WTB: Stihl Chainsaw

All other items can be listed here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

metop92

WTB: Stihl Chainsaw

Post by metop92 »

Looking for a decent sized (14" or more bar length, 45cc or larger engine size) Stihl chainsaw. Willing to pay cash, or trade for firearms/ammo/etc. Chainsaw must be able to start right up/run, as I'm less than even a beginner when it comes to small engine repairs. Let me know what you have available via PM, and what you'd be looking for in cash, trade, or cash/trade option.
NRA Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO
Avid collector of WW2 Japanese militaria
stephen45-70

Re: WTB: Stihl Chainsaw

Post by stephen45-70 »

i was just at a stihl dealer not two hours ago getting a new air filter for my saw . they had saws on sale for what i think was pretty decent prices , a brand new ms 271 with a 18 inch bar , case and extra chain for $339 .. not to terribly expensive for a new saw .
i dont know what its displacement is but im sure its over 45 cc

they also had a smaller saw with a 14 inch bar ... for realy cheap ... $169 i didnt realy look at it so i cant help with the model number or specs

not knowing what you plan to use it for its hard to give advice ... but if your just looking to cut a pickup load or two of wood a year or just for general occasional use around the house .. the small stihl or even one of the husky or jonsered $150 specials you see at home depot or ct will last you a very long time .

i have a cheap poulan with a 14 in bar i paid a whopping $ 79 for 10 years ago that still runs like a champ .

if you plan on cutting wood to heat your house .. spend the bucks and buy a good saw , it doesnt take long to learn how the extra money spent pays for its self .

far as buying a used saw ... i dont realy see any problems buying one from a member here ... but id probly steer clear of buying one from a random person if you dont know much about them
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Not an expert, but the 180 16" saw has served me well. If the tree is too big, use an ax to cut it down. Then cut one side and go to the other side to finish the cut.

As was Mentioned, this is hobbyist usage. But, if you were a pro, you'd probably already know how to repair & service, I assume?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

FWIW, I highly recommend the small Stihl (MS 170) chainsaws. For light cutting, they are great saws and inexpensive. Yes, the bigger saws are more effective (powerful) but the lightweight and cost are definite plusses. I have a wide range of chainsaws up to an old 20" Stihl 039 Farmboss but the 170 is the go to saw for light to medium work.

Personally I've had terrible experience with the modern Husky saws, I think they have reliability issues with the modern EPA standards. I am so fed up with starting problems with one I have that I'm ready to throw it over the hillside. And none of the Huskies are priced near the Stihl.

To the OP, I would really consider a new MS170 vs. buying a used saw. One trip for service on a used saw will wipe out any savings you might have. And a new saw comes with a one year warranty.
BigV

Post by BigV »

OhioPaints wrote:FWIW, I highly recommend the small Stihl (MS 170) chainsaws. For light cutting, they are great saws and inexpensive. Yes, the bigger saws are more effective (powerful) but the lightweight and cost are definite plusses. I have a wide range of chainsaws up to an old 20" Stihl 039 Farmboss but the 170 is the go to saw for light to medium work.
I just picked up a Stihl MS170 new from the dealer for $199.00. I already own 2 Stihl's, but needed a smaller lighter weight model for delimbing and such. I was surprised at the power of this little saw. great for smaller jobs. I highly recommend it. Make sure you purchase from a Stihl dealer. Big box stores sell similar Stihl saws, but they are mass produced and made cheaper.
BigV
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

BigV wrote:
OhioPaints wrote:FWIW, I highly recommend the small Stihl (MS 170) chainsaws. For light cutting, they are great saws and inexpensive. Yes, the bigger saws are more effective (powerful) but the lightweight and cost are definite plusses. I have a wide range of chainsaws up to an old 20" Stihl 039 Farmboss but the 170 is the go to saw for light to medium work.
I just picked up a Stihl MS170 new from the dealer for $199.00. I already own 2 Stihl's, but needed a smaller lighter weight model for delimbing and such. I was surprised at the power of this little saw. great for smaller jobs. I highly recommend it. Make sure you purchase from a Stihl dealer. Big box stores sell similar Stihl saws, but they are mass produced and made cheaper.
Buy from a dealer and german made if possible. I had a large tree go down this summer and purchased a 660 magnum with a 36 inch bar,.... i was very happy with it's performance. You can't go wrong with a stihl.
Black Rifles Matter
Muad

Post by Muad »

I have a Stihl MS 180 C saw for sale, with 16" (I believe) bar and two chains; one is new in the box.

I'm looking for $125 cash for it. Runs awesome, was recently serviced at my local Stihl dealer. Only "issue" is it will leak bar oil while being stored if you don't tighten the cap good (was the main reason I took it in for service, doh!)

Located in Fremont, Ohio.

pic:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3299_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will C. / ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson