School security tax

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

School security tax

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local-educati ... qLNuI8RPP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figured this would be coming soon. If a school district were to propose a security tax without allowing school staff to be armed, I would be in opposition to it, for the simple reasons that

A: arming and training school staff is more cost efficient than hiring SRO's, and

B: even if a large school has one SRO, you need a backup plan. Had the coach in the Parkland school that first responded to the shooter been armed, you might not have had as many dead or injured.

A school system in Ohio recently had a school shooting where the shooter shot one student, then stopped on his own. The school system praised the SRO for getting to the scene quickly and disarming the shooter. Their definition of quickly? Three minutes. While 3 minutes is better than the several minutes it would've taken the local PD to respond from outside, it's still not good enough to deal with a motivated shooter in a large school. The school got lucky that day. Had the shooter been equipped differently and motivated to continue, many people could've been killed or injured.

Plus, it's been recently documented that students who plan school shootings usually know in advance where an SRO is at any given time anyway, or has a plan to deal with one, so you need a (non uniformed) back up plan of some kind.
AlanM

Re: School security tax

Post by AlanM »

Link found in the above article: Sheriff to school boards that don’t change security: ‘I will be their worst enemy’

Does Butler county REALLY need the Sheriff advertising which schools are the least prepared for an active shooter?

What could possibly go wrong with that?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:Link found in the above article: Sheriff to school boards that don’t change security: ‘I will be their worst enemy’

Does Butler county REALLY need the Sheriff advertising which schools are the least prepared for an active shooter?

Alan, knowing a little about Sheriff Jones, I bet he already tried using back channels, and was told by those districts to pound sand.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Monroe Board of Education member Tim Carpenter suggested the sheriff’s lobbying efforts might be better spent elsewhere.

“A better use of the resources he is proposing to use to reach school board members would be better utilized contacting the Ohio General Assembly to request money be given to each school district specifically for school security,” said Carpenter.

“Arming teachers isn’t the answer,” he said, “because they aren’t law enforcement officers and they shouldn’t be placed in that role.”
I read this nonsense almost all the time whenever an anti gun anti self defense person is talking about armed school staff. It's real simple, an armed school staff member is not a cop, and doesn't need to be because it isn't about arresting someone. They are armed merely so they can effectively defend themselves or an innocent person from murder, and you don't need to be a cop for that. The concept is no different than if someone who is armed and trained were in a dept. store or a city street after school and a mass murderer starts shooting students or the armed adult. Defending yourself against murder is a basic human right.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AlanM wrote:Link found in the above article: Sheriff to school boards that don’t change security: ‘I will be their worst enemy’

I understand and agree with what you're saying, but if the next active shooter happens to be from a particular school, they pretty much know what security measures their school has or doesn't have anyway. At least that' what my great grandkids tell me. One of them even knows when their uniformed SRO leaves their school to go to the other schools that he guards and when he is back at their school. If she knows I'm pretty sure some crazy kid knows too. :(
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Ahhh yes. This has come up before. The very life blood of an y & all government...taxes. More, more, more and that's not a disco song from the 70's LoL.

I can only direct to the answer I gave some months ago, as I care not to improve upon it, here;

'' Re: Ohio mayor proposes school levy to pay for armed guards (OP M-Quigley)

Postby WhyNot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:03 am

I propose an ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF CUT at all districts. There's just no way all the redundant layers of Exec Staff are needed...
Superintendant for each District. And of course Exec support staff i.e. Assistant Super (hereafter SS)(no pun)
Within each school district are various levels of schools. Each school has a Principal. And the obligatory Assis. Princ. And of course SS
Don't forget Maintenance, Maintenance Supv 1 etc
Also lots of Secretaries and even sometimes Secs for the Secs. Not a play on phonics

Repeat for every school district within the county; repeat for 88 counties.

BEAUCOUP REDUNDANCY gobbling up lotsa $$$$ .. that could be more effectively focused on armed Staff, training etc.

But then who would attend all those committee meetings and conferences that were ''cooked up'' to support all the extra Staff?

Ed Dept is like, #1 or #2 in the state budget dollars. And the answer is ALWAYS more, more, more. More. Then, more again. Don't forget , yes you're right....more. ''
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good