What did Kasich sign?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

What did Kasich sign?

Post by Javelin Man »

I heard a news blurb at the bottom of the 8:00 hour saying that John Kasich signed some new gun regulation. More details at the top of the hour. I couldn't listen to the radio at 9:00 so I don't know any more news. Anybody know what new gun regulation(s) may have been signed?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Re: What did Kasich sign?

Post by Brian D. »

He created new, redundant executive orders.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

COLUMBUS, Gov. John Kasich signed an executive order late Monday afternoon requiring Ohio law enforcement to upload certain protection orders and warrants into a database that could prevent people from illegally buying firearms.

The executive order comes with a 39-page report showing gaps in crime reporting to the database, including a survey that found 39 percent of responding agencies didn't report any felony warrants to the system. Just 21 percent of respondents entered all civil protection orders into the system.

The executive order, which goes into effect immediately, includes sanctions to law enforcement agencies that don't comply, including financial penalties and loss of access to the database.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... cutiv.html
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Not sure how penalizing someone by taking away access to the database you are trying to force them to submit, to is supposed to encourage timely submissions. Isn't that counter productive ?

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... cutiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many law enforcement agencies are not submitting information to the database because they don't have enough staff, don't fully understand how the database prevents people from illegally purchasing guns or lack the technology to upload fingerprints -- one of the requirements for the database, according to the report.

Kasich signed a separate executive order Monday that makes permanent a working group that has been studying how information is sent to the database. The working group compiled the information in the report.

The working group is made up of representatives of the Ohio Supreme Court, various police and sheriff's departments, state agencies, local governments and even Cuyahoga County Clerk of Courts Nailah K. Byrd
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I guess since he can't get the legislature to move on his anti-gun proposals he went the executive order route to show he's trying to do something. Yeah, additional cost to taxpayers for more redundant procedures.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Bruenor wrote:Not sure how penalizing someone by taking away access to the database you are trying to force them to submit, to is supposed to encourage timely submissions. Isn't that counter productive ?

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... cutiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many law enforcement agencies are not submitting information to the database because they don't have enough staff, don't fully understand how the database prevents people from illegally purchasing guns or lack the technology to upload fingerprints -- one of the requirements for the database, according to the report.

Kasich signed a separate executive order Monday that makes permanent a working group that has been studying how information is sent to the database. The working group compiled the information in the report.

The working group is made up of representatives of the Ohio Supreme Court, various police and sheriff's departments, state agencies, local governments and even Cuyahoga County Clerk of Courts Nailah K. Byrd
Yup. I'd say his conversion from RINO to full blown dumbocrat is just about complete.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:Not sure how penalizing someone by taking away access to the database you are trying to force them to submit, to is supposed to encourage timely submissions. Isn't that counter productive ?

My understanding is he is denying them access to all of LEADS for failure to comply. That then makes the officers lose access to BMV, warrants, etc. Sure, there is officer safety items in there as well, but his order lets the department decide where they want to put officer safety. After all, if you don't upload the guy you arrest for assault on a law enforcement officer ten times, then obviously you don't care about officer safety for other departments, so why should the state care about it for your department?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

You're 2020 Democrat Presidential candidate from Ohio?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My questions:
What procedures are in place to REMOVE someone from the list after a restraining order is lifted?
What will it cost the person?
How long will it take to get their 2nd amendment rights back?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

AlanM wrote:My questions:
What procedures are in place to REMOVE someone from the list after a restraining order is lifted?
It should all be within a reasonable time frame. LEADS does not like info in their systems that is not current or accurate and it can be a huge violation to leave it in there. Fora protection order, there is no reason for it to be in more than 24 hours after the case is dropped.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

"We've got top men working on that, Dr. AlanM."
This problem is not new. Until there is serious criminal penalty for record keeping failure, and not just faced by low level clerks, things won't change.

********************************************************************************
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

PERFECT-O TIMING from Ohio's default numero Uno Republican, just as new polls are showing neck-n-neck race between DeWine and Cordray

Other (R)s running to represent Ohio lagging

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... ne_ti.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As also reported on local radio news just yesterday

Angering a key component of the party base, not a good election time strategy; unless thinking narrowly, and for an alterior motive.....hmm....
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
"We've got top men working on that, Dr. AlanM."
This problem is not new. Until there is serious criminal penalty for record keeping failure, and not just faced by low level clerks, things won't change.
There is serious penalty. Unfortunately, they are rarely enforced. And an agency can fail a LEADS audit (which are done every 3 years) but correct the mistakes and be in compliance for the next 3 years. If they started getting serious and yanking access, which is what Kasich is threatening to do, then agencies will finally see value in making the system accurate.

And let me tell you, Ohio is not alone. I spent an hour on the phone a few months back telling an agency in another state they had the wrong social security number entered. The person I talked to said her paperwork showed it was correct. I argued saying check the entry and run it, it's not correct. They finally did and said the clerks across the street must have entered it wrong. So much for all entries must be double checked. :roll:

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jedi, I keep flashing back to the mass shooting by the ex-Air Force guy. His disqualifying information should have been entered into the system, but wasn't. If the matter had been pressed (maybe it was, I lost track), they would try to pin the blame on some low level enlisted clerk, not the brass who ordered him to keep shuffling such work to the bottom of his inbox.

That's the point I was trying to make.