New member........from Oklahoma

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chris C

New member........from Oklahoma

Post by Chris C »

Won't be spending much time here, obviously, but I have a question. I'll be traveling from Oklahoma to Ohio in May. Will be spending a week there with my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. I am a concealed carry license holder in the State of Oklahoma. I do understand that Ohio has a recip with Oklahoma, but I just wanted to check and see if there are any "little" things that might pop up that might get me in trouble while there. For example: In Oklahoma the "No Handgun" signs are only a request from the property owner. In other words, if caught, all they can do is ask me to leave. Of course, if I don't then I can be charged with trespassing. ($250) But most people here just leave. Don't know what the rules are there in Ohio. We are "open carry" here, but I carry concealed as a social courtesy. If my coat or shirt flies open in the wind I don't have to worry about it. Don't know about Ohio. Any help or comments concerning points like that would be greatly appreciated.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New member........from Oklahoma

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New member........from Oklahoma

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to OFCC!

Knowingly violating a No Guns sign in Ohio is criminal trespass (unless the posted property is primarily a parking lot / facility, in which case it is cause for a civil trespass action, where the owner of the property would have to show damages.)

Open carry is also legal in Ohio, some places it is more accepted than others but unless you are doing something stupid/illegal at the time you can't legally be arrested for it (though there are instances of LEO harassment). If your mode is concealment then no worries about inadvertent exposure of your sidearm.

You are required to notify LEOs if you are stopped for a law enforcement purpose if you have a license and are armed (in a motor vehicle) or carrying concealed (if not in a motor vehicle).

There are a number of statutory no carry zones, but except for churches I believe they are all required to post.

You are able to carry into a bar or restaurant that sells alcohol as long as you don't drink, at all (unless it is posted no guns of course). However, this sign does not apply to someone with a license:

There are probably a few other things you should know that I just take for granted, so I'd recommend checking out the Ohio section of http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!