Columbus announces gun control proposals

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Curzyk

Columbus announces gun control proposals

Post by Curzyk »

Headline: City Of Columbus Announces Slate Of Gun Control Proposals
Link: http://radio.wosu.org/post/city-columbu ... -proposals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excerpt:
  • The city will enact a Weapons Under Disability Ordinance that mirrors federal law by prohibiting possession of a weapon is a person was previously convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, currently is the subject of a protection order, or previously was convicted of, or is under indictment for, a felony crime that is considered a disability under federal law but not Ohio law.
  • The city will ban the possession, brandishing or use of bump stocks and other firearms accessories.
  • The city will ban the sale of imitation firearms to minors, ban the brandishing or display of imitation firearms in public and prohibit the alteration of an imitation firearms to remove its blaze orange plug.
  • The city will re-enact weapons codes by creating ordinances to mirror state law.
  • The city will include protections for intimate partners, including dating partners. If someone commits domestic violence while possessing or carrying a firearm they will receive a mandatory minimum sentence of six months in jail.
  • The city will punish violators of Temporary Criminal Protection orders and Civil Orders of Protection with a minimum of six months in jail if they possess or carry firearms during the offense.
  • The city will mirror state code provisions for storing and returning surrendered firearms. Deadly weapons seized in connection with an arrest for domestic violence or violating a protection order will be retained, unless there is a court order to the contrary.
  • The city will add properties “upon which a felony offense of violence has occurred to the Columbus City Code definition of a “public nuisance.”
  • The city will ban commercial gun sales in residential areas.
  • The city will expand the weapons reporting process. Family, friends and concerned citizens will be allowed to report minors with weapons and have those weapons surrendered.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Columbus announces gun control proposals

Post by Chuck »

Thank you for posting this.

Here's the money quote:
“Ohio Revised Code 9.68 encompasses ownership, possession, purchase, acquisition, transport, storage, carry, sale, transfer, their components, guns and ammunition,” Klein said. “It’s like they sat around with a thesaurus and looked at every verb that had to do with owning a gun.”

Which is EXACTLY what they just did while trying to find a loophole in ORC 9.68.

That one about selling in a residence better be a zoning ordinance
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:That one about selling in a residence better be a zoning ordinance
And better not be specific to firearms.

And I don't think they can get away with the bump stock ban either - depends on the definition of "components" as used under ORC 9.68.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

Getting an FFL in a residential area has always been a zoning issue, an FFL is a business license and you have to prove youre Commercial or have a zoning variance to allow your business in a residential area.

This is how the kitchen table guys can exist, somewhat.

But the silly thing is, we all had to do this already, and none of the stores in the city are affected by it. Actualy beyond us there is very little retail front end anyway.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Of course, we need to see what the legislation ends up as
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

If anyone is interested I made a list of all the FFLs who are in the city of Columbus, at least as far as mailing address goes, HERE
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Chuck wrote:Thank you for posting this.

Here's the money quote:
“Ohio Revised Code 9.68 encompasses ownership, possession, purchase, acquisition, transport, storage, carry, sale, transfer, their components, guns and ammunition,” Klein said. “It’s like they sat around with a thesaurus and looked at every verb that had to do with owning a gun.”

Which is EXACTLY what they just did while trying to find a loophole in ORC 9.68.

That one about selling in a residence better be a zoning ordinance
They can't ban a bump stock either. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Like I said, we need to see the legislation first.
So far all we have is an announcement and a press conference
Let's all keep watching for it
Ain't activism fun?

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

docpadds wrote:If anyone is interested I made a list of all the FFLs who are in the city of Columbus, at least as far as mailing address goes, HERE

Not all of those will be affected. Vances Outdoors/Law Enforcement and Mike's Pawn are in Clinton Twp, with a columbus Zip Code/mailing Address.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

Yeah unfortunately no easy way to check that. LEPD is also in a township.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

subscribed 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

This {inappropriate language} me off for two reasons. One, the obvious stupid attempt at gun control. And two, now the Columbus city council is going to be wasting my tax money the same way Cleveland has been wasting theirs. It's like local politicians don't even realize state law applies to them or something.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

They realize it. They just don't care and think they are special little snowflakes that can do what they want anyway.
captainstormy wrote:This {inappropriate language} me off for two reasons. One, the obvious stupid attempt at gun control. And two, now the Columbus city council is going to be wasting my tax money the same way Cleveland has been wasting theirs. It's like local politicians don't even realize state law applies to them or something.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The overwhelming majority of “gun violence” is gang related, and I haven’t seen it even mentioned so far
Ain't activism fun?

captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Chuck wrote:The overwhelming majority of “gun violence” is gang related, and I haven’t seen it even mentioned so far
Exactly, we both know why that is too. Because they know that gun control won't do anything to change gun crime. It'll only affect law abiding citizens.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)