Medical Marijuana... Lose Your Gun Rights!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Medical Marijuana... Lose Your Gun Rights!

Post by JustaShooter »

rickt wrote:Marijuana may not be as "benign" as a lot of people think.
Using marijuana raises the risk of stroke and heart failure even after accounting for demographic factors, other health conditions and lifestyle risk factors such as smoking and alcohol use, according to research scheduled for presentation at the American College of Cardiology’s 66th Annual Scientific Session.
https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-rel ... re?w_nav=S
A research study that followed children from birth up to age 38 has found that people who smoked cannabis four or more days of the week over many years ended up in a lower social class than their parents, with lower-paying, less skilled and less prestigious jobs than those who were not regular cannabis smokers. These regular and persistent users also experienced more financial, work-related and relationship difficulties, which worsened as the number of years of regular cannabis use progressed.
https://health.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/10874
True, but that in and of itself should not strip you of your RKBA. I dare say you'd find similar issues with people who drink beer 4 or more days a week over many years.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MacDonald wrote:OF COURSE cannabis impairs perception. That is why people like to use it!
duh

If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to drive.
If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to use a gun.

Both are potentially deadly weapons. Will there always be a problem? Of course not. But the probability increases.
Which at most should preclude possession while under the influence just like the prohibition against driving while under the influence, but not a blanket prohibition against possession in general.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

MacDonald wrote:OF COURSE cannabis impairs perception. That is why people like to use it!
duh

If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to drive.
If perception is impaired in someone that person is not safe to use a gun.

Both are potentially deadly weapons. Will there always be a problem? Of course not. But the probability increases.

I agree with you that THC is less harmful than alcohol. FAR less, but that is coming from an adult child of an alcoholic.
Have you read any of the effects of caffeine? Sleep Deprivation? A great song being played? You're crushing break up last month? The stress of family at the holidays? Job search, High Blood pressure, low blood pressure, hyper/hypothyroid, sugar addiction, the list of maladies goes on and on...

Try defining sobriety, then we can define impaired/distracted and start taking people's property away from them!

Doesn't every gas station in America sell CBD oil now?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

JustaShooter wrote:True, but that in and of itself should not strip you of your RKBA. I dare say you'd find similar issues with people who drink beer 4 or more days a week over many years.
I wasn't addressing the RKBA, merely the use of the word "benign".
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

"Doesn't every gas station in America sell CBD oil now?" CBD does not get people high. It puts the user to sleep and may alleviate minor pains.

THC is the canabanoid stoners are after.

And yes, there are many substances that impair a person. Sobriety is not being messed up by a foreign substance. Break-ups, etc. cause people to be emotionally compromised but can still remain sober. Coffee is not illegal, and many drugs are not subject to detection. But just try to introduce that into a court of law!
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

MacDonald wrote: Sobriety is not being messed up by a foreign substance. Break-ups, etc. cause people to be emotionally compromised but can still remain sober. Coffee is not illegal, and many drugs are not subject to detection. But just try to introduce that into a court of law!
You're defining it as an antonym of "being messed up"? Is that some sort of impairment that has a legal definition which doesn't reference sobriety? You're using a circular definition. But aside from that...

Foreign to what? My body?
So it's not a chemical balance inside my body?
If I've had too much sugar, is that foreign? Or just the substances that have been declared illegal in a certain jurisdiction, making sobriety not an objective standard but one that varies by jurisdiction? Can we agree that we're seeking some objective, scientifically verifiable concept and not one that changes by state line?

My point, if it has eluded the audience, is that declaring someone sober or impaired by fiat does not make one more or less dangerous when operating a motor vehicle. (Similarly, traveling at or below the posted speed limit does not make one more or less safe on the highway.) That this fiat declaration of sobriety/drunkenness is no way to determine legal penalties which strip a person of their property rights or liberties.

Back to RKBA...a government declaration of which substances may or may not be in my system while I exercise my rights is the height of improper governmental power. Simply having government permission to obtain a substance certainly isn't enough to restrict my property rights or liberties, right?
2. This governmental philosophy is uniquely American. The concept of Man's rights being unalienable is based solely upon the belief in their Divine origin. Lacking this belief, there is no moral basis for any claim that they are unalienable or for any claim to the great benefits flowing from this concept. God-given rights are sometimes called Natural Rights--those possessed by Man under the Laws of Nature, meaning under the laws of God's creation and therefore by gift of God. Man has no power to alienate--to dispose of, by surrender, barter or gift--his God-given rights, according to the American philosophy. This is the meaning of "unalienable."

8. In creating governments as their tools, or instruments, and equally in continuing to maintain them--for the purpose primarily of making and keeping their unalienable rights--all Individuals composing the self-governing people impliedly and in effect consent to some degree of limitation of their freedom to exercise some of their rights. This does not involve the surrender, or the alienation, of any of these rights but only the partial, conditional and limited relinquishment of freedom to exercise a few of them and solely for the purpose of insuring the greater security and enjoyment of all of them; and, moreover, such relinquishment is always upon condition that public officials, as public servants and trustees, faithfully use the limited powers delegated to government strictly in keeping with their prescribed limits and with this limited purpose at all times. It was in this sense that George Washington, as President of the Framing Convention in September, 1787, wrote to the Congress of the Confederation--in transmitting to it, for consideration, the draft of the proposed Constitution: ". . . Individuals entering into society, must give up a share of liberty to preserve the rest." Here he meant merely conditional relinquishment of liberty of action in the exercise of certain aspects of unalienable rights--not the surrender of any unalienable rights, which would be impossible because a nullity, a void act.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

If it can't apply to the right to vote then it can't apply to RKBA! PERIOD!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MacDonald wrote:"Doesn't every gas station in America sell CBD oil now?" CBD does not get people high. It puts the user to sleep and may alleviate minor pains.

THC is the canabanoid stoners are after.

And yes, there are many substances that impair a person. Sobriety is not being messed up by a foreign substance. Break-ups, etc. cause people to be emotionally compromised but can still remain sober. Coffee is not illegal, and many drugs are not subject to detection. But just try to introduce that into a court of law!
A lot of places do sell the CBD oil but under relations and law it is illegal to do so. In September the Ohio Board of Pharmacy classified CBD oil into the same category as medical marijuana and therefore it can only be sold by a medical marijuana dispensary. Unfortunately, Ohio has none of those. Also, all products have to be sold with a known source and known quantities of ingredients. Again, unfortunately Ohio has no way of testing and most current CBD oil places do not know where their product comes from so there is no way to legally sell it.

I think CBD oil from what I have read is very effective. Ohio screwed up on this one and anyone selling it risks becoming a felon. Users just risk possible arrest until their product can be tested and deemed to not contain THC.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cross one of the magical bridges from Ohio to Kentucky, all sorts of wonderful things happen: Sales tax is less, cigars and alcohol are cheaper, CBD oil is sold legally...and, you can carry your gun into most government buildings. Yes, even on an OHIO license.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Just recently read an article on CBD oil. Much of it does not have what you would want it to have (CBD) or not enough and or it has THC which can cause the user to fail a drug test. Lose their job, lose custody of their kids, have parole or probation revoked, etc.

As to a state legalizing, licensing and taxing federally scheduled drugs IMHO it is very foolish, the state and state employees are guilt of RICO violations.

But this thing with state legalized things that are illegal under federal law...and it's impact on gun ownership and CCW is not a new thing, it has been going on since states started doing that.

Next up in Colorado may be magic mushrooms. Same situation legally.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'm reading this thinking, where's the victim?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)