said i was lucky he could verify i had been approved and gave me a warning to flag my cargo next time. All in all if ur in the database and not a {inappropriate language} im ok for now
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

nateoiler2710 wrote:Got a update for everyone. I still havent been able pick my chl up. But i was pulled over for not "flagging" the lumber i was transporting to a jobsite. When they came to the window i declared my weapon on my person. He asked for insurance id registration and chl. I provided all but the chl and explained i was approved just couldbt pick it up yet. Once he was done doing whatever he did. He came back and said i was lucky he could verify i had been approved and gave me a warning to flag my cargo next time. All in all if ur in the database and not a {inappropriate language} im ok for now
Glad you took our advice. Good luck to you.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

nateoiler2710 wrote:... He came back and said i was lucky he could verify i had been approved ...

... im ok for now
You broke the law and an officer decided not to charge you for the crime.

You are not "ok", you are lucky.

Please feel free to be offended by my post and refuse to ever visit this site again.

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
nateoiler2710 wrote:... He came back and said i was lucky he could verify i had been approved ...

... im ok for now

Please feel free to be offended by my post and refuse to ever visit this site again.

I agree with your first two lines. The third, was just rude and intentionally offensive. No need for that here.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

... im ok for now

While MWSY's post may seem a little harsh - he is correct. You broke the law by carrying a concealed firearm on your person without physically having your license on your person.

Please consider taking the time to go pick up your license. I understand work is important - but so is staying out of jail. An M1 charge is generally one that you get hauled into jail for - which is going to keep you from working. So, taking an hour out of your day to pick up the license is a good trade off in my opinion.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Sorry, I agree 100% with MWSY...he posted here asking advice, was promptly told by multiple reliable sources the illegality of what he suggested, chose to ignore said advice, and then returned to brag about his illegal acyio. Not what is needed...