Good morning and Happy New Year

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tryoung71

Good morning and Happy New Year

Post by tryoung71 »

Hello, fellow Buckeye CCWers!
I used to be a member of this forum over 10 years ago, but I moved out of state (back to my native PA) and now I have moved back and bought a house in Canton, which brings up my question:
I formerly held my Ohio CCW permit. When I moved back to PA, I obtained my PA carry permit and my Ohio permit lapsed. I still have my PA permit and it is current. Now that I have moved back to Ohio, can I simply go to the Stark County sheriff's office and hand over my PA permit and receive my Ohio CCW again, or will I have to retake the course?
Thanks in advance!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Good morning and Happy New Year

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome back to Ohio and OFCC!

You won't be able to just hand over your PA permit and get an Ohio CHL - but you may not need to re-take the class (however you will be required to reread the OH AG Pamphlet).

If you still have your old, expired license then there should be no problem *renewing* your OH license. Fill out paperwork, pay fee (which likely will be higher than the usual $50 renewal fee since you've not been an Ohio resident for the past few years) and they should issue the license.

Even without your old license, you *may* be able to renew. The law doesn't require it, so you legally should be able to renew without it, it depends on the Sheriff and how much you are willing to fight. Personally, I'd be tempted to go to Wayne County instead of Stark. They tend to be much more friendly toward concealed carriers.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tryoung71

Post by tryoung71 »

Okay, that all sounds good. I had gotten my initial CCW through the Wayne Co. Sheriff's office, so I will probably do that very thing again. I am not sure if I still have my old Ohio CCW or not, but I will go look now in the place where it would be if I had kept it.
I appreciate that info!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm willing to bet that the Wayne County office won't have a problem renewing without it in-hand. Please, let us know either way.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tryoung71

Post by tryoung71 »

I was able to find my old, expired Ohio CCW, so I will take that with me. I will certainly update this, too, after I get everything taken care of. Thanks!