Ohio school boards resolution

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio school boards resolution

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/group-ur ... klRwsWs1N/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio School Boards Association is asking districts to adopt a resolution that calls school violence "an epidemic" and advocates for the government to prioritize and better fund school safety efforts following the deadly shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month.
I don't know about the "epidemic" part, but you hear about at least a threat daily in the news, particularly after the Florida shooting. You're even hearing threats from kids who don't have access to any guns at home anyway, like the mere threat itself is attention seeking.
The draft resolution says that students and teachers shouldn't have to fear injury or death at school, and that districts need help to prevent school violence.

School boards that pass the resolution would be urging state and federal lawmakers to better fund school safety measures, school employee training on responding to violence, and enhanced mental health services and substance abuse treatment.
This is the part of the article that I have a problem with.

T
he resolution also would urge lawmakers, the governor and the president to balance the safety of students and teachers with citizens' right to have firearms.
To me, "balance" implies citizens' rights to have firearms needs to be reduced somehow so that the safety of students and teachers would somehow increase. I believe that is a false premise. I've not seen any examples of school shootings where a gun control law would've prevented any of of them from happening, or decreased the carnage if one did occur. In most of the school shootings I've read about, there were simple things the school or local LE could've done to interfere with someone causing a lot of casualties, and none of those things involved a gun control law at all.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Ohio school boards resolution

Post by WY_Not »

*ding ding ding* Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

The "balancing" is their one true goal. Everything else is fluff.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.