Republican Senate candidates positions article

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Republican Senate candidates positions article

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/state--region ... 4tlLOgGiL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have to scroll down a little bit to get to the specifics of gun related issues for the various candidates.

The article says in relation to Renacci and Gibbons:
The candidates identified two areas where they are divided: President Trump’s tariffs and how to address school shootings.
Second Amendment

Gibbons said he would work to change existing federal law deeming schools gun-free zones, and said he believes students age 18 and above should be able to carry long guns in high school, as recently suggested by state Rep. Niraj Antani, R-Miamisburg.

“I will attempt to change that,” Gibbons said of the gun-free schools law. “And I think that’s essential. … Now, I think it would be a little awkward if everybody is walking around with a rifle slung to their shoulder, and I hope we don’t end up with that situation.”

“I think there’s a middle ground there that will work,” Gibbons said. “I don’t think people are going to want to carry long guns around, but if somebody insists upon doing it, I believe they have a Constitutional right to do it.”
Asked for his stance on the issue, Renacci said, “I do believe we need to look at everything.”

“I’m supportive of having hearings. I’m open to listening to both sides …
Look, I’m not one of those guys that’s going to make a politically rash decision. I’m going to make an educated, informed decision with knowledge and background,” Renacci said.
Hhhm, supportive of having hearings, listening to both sides, where have I heard that before?
Ackison said she would not be comfortable with students carrying at school.

“What I am comfortable with is allowing teachers with the comfortableness and training to be armed,” she said, adding that she would welcome seeing “military personnel” — including potentially the National Guard — protecting schools.

Kiley said “trained professionals should be hired to monitor school buildings,” and teachers who volunteer should be able to carry a concealed weapon in school.