HB 228 override veto

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

HB 228 override veto

Post by MrMagoo »

Half way home. The override vote passed the House. It hasn't been brought up in the Senate yet.
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 228 override veto

Post by Chuck »

The veto was overridden in both chambers.
HB 228 will become law
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Mixed feeling all around, then! :)

Congrats to those who did all the legwork for this. Some good stuff here, now we'll need that quick fix next session, I guess.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Thank you to OFCC (and its volunteers) for the action-email reminding us to contact our legislators surrounding this.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JonasM wrote:Mixed feeling all around, then! :)

Congrats to those who did all the legwork for this. Some good stuff here, now we'll need that quick fix next session, I guess.
I seem to remember one gun law related "quick fix" early in a fresh two year cycle. But that isn't the normal way of things. The first week or more in the House and Senate consist mostly of proclamations, resolutions, etc. that deal with important stuff like renaming sections of highways for dead politicians. (Hopefully just dead ones, they take a big chance of embarrassment if the politico is still alive and capable of law breaking.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
miker

Post by miker »

So when can I buy my mossberg shockwave???
"Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Aesinsp wrote:Thank you to OFCC (and its volunteers) for the action-email reminding us to contact our legislators surrounding this.
Thank you.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

miker wrote:So when can I buy my mossberg shockwave???
After the legislature fixes the screw-up in the language. I'm hopeful they can fix it and have it take effect when HB228 takes effect. Hopeful, but not confident...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Star56

Post by Star56 »

I live in Ohio. I bought one at a very well known and popular LGS last spring.

I have used it openly at various ranges with LE present. No problems.

Buy it now.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Star56 wrote:
I live in Ohio. I bought one at a very well known and popular LGS last spring.

I have used it openly at various ranges with LE present. No problems.

Buy it now.
It is considered Dangerous Ordnance under Ohio law, and unless they fix the broken language in the new law, it will still be. Unless you have a Dangerous Ordnance License issued by your local Sheriff, you are taking a risk that could end up with a 5th degree felony conviction.

Yes I know a lot of gun shops are selling them. Yes I know a lot of people are buying and using them without issues. But it is a risk nonetheless - especially around the more liberal big cities in Ohio.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

WOSU made sure to include a picture of scary guns in their story about the override. :roll:

http://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-legisla ... objections
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

kcclark wrote:WOSU made sure to include a picture of scary guns in their story about the override. :roll:

http://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-legisla ... objections
It makes sense that the two go together. After all, what says a legal fix so that victims of rapists robbers and murderers won't have to prove their innocence when they're defending themselves better than posting pictures of fully automatic weapons? :roll:
miker

Post by miker »

Did I miss something or did they change something I thought part of this bill “modernized the definition of a shotgun”?? And would clarify that the shockwave and alike are ok.
"Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

miker wrote:Did I miss something or did they change something I thought part of this bill “modernized the definition of a shotgun”?? And would clarify that the shockwave and alike are ok.
They tried, but thanks to a typo screwed it up. Royally.
miker

Post by miker »

So they pulled all the verbiage in that section of the bill?