New member from NE Ohio

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Rustbucket

Re: New member from NE Ohio

Post by Rustbucket »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Finger off the trigger eye on the hog.
Fenster

Post by Fenster »

GunGirl7 wrote:Welcome! If you are near Berea, Select Fire Training Center on Bagley is a great place to shoot!
Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that. Took my 11-yr old over to Stonewall last nite to put some rounds through the new 22/45. Select Fire would be a little bit closer. I'll make it a point to head over there in the next week or so.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

welcome to ofcc
Black Rifles Matter
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Fenster wrote: Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that. Took my 11-yr old over to Stonewall last nite to put some rounds through the new 22/45. Select Fire would be a little bit closer. I'll make it a point to head over there in the next week or so.
Select Fire would honestly be my choice of indoor range in this area, particularly with a younger shooter.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Fenster

Post by Fenster »

Quick update...

I completed the CHL course at Commence Fire yesterday. It was a full day, from 8:00am to 9:15pm. We had ample breaks and the facilities were plenty adequate. We had 24 people in our class but it never really felt crowded, except when we did the shooting portion.

The administrivia was quick and painless - Cindy got everyone through that incredibly fast.

Keith taught the first couple of hours and made the class incredibly fun - he's got a great sense of humor and was very engaging. We had good interaction throughout the class. The rest of the classroom stuff was handled by other instructors, some of whom were a bit dry in their approach, but all of them were knowledgeable, friendly, and handled their portions well.

We broke into small groups to do the revolver/semi handling portion of the class (loading, dry firing, reloading, clearing). We had about 45-50 minutes for the test which was easy peasy if you even remotely paid attention in class.

All in all, the classroom portion was as enjoyable as 10 hours of classroom instruction can possibly be.

We had about 50 minutes to eat dinner and make it over to Gray's Armory downtown - plenty of time.

The range at the Armory was hot, dank, and a bit musty. If there's a criticism to be had with the class, that's it. However, it's about 15 minutes from the CF offices so proximity wins to range condition. We did the range portion in 3 waves. Our instructor-to-student ratio was 1:1. The complete newbies went first and it was impressive the way the instructors got everyone on the line comfortable. There were a couple of 100/100 in the first group - very cool as some of them had never shot a gun before.

Everyone had to wait for all shooters to complete the course before anyone got their certificates and was able to go home.

Overall, the experience was fantastic and I would highly recommend Commence Fire for anyone in NE Ohio looking for a quality CHL class.

Lastly, in anticipation of passing the course, I had an 8:00am appt with the Lake Co. Sheriff's office this morning (made it about 10 days ago) to submit my application. I got there about 7:40 and they took me in immediately. By the time I had my picture taken, my background check came back and I was approved. If their card printer hadn't been broken, I would've walked out with my license right then & there (the new one was being installed this afternoon). Not expecting same-day service and not being anywhere remotely close to the Lake Co. Sheriff's office, I had brought a SASE with me. They're going to drop my license in the mail today; I should have it this week.

Another great experience - would highly recommend Lake Co. if you're able to go there.

Now to work on choosing a carry firearm and holster!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Congrats!

Yep, the Grey's range isn't the most fun place in the summer, but it is convenient.

It's also not the most fun in the dead of winter, for those who are cold-blooded. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio