2018 Lame Duck Happenings

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

2018 Lame Duck Happenings

Post by Chuck »

The Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee now has THREE pro-gun rights bills for consideration that have passed the House. They are: HB 142, Repealing Ohio's odious notification requirement that got watered down in the House committee, HB 233, Decriminalization Effort For Ending Notorious Deaths, and HB 228, which fixes Ohio ridiculous Burden of Proof standard, eliminates that dangerous "duty to retreat, and more.
There is an amendment, #2865, that would make HB 228 a TRUE stand your ground bill, which provides for civil and criminal liability for self defense cases, allows for "threatened force" so one can show their gun legally to deescalate a situation, and provides for an immunity hearing for law abiding citizens involved in self defense situations that choose to utilize it.

All three bills in one committee presents us with many options.
We urge everyone to contact Committee Chairman Senator William P. Coley, II, and urge passage of HB233 as is, passage of HB142 with the original language, and HB 228.
Although the amendment was written to go with HB 228, it can be used in any combination of these bills with a few technical adjustments. Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas present for law abiding gun owners!

Senator Coley can be contacted here, http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/coley/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and I advise you to write the body of the email elsewhere and copy/paste it into the little window provided on that page.
Name, address, etc, is required.

For those wishing to offer testimony, testimony should be for ONE BILL per email only, and include the words "Testimony in favor of HB____" . Please word them yourself, and make them polite; they will become a part of the Senate committee records on the bill.

I will try to let you know more as things happen
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: 2018 Lame Duck Happenings

Post by Chuck »

Notification Repeal has been added to the agenda for Monday's Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee meeting. Those wishing to submit testimony may do so via email to the address below.
Of course, if want to submit testimony in person, please attend the hearing on Monday at 10:00am, Senate Finance Hearing Room.
Come early, parking will be difficult!

We want the original language restored to HB 142, which did nothing but STRIKE BAD LAW from the ORC.
It was weakened in the House when then leadership caved to the FOP in hopes of earning their endorsements in the election, which didn't happen anyway. The FOP always has and always will oppose any and all expansions of our firearm rights, for any reason they can think of.
Their "reasoning" in this case is "officer safety", even though they can't explain how a citizen notifying that he is lawfully carrying actually makes the officer any safer.

Repealing Notification was the number one items our members wanted addressed at the beginning of this legislative session. With all the excitement over HB 228 (same hearing) our chances of a Merry Christmas are getting better!
Testimonies for either bill, or both, can be sent to the address below:

Send testimonies to:
Drew.Hawking@ohiosenate.gov

It is also requested, but not required, that written testimony be accompanied by a filled out witness slip
http://ohioccw.org/images/ElectronicWitnessSlipGOR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everyone who testifies in person is required to fill this slip out
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Things are looking good! Why can't they do this in the Spring? It seems like our legislative session is only six weeks out of every 24 month periods.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Javelin Man wrote:Things are looking good! Why can't they do this in the Spring? It seems like our legislative session is only six weeks out of every 24 month periods.
Hit me up after the first of the year about my senate lame duck story
Now is not the time
Ain't activism fun?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I emailed my Senator, Matt Huffman (R), to support HB228. This is his reply although it wasn't totally positive.

H.B. 228 was introduced on May 16, 2018, by Representative Sarah LaTourette (R-Chesterland) and Representative Terry Johnson (R-McDermott). On May 23, 2018, a substitute bill was referred out of the House Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee. The bill passed in the house on November 14, 2018, favorably with a vote of 65 to 32. On November 19, 2018, the bill was introduced in the Senate. Should the bill come before the full Senate for a vote, Senator Huffman will certainly keep your views in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting Senator Huffman’s office. Should you have additional questions in regard to this legislation or any other state related matter, please feel free to reach out to Senator Huffman, as his door is always open.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee now has hearings on HB 228 and HB 142 scheduled for three days in a row: 12/3, 12/4 and 12/5. That would seem to indicate they actually intend to move these bills forward.

Don't forget that substitute HB 142 no longer repeals notification, it merely changes the penalty to a minor misdemeanor. The LEO organizations are winning that battle unless the Senate amends the bill.
Last edited by rickt on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Javelin Man wrote:Things are looking good! Why can't they do this in the Spring? It seems like our legislative session is only six weeks out of every 24 month periods.
It's always been my opinion they pass pro-gun bills in the lame duck session because it gives low information voters two full years before the next election to forget it ever happened.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rickt wrote:Don't forget that substitute HB 142 no longer repeals notification, it merely changes the penalty to a minor misdemeanor. The LEO organizations are winning that battle unless the Senate amends the bill.
We (OFCC) are fighting for a return to the original language - and since the LEAs did not support any Rs in the midterms, we may be able to use that to get the language reverted since the change was made (not supported by OFCC, of course) to get their support for the bill as I understand it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Lame Duck Happenings:
Senate Oversight Committee has now scheduled hearings for Monday through Thursday next week, considering both HB 142 and HB 228 all four days, with possible votes on HB 142 Notification Repeal, beginning as early as Tuesday.
Hearing Schedules are: Monday 12/3 10:00 am Proponent HB 142 - Sponsor & Proponent HB 228
Tuesday 12/4 7:pm opponent HB 142 - opponent HB 228
Wednesday 12/5 9:45 am, both bills all testimony, possible amendments and/or votes
Thursday 12/5 9:00 am Both bills, all testimony, possible amendments and/or votes
Meetings are in the Finance Hearing Room except for Thursday, 12/5, if needed. That meeting is slated for the North Hearing Room.

Things are happening fast!
Get your testimonies in
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We would like everyone to call all the committee members at the link and tell them you want HB 142 in the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE passed!

Please stress ORIGINAL LANGUAGE

This is important, thank you

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committees/go ... and-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

HB 142 is now scheduled for a sixth hearing on Wednesday, December 12, 2018, at 9:45 am.
Testimony from all parties will be accepted, and the bill is slated for possible amendments and possible vote.

I smell something. Any bill they pass now will be something the governor approves of, IOW, something he won't veto.
Looking at the calendar, if they pass it both out of committee and the Senate floor on the 12th, the governor can wait his ten days, (not counting Sundays) and veto it as late as Christmas Eve, and they'll never get everyone called back for an override vote.
Therefore, anything they pass ought to be something he approves of, and that causes me great concern.

For example, some senators tried to amend HB 228 with red flag language.
Ain't activism fun?

zeko

Post by zeko »

Apparently the attempt to add red-flag language to HB228 failed. How do we go about insuring that HB142 fares similarly? Any particular committee members that should be called/emailed?

Zeko
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't know zeko, I just don't know

Senator Coley seemed distressed that he couldn't add language codifying all the requirements for a legal self defense shooting into HB 228
I saw the drafted language and it was a mess.
I expect them to try to add that, at least.

Calling the committee couldn't hurt, but I just want the clock to run out
Kasich will veto anything good for us
Ain't activism fun?

JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Unless they come back after Christmas, there is likely no way to work a veto override with the time left starting Weds.
However with a strong D as co-sponsor it would be nice to get it out into both the house and senate to see how the votes fall.

JLE
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Get WHAT out?
Ain't activism fun?