hunting

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

zayarax

hunting

Post by zayarax »

How can I learn more about hunting, fishing, guns, and outdoors? I am 16 years old and I want to start hunting and fishing. I have never hunted and only fish maybe once a month. My dad has bought a cabin and he goes hunting and fishing all the time and I need to get information about deer, guns, and tips and stuff on fishing and hunting. I would like websites and online information if you could give me links. I will also take other sources of information. Thanks for all your help ahead of time!
V3lv3TAssas1N

Re: hunting

Post by V3lv3TAssas1N »

You may want to join the ohio game and fish forum. It is extremely helpful and has a wealth of knowledge. This forum is for us anti-liberal gun toters 8) This is mainly a 2nd amendment site that collaborates the knowledge of firearms and political insight. Welcome to the forum
‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones, Actor
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Hunting season is over until fall unless you want to shoot coyotes or varmints. Next deer season hunting with a shotgun is a good place to start. You are going to want a hunting license. Next summer be looking for a hunter ed course. When complete, you can obtain a license. Your dad should set you up with a shotgun and a place to hunt.You'll need to examine the calender and figure which days you can get off school during the gun season. I don't know what the cut-off is for youth-gun season. You may be in for that. Or, if you can go crossbow, that opens up the whole season for you, AND can hunt during the rut.

Pick up a copy of Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine, then subscribe. Read about it, then go do it. The trick for most city folk like me is finding a place to hunt. I would expect your dad to help you with that. That could actually be time well spent together. Go fishing with him and then tell him you really want to go hunting this year. Good luck.
The British are going! The British are going!
dirtdawg

Post by dirtdawg »

muxtech wrote:Hunting season is over until fall unless you want to shoot coyotes or varmints.
Hmm, I seem to recall some folks carrying on about spring gobblers, or something...

In all seriousness, look up the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) website. The Division of Wildlife sets season dates and bag limits. They sell licenses, permits, and stamps (waterfowl). You can find places to hunt, fish, public shooting ranges, and of course, information on hunter safety classes.

I would definitely start with ODNR.
Dirtdawg
NRA Member, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen Association Director
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor; Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, PPITH
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

First step would be to schedule, and attend a DNR Hunter Safety Course. You can get a lot of valuable info there! If your father hunts, I would suggest that you tag along with him as much as possible! I'm sure he can teach you more while in woods than you could ever learn on the internet! :wink:

http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/4414/default.aspx

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/hunting ... fault.aspx
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852