POLL: 2019-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Vote for up to three items. Votes can be changed until 12-31-2019

Poll ended at Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Complete repeal of notification
20%
Repeal notification to "only if asked"
8%
Decriminalize private CPZs, one must refuse to leave premises to get trespassing violation
19%
Constitutional carry
6%
Eliminate government CPZs, require lockers for secure government buildings for licensed carriers to secure gun while inside
7%
Campus carry
3%
Church carry
3%
Standardize "No Gun Signs"
3%
Allow non-lethal forms of concealed self defense, collapsible batons, brass knuckles, etc.
2%
Allow alternative forms of concealed self defense, knives
8%
Parking lot uniformity
1%
Stand you ground
19%

Total votes: 293

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: POLL: 2019-2020 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by Chuck »

ArmedAviator wrote:What is the difference between completely getting rid of notification or just when asked? If an officer asks if you have a weapon, are you not required (or atleast it be rather smart to prevent suddenly being on the news as a dead guy/gal) to admit such?
It's just a means to an end. I was asked if this was acceptable in committee and answered NO, that it was a crime to answer that question falsely, and that remaining silent was a right that should never be a crime in a free country.
Upon reflection, I think this was a fatal mistake on my part. The BFA/NRA "compromise" didn't come about until after this, when we were labeled "hard core" and "uncompromising".
In reality, what was the harm in letting them have "if asked" a separately listed crime as long as it had the same penalty or less than your typical lying to the cops charge?
My thoughts were to remove the law totally from the books and I think tunnel vision got me.
I was thinking on my feet then and reflecting on how I might have done differently now.

DontTreadOnMe wrote: Just when asked = When asked for other identification. From my reviews of state laws this is how the majority of states work.
Can you provide counts on those states?
I was told otherwise

I also disagree.
IMO, most people will give a cop their CHL when he asks for it, and their Drivers License when he asks for that.
Giving the cop EXACTLY what he asks for should NEVER be a crime, NEVER.

That is my strongly considered opinion; change my mind
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Don't be too hard on yourself Chuck. I seem to recall hearing something along the lines of "when asked for identification" being a trigger to require notification. I don't recall if that was actually written in a bill or was just being discussed. Either way I agree that asking for identification and asking if one is armed is two entirely different things. I am OK with the latter being a trigger for notification but not the former.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

WestonDon wrote:I agree that asking for identification and asking if one is armed is two entirely different things. I am OK with the latter being a trigger for notification but not the former.
^I agree with the above.^
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Chuck wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote: Just when asked = When asked for other identification. From my reviews of state laws this is how the majority of states work.
I was told otherwise
I should've added an IIRC there. I could be wrong. I didn't keep that review. What I do remember clearly is that every online article I looked at that compiled such information was wrong - badly wrong. In at least one case the page had a map followed by a state-by-state summary, and the summaries frequently contradicted their map. At the time I checked each Yes state individually through http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and read their summary of when/if notification was required.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I was told otherwise
I should've added an IIRC there. I could be wrong. I didn't keep that review. What I do remember clearly is that every online article I looked at that compiled such information was wrong - badly wrong. In at least one case the page had a map followed by a state-by-state summary, and the summaries frequently contradicted their map. At the time I checked each Yes state individually through http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and read their summary of when/if notification was required.
That's fine
Thank you anyway
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I know "constitutional carry" is "probably" on everyone's want list, as it is on mine, but Chuck only left us vote on "3" items , so......

And being able to conceal "other " weapons legally such as knives, is right up there to.

We need a concealed "weapons" lic., (CWL), (not that we should need a lic. at all), which would then include knives, folding batons and such.....correct ?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I use a cane on occasion and would like to use a sword cane for possible protection but that's illegal at this point. But there are more important baskets to put all our eggs in.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:I use a cane on occasion and would like to use a sword cane for possible protection but that's illegal at this point. But there are more important baskets to put all our eggs in.
Consider one of the TDI canes made for them by Ka Bar. I've taken mine through the security station at the Hamilton County Courthouse/Jail. The deputies look it over, raise their eyebrows, then hand it back.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Brian D. wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:I use a cane on occasion and would like to use a sword cane for possible protection but that's illegal at this point. But there are more important baskets to put all our eggs in.
Consider one of the TDI canes made for them by Ka Bar. I've taken mine through the security station at the Hamilton County Courthouse/Jail. The deputies look it over, raise their eyebrows, then hand it back.
I don't like that curved handle of the TDI cane, it hurts the palm of my hand when used too much. I use what some call a walking stick but my favorite, of course, is the palm grip cane. Also very expensive. Most any cane will give a bad guy cause for pause. I carried a collapsible aluminum one with me in NYC a couple months ago.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

Lifetime renewal option would be nice, Missouri recently passed that option.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ohiodff wrote:Lifetime renewal option would be nice, Missouri recently passed that option.
Indiana also offers a lifetime license.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

schmieg wrote:
ohiodff wrote:Lifetime renewal option would be nice, Missouri recently passed that option.
Indiana also offers a lifetime license.
Definitely gets my vote.....
BOB
Ben4Freedom

Post by Ben4Freedom »

I'd love to see a law that required that renewal by mail be allowed. Presumably fingerprints are on file, and they have an original picture to compare any updates too. In Summit county it currently requires 2 days off work to go in during the specified hours. One to turn the form in, and then a second to come pick up the final license after approval and be photographed. At least require that they take the picture the first day on the assumption that you will be approved so they can then then mail the license. Even one day off work to beg for my rights is bad, but 2 days is a onerous.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Ben4Freedom wrote:I'd love to see a law that required that renewal by mail be allowed. Presumably fingerprints are on file, and they have an original picture to compare any updates too. In Summit county it currently requires 2 days off work to go in during the specified hours. One to turn the form in, and then a second to come pick up the final license after approval and be photographed. At least require that they take the picture the first day on the assumption that you will be approved so they can then then mail the license. Even one day off work to beg for my rights is bad, but 2 days is a onerous.
One of the reasons I like to go to Warren County. In for renewal and out with the license in about half an hour.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ben4Freedom wrote:I'd love to see a law that required that renewal by mail be allowed. Presumably fingerprints are on file, and they have an original picture to compare any updates too. In Summit county it currently requires 2 days off work to go in during the specified hours. One to turn the form in, and then a second to come pick up the final license after approval and be photographed. At least require that they take the picture the first day on the assumption that you will be approved so they can then then mail the license. Even one day off work to beg for my rights is bad, but 2 days is a onerous.
That's why I go to Wayne County - I can set up an appointment so I'm guaranteed to get in, at a time of my choosing. My most recent renewal, I scheduled the last appointment of the day so I could just leave work a little early and not miss any time. And, they mail the license to you when it is ready, which normally just takes a day or two. If you are in Summit County as it appears from your post, it might be worth going to Wayne.

Another option might be Stark - they take applications Tue & Thu starting at 7:30am as I recall, first come, first served, and you normally walk out with your license. So, get there early and be first in line, and not have to go back.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!