Out of state handgun purchase

Commercial sales are permitted in this forum IF they are products or services directly related to the firearms community and all rules posted within are followed.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Out of state handgun purchase

Post by TunnelRat »

I intend to buy a handgun from a private party in Michigan. How do I go about importing the gun into Ohio?

Must I go to an FFL in Michigan and have it shipped to an FFL in Ohio?

Or can I buy it ftf from the Michigan resident and simply bring the gun to an Ohio FFL and have the paperwork done there?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
yogidave

Re: Out of state handgun purchase

Post by yogidave »

Depending on where he lives I would have him meet you in Ohio with the firearm at ADCO or Great Lakes Gunworkx in Rossford. What you getting?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

The gun will have to be sent to an Ohio FFL, but the current owner in Michigan has to initiate that. You cannot legally take possession of the handgun in Michigan.

Now, the question becomes whether the Ohio FFL will accept a gun sent from a private seller, or will the seller have to invoke the use of an FFL in Michigan.

My suggestion would be to chose an Ohio FFL, and ask them how they want to handle the receipt of the gun from Michigan. It is legal for a private party to send to an FFL in another state, but it is up to the FFL in that state if he chooses to accept that type of transaction. There are some that will only accept from another FFL.

From the ATF site:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

yogidave wrote:Depending on where he lives I would have him meet you in Ohio with the firearm at ADCO or Great Lakes Gunworkx in Rossford. What you getting?
Yeah - that too. I didn't think of that method!

My brain is slow this morning.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

yogidave wrote:Depending on where he lives I would have him meet you in Ohio with the firearm at ADCO or Great Lakes Gunworkx in Rossford. What you getting?
I'll be meeting my seller in Albion, Mi--nearly a two hour drive from Toledo. So, thanks, but that won't work.

I guess the easiest is to find an FFL there in Michigan and have him ship it.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

He has to get it to your FFL in Ohio. If you pick it up in Michigan and bring back for transfer, you've technically taken possession of it in another state. The Ohio FFL that will do the paperwork and transfer it to you needs a copy of his drivers license or a copy of the license of the FFL that ships it.

I suppose you could meet him, pick up the gun and a copy of his drivers license and then take the gun to an Ohio FFL that would do the transfer. But, you'd have to have an FFL that would be willing to do that. Oh, and it's illegal.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

ArcherAce wrote:I suppose you could meet him, pick up the gun and a copy of his drivers license and then take the gun to an Ohio FFL that would do the transfer. But, you'd have to have an FFL that would be willing to do that. Oh, and it's illegal.
Yup, yet felons manage to get guns quickly and easily. These Byzantine laws only apply to those who are willing to make the effort to be honest... :|
TunnelRat

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

He is allowed to bring to Ohio, to the absolute closest FFL in Ohio, and have that Ohio FFL do the deal.

If you can't get him to do that, then yep -- ship it.
He can ship it without an FFL, but only if your FFL agrees to receive from a non-FFL. The other sticky bit with that is that he cannot use USPS Priority, he must use FedEx or UPS, either of which is horribly expensive for a firearm. But if he takes it to a Mich FFL, that dealer can use postal, and save a heap on shipping.

There's two other ways that I know of, to legally get that gun across state lines.
First is for him to MOVE, and change residences, become an Ohio citizen, and then FTF sell the gun to you. :P
The other way is for him to -DIE- and will the gun to you in his last wishes.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

As they said. You as the buyer cannot take physical possession of the handgun except via an Ohio FFL. Your seller will need to ship it to an Ohio FFL. What a convoluted process for what otherwise would be a simple transaction.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
expo2248

Post by expo2248 »

Not concerning this firearm transaction, but my son lives out of state and I gave (lent) him my pistol to use for home protection. What if I never asked for it back? Is a FFL transfer mandatory at some point or can he forever keep it to use? Since there's no paperwork required for ownership what's it matter who owns or possesses it in any state?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

expo2248 wrote:Not concerning this firearm transaction, but my son lives out of state and I gave (lent) him my pistol to use for home protection. What if I never asked for it back? Is a FFL transfer mandatory at some point or can he forever keep it to use? Since there's no paperwork required for ownership what's it matter who owns or possesses it in any state?
Did you give it to him while he was living in Ohio with you? Then no problem. *Hint, Hint* *Wink, Wink*
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

expo2248

Post by expo2248 »

Why, of course I did. (click, wink, ahem)
The sheep do not want the dog around--he looks too much like the wolf. He reminds them there is danger out there just beyond the relative safety of the fence. The wolf also hates the dog. He knows it's the dog that stands between him and his prey. The dog is the reason the wolf is lean and why he is forced to stalk the darkness.
: Police
expo2248

Post by expo2248 »

Why, of course I did. (click, wink, ahem)
But for the sake of argument can't he just borrow it forever?
The sheep do not want the dog around--he looks too much like the wolf. He reminds them there is danger out there just beyond the relative safety of the fence. The wolf also hates the dog. He knows it's the dog that stands between him and his prey. The dog is the reason the wolf is lean and why he is forced to stalk the darkness.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

The specifies the loan must be temporary. It does not define temporary, but I doubt forever would be considered temporary.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
expo2248

Post by expo2248 »

Touche'