Medical Marijuana... Lose Your Gun Rights!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OhioMike

Medical Marijuana... Lose Your Gun Rights!

Post by OhioMike »

Yes, we have a problem...
They are already issuing medical marijuana cards in Ohio.
Once you obtain your card here is what you are in for:

1. It is illegal to have a concealed carry permit
2. It is illegal to apply for a concealec carry permit
3. It is illegal to own any firearm
4. It is illegal to have a firearm in your home

You can drink alcohol and you wont lose your gun rights
You can be prescribed and be currently taking narcotics and you wont lose your rights

How is this possible, your gun rights will be taken away as if you are a convicted Felon

This needs to be fixed ASAP!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Medical Marijuana... Lose Your Gun Rights!

Post by WestonDon »

Assuming your facts are accurate, (I haven't verified them and don't feel like taking the time to do so) then maybe It should be fixed. I can tell you are passionate about that issue.

That said, I see this as an issue for medical marijuana advocates not firearms rights advocates. That may sound callous but the reality of the situation is that we have an uphill battle as it is enhancing and even maintaining our 2A rights and entangling marijuana and 2A rights would be counterproductive to both causes.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

As long as marijuana remains a Schedule 1 drug on the Federal register, that is how it will be. I have to wonder if this could be one area where a bipartisan push could implement a fix - after the new Congress is sworn in might be the perfect opportunity, I figure it would have to start in the Democrat-controlled House, and unfortunately I suspect the House will be too busy investigating anyone and everyone associated with the current administration to do something like that.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Article on this today.. Pick one or the other cause you can't have both.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/pick- ... acad72116d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sale of guns and your 2nd amendment right to bear arms happens at the federal level. When it comes to marijuana and the possession of guns, the feds say NO!

In an open letter to Federal Firearms Licensees drafted in 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) said this:

Any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana for medicinal purposes… is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
At the state level, we reached out to the Ohio Attorney General’s office who sent us the same document in reference to marijuana use and possessing firearms.

When someone goes to purchase a gun, they fill out an ATF form known as a Firearms Transaction Record. Question 11-E on that form asks if the applicant is “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana.” It also includes a warning stating marijuana is illegal at the Federal level regardless of state laws.

For that reason, Ohioians who possess a medical marijuana card would still have to answer yes, and they wouldn’t be allowed to purchase a gun.

It should be noted that Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm, meaning it doesn’t matter if you already have a weapon or a concealed carry permit. Under Federal law, your guns must go when you’re entered into the marijuana registry.
I recall a lot of similar articles when this happened out west.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Just because you get a medical marijuana card doesn't mean you actually have the marijuana. Just like having a CHL doesn't mean you're carrying a handgun at that particular moment.

The likelihood of a mmc holder getting MaryJane in any form is greatly enhanced though.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

What is wrong with this legislation?

If you are a Drunk and/or Take prescribed powerful narcotics:
You can apply for a CHL
Keep an existing CHL
Buy a firearm
Keep your existing firearms

If you get your medical marijuana card, or buy marijuana legally:
All your firearms are stripped. Why is it that Doctor Prescribed Opiates and other Narcotics
are Find but Doctor Prescribed Medical Marijuana IS NOT?

I know its on the NICS form, but consider this...
How many times has someone committed a crime because of marijuana?

Friggin' hypocritical laws
FYI, I never drink, I never smoked, I dont take street drugs.
I am taking pain meds for a chronic condition and was hoping
to try the THC/CBD extract capsule that might replace the pain meds...

I guess I will have to continue taking opiate pain meds
What a huge Sh** Sandwich :!:
My favorite pistol for ccw, Ruger LC9S
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Getting the MMC card automatically puts you in the firearms are "Illegal" category
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I understand your frustration because this is apparently news to you, but it's not new. There is no such thing as legal marijuana at the federal level therefore unlike other narcotics you cannot, at the federal level, be a legal user of marijuana. This is a federal problem and requires a federal solution. It wouldn't even have to go as far as taking marijuana off the Schedule 1 list. Just accepting state medical marijuana licenses as equivalent to medical prescriptions for the purpose of avoiding federal penalties would probably be enough. This is not strictly a gun issue and I agree with earlier posters who say that marijuana advocates are probably the ones to raise this issue in DC. Given the polling support for legalized marijuana, de-criminalizing state medical marijuana licensees ought to be at least something that could get some talk.
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Yes I know all that...
My frustration is that such a benign "Drug" like Marijuana
is still classified as the worst narcotic on record. It in the same
Federal classification as Heroin, LSD, Peyote etc.
Drugs that have No Medical Value!

If it has no value, why does the Federal Government have a PATENT
On Cannabis compounds to protect the brain from damage or degeneration.

They have known that cannabis has valid medical uses yet they dont want
to allow the general public to have legal access to it.

Big pharma company Sandoz (a subsidiary of Novartis) is currently making
pills with THC and CBD Compounds.

Yet you can be on strong doses of Opiates, Or drink alcohol
and not have your gun rights taken away. This is what bothers me!

How many times have people been killed due to someone being drunk
How about high on prescription narcotics??? It happens multiple times DAILY

How about those on marijuana... Most likely NONE
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

OhioMike wrote:How many times have people been killed due to someone being drunk
How about high on prescription narcotics??? It happens multiple times DAILY

How about those on marijuana... Most likely NONE
Actually that's a myth. There have been plenty of marijuana-related deaths. According to a Pew Research article, over 2,000 drivers who died in fatal crashes in 2016 tested positive for marijuana. Not all states test for marijuana so the # is likely higher, but the amount may or may not have been significant. Still, looking at states that have legalized marijuana gives a clearer picture that the # of fatalities is > 0:
In Colorado, the first state to legalize recreational marijuana, there were 51 fatalities in 2016 that involved drivers with THC blood levels above the state’s legal limit, according to the state department of transportation. THC is the main active ingredient in marijuana, and causes the euphoria associated with the drug.
<snip>
In Washington state, a 2016 report by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that fatal crashes of drivers who recently used marijuana doubled after the state legalized it.
Canada has been seeing the same trend. https://www.narcity.com/news/weed-relat ... -in-canada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not saying that marijuana has no benefits or even that it's a net negative, but if you want to convince the Feds to relax prohibitions against its use then you're going to have to be honest about both its pros and cons, and saying there are 0 marijuana-related deaths is demonstrably untrue. Don't bias your argument by going with that. My 2c.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

OhioMike wrote:If it has no value, why does the Federal Government have a PATENT
On Cannabis compounds to protect the brain from damage or degeneration.
Yer gonna hafta provide a citation for that one before I believe it...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Here is the pot patent info...

https://www.cannabistech.com/articles/p ... -cannabis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Read up on it from a source that isn't a pro-marijuana site and it becomes easier to understand
https://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/28/w ... t-6630507/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“This patent describes the therapeutic potential for cannabinoid chemical compounds that are structurally similar to THC, but without its psychoactive properties, thereby treating specific conditions without the adverse side effects associated with smoked marijuana,” Myles said in an e-mail.
The patent is about using certain compounds which contain THC, but that doesn't mean all compounds containing THC have those benefits or that if they do they don't come with other risks:
The patent doesn’t prove the chemical compound is effective in the stated treatment, Rohrbaugh said. The compound would have to be purified, synthesized in a lab setting, subjected to extensive testing in animals and humans, and ultimately require U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval to show that it’s safe and effective for the intended purpose.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

OF COURSE cannabis impairs perception. That is why people like to use it!
duh

If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to drive.
If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to use a gun.

Both are potentially deadly weapons. Will there always be a problem? Of course not. But the probability increases.

I agree with you that THC is less harmful than alcohol. FAR less, but that is coming from an adult child of an alcoholic.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Marijuana may not be as "benign" as a lot of people think.
Using marijuana raises the risk of stroke and heart failure even after accounting for demographic factors, other health conditions and lifestyle risk factors such as smoking and alcohol use, according to research scheduled for presentation at the American College of Cardiology’s 66th Annual Scientific Session.
https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-rel ... re?w_nav=S
A research study that followed children from birth up to age 38 has found that people who smoked cannabis four or more days of the week over many years ended up in a lower social class than their parents, with lower-paying, less skilled and less prestigious jobs than those who were not regular cannabis smokers. These regular and persistent users also experienced more financial, work-related and relationship difficulties, which worsened as the number of years of regular cannabis use progressed.
https://health.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/10874