Sheriff Richard K. Jones critical of Hamilton schools

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Sheriff Richard K. Jones critical of Hamilton schools

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local-educati ... bdcvn014K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BUTLER COUNTY — The arrest of a Hamilton student with a loaded gun this week has triggered another blast of criticism from Butler County’s sheriff, who called on area school parents to demand safer schools.

“Somebody is going to die,” Sheriff Richard Jones told the Journal-News after broadcasting a short Facebook Live speech Thursday during which he said Hamilton School officials are not doing enough to protect the district’s 10,000 students.

Jones also reiterated his call for Hamilton — and other school systems in the county — to allow trained school staffers access to firearms to help protect against school shootings and to use metal detectors daily to keep weapons out of school buildings.
It’s all the latest flurry of accusations that started in the summer and may have contributed to the wide voter defeat of a school security tax in Hamilton – and four other districts – that Jones actively campaigned against. He contended local schools have enough money in existing budgets to upgrade security and add armed personnel.
Some Hamilton and other Butler County school parents joined in the public discussions on social media, with some citing their anxiety over the idea of allowing school staffers, who volunteer and are trained, to have access to firearms during the school day.

Hamilton school parent Brittany Blankenship wrote on social media “metal detectors in every school pre-K through 12 and all colleges. Period no questions asked it should have been done a long long time ago.”

“My daughter is in 8th grade it’s scary that I worry so much while she’s at school being scared something will happen at any moment is not good. Metal detectors would make a huge difference in safety,” said Blankenship.

Edgewood Schools parent Lisa Shaw Donelson said “more people would like metal detectors and officers on site, but then where do we draw the line?”
“I don’t believe in firearms especially when children are involved but it’s a different time now. I want the kids not to have to worry about school,” she said.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Sheriff Richard K. Jones critical of Hamilton schools

Post by WestonDon »

It just amazes me that any discussion of school safety re. shootings quickly devolves into a discussion of what they WON'T do.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Re: Sheriff Richard K. Jones critical of Hamilton schools

Post by JediSkipdogg »

It amazes me that everyone keeps going to metal detectors. They have proven time and time again to not prevent firearms into the school and at an exorbitant cost for equipment and manpower to operate. We don't staff firefighters or firetrucks at schools to prevent fires. We plan on one happening and respond with the personal trained as needed. We also have the necessary equipment in place (fire sprinklers) to put the threat (fire) down immediately when it occurs. We can't have drones with guns in schools, so the next best equivalent is a trained operator. Jones is big on that and I'm not sure why school districts can't see that. I'm glad he helped get their levy defeated.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.