HB 585: Kasich supported bill on firearms

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HB 585: Kasich supported bill on firearms

Post by rickt »

Here's Kasich's bill. Interesting that there are no cosponsors.
H. B. No. 585 - Representative Henne.

To amend sections 2151.34, 2903.213, 2903.214, 2919.26, 2923.11, 2923.13, 2923.18, 2923.20, 2923.23, 3113.31, and 3113.99, to enact sections 3113.26, 3113.27, 3113.28, 3113.29, and 3113.30, and to repeal section 2923.14 of the Revised Code to expand the definition of dangerous ordnance to include armor piercing ammunition and expand the definition of an automatic firearm to include any device within the federal definition of machine gun; to create additional conditions under which an individual may not possess a firearm or dangerous ordnance and to eliminate the process by which an individual may apply for relief from a weapons disability; to generally prohibit a person from buying, purchasing, obtaining, or furnishing a firearm on behalf of a third party; to provide for the entry of protection orders into the federal NCIC database and LEADS; and to provide for the issuance by a court of an extreme risk protection order.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-HB-585
bsctov

Re: HB 585: Kasich supported bill on firearms

Post by bsctov »

I would like to point out this bill completely eliminates Ohio's relief from disability process!!!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I would like to point out the complete and total lack of co sponsors

The upcoming election in November is going to be crucial
Choose your candidates carefully
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
bsctov

Post by bsctov »

I figured the lack of cosponsors was due to the newness of the bill. This is probably the worst gun bill I've seen yet. Just wow.. jaw dropped

I knew it was going to be bad, but..its much worse than expected. He claims to have support from the house speaker as well.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

What is the current process and requirements for relief from disability?
bsctov

Post by bsctov »

M-Quigley wrote:What is the current process and requirements for relief from disability?
This bill just deletes that text entirely, so even previously granted restorations appear to be immediately void if this passes.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Before a bill is "introduced" the sponsor puts it up for co sponsors to sign on to it.
My understanding is that this is the only opportunity for them to do so until the final vote.
If the bill passes it's final vote, the speaker of the house will allow some time for everyone who voted for it to sign on as a co sponsor again.

I believe those are the only times a bill can pick up co sponsors, but I can not say that with certainty
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

This Henne fellow is serving his 4th tour as a Rep. Let's all say it together 1,2,3- GOODBYE

A Mr. Phil Plummer is running for his seat 40th District, dos anyone know anything about him?

Is it going to be Kasich-Henne for President :P ?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

WhyNot wrote:This Henne fellow is serving his 4th tour as a Rep. Let's all say it together 1,2,3- GOODBYE

A Mr. Phil Plummer is running for his seat 40th District, dos anyone know anything about him?
He's the Montgomery County (Dayton area) sheriff.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bsctov wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:What is the current process and requirements for relief from disability?
This bill just deletes that text entirely, so even previously granted restorations appear to be immediately void if this passes.
How does it do that? It says,
and to eliminate the process by which an individual may apply for relief from a weapons disability;
bsctov

Post by bsctov »

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression with the sections they deleted, it would be impossible for previously granted restorations to remain valid since they were never truly permanent, and could be revoked for "good cause shown". Hopefully I'm wrong and Werz or another ORC wiz could chime in.

Either way, eliminating the relief process is a total and complete non-starter.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Henne is term-limited at this point, correct?

Sheriff Plummer has some "baggage" on his shoulders relating to pending litigation concerning complaints filed by, and against, certain past and current underlings, it would appear. That might make Plummer's path to the Statehouse less than easy.

I realize sheriffs get sued (mostly by inmates) pretty frequently.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Henne is term-limited at this point, correct?

Correct!

Kasich is term-limited at this point, correct?

Correct!

PreperationHb585 is a bad idea, following the lead of someone who is off-track with the citizenry is a bad idea,and I'm letting my Congress Officials know in my weekly phone call to them that they know is coming like clockwork, correct?

Correct :wink:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Is this bill being fast tracked? This is very unusual. Bills are assigned to a committee by the Rules and Reference Committee. HB 585 was just introduced 4/5/2018 and the Rules and Reference Committee doesn't meet until 4/10/2018. Yet HB 585 is already on the 4/10/2018 agenda for the House State and Local Government Committee "pending referral".

I've never seen a bill get its first hearing so quickly.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Although this bill hasn't yet been assigned to a committee, the Ohio House State and Local Government Committee has it on their agenda for it's first hearing this Tuesday.

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... notice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The committee chair, Marlene Anielski, was once a member of MAIG, and I am suddenly VERY concerned.
Please contact the committee chair, committee members, your representatives, and if at all possible, ATTEND the hearing on Tuesday, April 10, at 2:00 pm in room 17 at the statehouse.
Ain't activism fun?