SB 286: Register firearms with county sheriff

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

SB 286: Register firearms with county sheriff

Post by rickt »

S. B. No. 286 - Senators Thomas, Schiavoni.
Cosponsors: Senators Skindell, Williams, Tavares, Brown, Sykes.

To amend sections 2923.11 and 5502.01 and to enact sections 2923.22, 2923.221, and 2923.222 of the Revised Code to require firearms to be registered with the county sheriff in the county where the firearm owner resides.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-SB-286
M-Quigley

Re: SB 286: Register firearms with county sheriff

Post by M-Quigley »

Has any of those politicians that support this bill even bothered to ask what the Sheriff's association thinks of this idea?
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Dunno....

If the Sheriff can charge (per firearm) they might just go for it....

The fun part will be in their finding time and personnel to do the paperwork.

Not to mention you can't bring a firearm into the Sheriff's Office.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

A friend of mine has over 300 guns they would need a good amount of time to figure that out. :lol: Talk about one of the first doors to be knocked on when the order come's to collect them
Black Rifles Matter
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Can someone set up a poll as to if you would comply to register or not. Chuck :?:
Black Rifles Matter
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

SMMAssociates wrote:Dunno....

If the Sheriff can charge (per firearm) they might just go for it....

The fun part will be in their finding time and personnel to do the paperwork.

Not to mention you can't bring a firearm into the Sheriff's Office.

Regards,
The bolded is exactly why NC still has a Pistol Purchase Permit system. Every time the topic comes up, its vehemently opposed by the NC sheriffs who make money on the process.

For the unfamiliar, in NC you need either a pistol purchase permit or concealed carry license in order to purchase a pistol in the state (whether FFL or private sale). It stems from the Jim Crow era as a mechanism by which a sheriff could deny a permit (and thus 2A rights) to the "wrong" people. The repeal has been brought up several times, but due to political opposition from the sheriffs, has never passed...

Having witnessed that occur when I lived there, I'd be far more interested in what informed citizens of OH think of the legislation than what the sheriffs themselves think.

(I should point out that based on my interactions, the opposition to repeal was not necessarily the opinion of NC law enforcement... just the elected sheriffs)
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Tell us how you really feel Democrats.

That's cool though ... I'm good with it just as soon as you start charging a reasonable fee to register to vote and a reasonable fee for every social media account you own, a reasonable fee to obtain a permit to have an abortion, and a reasonable fee to belong to a church, mosque, etc.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Molon Label
Abandon ye all HOPE!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Have you read the changes?
They want not just the gun owners info but the info of the seller as well. Picture and fingerprint for each gun.
Plus the sheriff's may charge "any reasonable fee" for doing this and the registration is only good for five years and must be done over every five years.

They can fold this bill into a square and insert it all the way up into a body orifice.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

WOW! I relocated from California because of crap like this. Ohio is now becoming like CA without the smell of the ocean and the sound of the surf.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MacDonald wrote:WOW! I relocated from California because of crap like this. Ohio is now becoming like CA without the smell of the ocean and the sound of the surf.
Not yet, and not if we can help it. This and the other anti-gun measures introduced in the past week or two will only become law if we sit on our collective backsides and do nothing but gripe on the internet about it. If we get active and call, email, and write letters to our representatives and senators at the Ohio General Assembly, participate in the pro-gun rallies, help out at our advocacy days at the statehouse, and provide opponent testimony when these bills come up in committee we can hopefully keep them from progressing, much less passing and becoming law.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MacDonald wrote:WOW! I relocated from California because of crap like this. Ohio is now becoming like CA without the smell of the ocean and the sound of the surf.
Ohio hasn't become anything like California yet. A lot of this stuff is democratic state reps or state senators pandering to their anti gun base. Unlike California, they are not in the majority. Plus they now have a sympathetic outgoing Governor. Regardless of Kasich though, the various state reps and state senators actually have to care about what Ohio constituents feel, assuming they know what that is, so it doesn't hurt to remind them.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Actually I find these recent (D) and (R) sponsored bills helpful. It drives it all home, not in crackpot PRC (Peoples Republik of Cali) or NY NY. It's right here, right now. Kinda like opioid deaths comments like 'clearing the gene pool', '1 less SocSecurity welfare recipient', 'Narcan No More'...until it's someone personally known.

So I waited and was correct, there will be more bills and there are. I think the bills from (D) & (R)are now concluded and I honestly do not expect the ''Bow the Knee to Me, Ye Subject'' bill just yet. I can now contact some friends and explain it to them, spoon feed them their local State Reps & Senators etc phone numbers etc. They can no longer say '' oh, they'll never do that'', they're doing it.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

JustaShooter wrote:
Not yet, and not if we can help it. This and the other anti-gun measures introduced in the past week or two will only become law if we sit on our collective backsides and do nothing but gripe on the internet about it. If we get active and call, email, and write letters to our representatives and senators at the Ohio General Assembly, participate in the pro-gun rallies, help out at our advocacy days at the statehouse, and provide opponent testimony when these bills come up in committee we can hopefully keep them from progressing, much less passing and becoming law.
We all must work (write, phone , email) and contact our legislators to oppose these bills. If the bills makes it to Kasich's desk they will be passed by the new liberal Democrat (sarcasm). And lookout, Dewine would probably sign off on them too.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Thomas (D)
Schiavoni (D)

Skindell (D)
Williams (D)
Tavares (D)
Brown (D)
Sykes (D)