[SOLD] FS/T - 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic

All other items can be listed here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

FS/T - 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic

Post by sodbuster95 »

Title pretty much says it all. I have a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic VN800B I'm looking to either sell or trade.

This would make a great starter bike for both genders. But, it's a decent enough size that it would also be a good bike for an experienced rider.

The bike runs well and is in generally good shape overall. It does have some rust and minor cosmetic issues, but no major damage or problems. The battery probably needs to be replaced, but will still hold a charge. The tires are decent and should have at least another season or two on them. Wheels have some surface rust, but are sound and balanced. Electrical is all good and all the lights work, though some of the covers need to be cleaned or replaced as someone got the idea to paint them at some point. Transmission is good and shifts properly through all the gears. Engine is good and runs well. It does sometimes take some warming up to get it going well, but that's too be expected given how much sitting it's done. The seat has seen better days and probably needs replaced, but is still functional. Brakes are all good and function normally (replaced the cables last season).

The biggest problems this bike has right now are the speedometer and fuel tank selector switch. The speedo cable was broken when I got it and the two replacements I installed also broke. I suspect it's the wheel hub (not much else that could cause a speedo cable to break), but have had zero time to fix that. I do have another new speedo cable for it, but there’s no point in replacing it until the hub is fixed as it will just break again. The fuel selector switch is likely clogged and needs to be either well cleaned or replaced. It works fine in "normal" mode, but does not let fuel flow when in reserve.

So, absent a working speedometer and no reserve fuel...you wanna make sure you plan ahead so you don't run out of gas. :wink:

Otherwise, the bike runs and is fully rideable (you just won't know how far you've gone or how fast you're going there). Even with the few issues it has, this bike should easily go for $1200-$1500.

I'll take $900 in cash or trade for firearms + cash. Local pickup only, as I’m not really interested in figuring out how to drive it out somewhere to meet for this price.

I'll post a pic or two when I get a chance if there's any interest.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
medmandan

Re: FS/T - 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic

Post by medmandan »

Would be interested in pics. How many miles? Clean title? Windshield? Delivery in town since I don't have my permit yet? Lol
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Also interested. Was talking with my wife the other day about picking up a project bike.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Yes, the title is clean and in my possession. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow or by this weekend at the latest.

As to miles, the original speedo reads 22,860. However, I replaced the speedo with a used second speedo in an attempt to troubleshoot the cable. The "new" one functions, but is obviously not accurate. I have the original (which can be put back on if desired). I've probably put all of 10-20 miles on this since the cable stopped working.

I can probably figure out a way to deliver in town if necessary.

As an additional note, I forgot to mention that the original pipes have been replaced with a set of Vance & Hines classics. These sound and look great (if you're into that sound) and are, by themselves, worth several hundred dollars. BUT, if you aren't into loud pipes, that's a consideration. These certainly can't be confused for the relatively quiet stock pipes this bike came with. (Personally, I am a fan of louder pipes - they warn oblivious cagers that they're not alone on the road). :evil:

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

ETA: When I say the replacement speedo functions, I mean that I eliminated the speedo as the problem, NOT that it currently works. To restate, at this point, the cable and speedo have both been replaced, but it's still broken. That leaves the hub at the wheel.

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

And here's some pics.... the originals are higher resolution and I can email them if desired.

This is the speedo that is original to the bike...

And this is the replacement that is currently installed...

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Just curious: if the speedometer doesn't work, does the odometer work?
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

SeanC wrote:Just curious: if the speedometer doesn't work, does the odometer work?
Nope, just like a car, they're on the same cable.

The 22,860 on the original speedo is before the cable broke.

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

And sold.