Ohio mayor proposes school levy to pay for armed guards

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio mayor proposes school levy to pay for armed guards

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/ohio-may ... Gw9z0vtCK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Broska says at least $500,000 a year is needed to pay for two armed guards at each of the district's four schools. Broska wrote: "We have to defend our children and it starts with us."
I have a feeling every school district in Ohio will have a levy on the ballot prior to November, and maybe other places as well, including places that refuse to even consider arming school staff. If you complain about whatever the levy costs, the other side will say you don't care if children die. :roll:

When I saw the first press conference the day after the shooting, one of the LEO officals, (I think it was the Sheriff) said something to the effect of now is not the time to complain about the cost, people need to pony up (my words) and pay for more armed school resource officers. This was before it was discovered that the one armed deputy that was there was outside the building where the shooting occurred (building 12) and did not go in.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Ohio mayor proposes school levy to pay for armed guards

Post by WY_Not »

Then let the people with children at the school pony up. Heaven forbid they quit stealing money out of my pocket.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm just waiting for a school to ask for a $20 million dollar sports stadium with HDTV scoreboard and another 5 years of funding to pay for armed guards. You vote no, they cut security, vote yes, taxes skyrocket. And trust me, it will happen.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I always vote no on school levies.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:I always vote no on school levies.
Unfortunately, not enough do. I think the last two I lived through passed by less than a dozen votes.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And sadly, the district I'm in robs you once via property taxes and they rob you again via an income tax. :evil:
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I propose an ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF CUT at all districts. There's just no way all the redundant layers of Exec Staff are needed...
Superintendant for each District. And of course Exec support staff i.e. Assistant Super (hereafter SS)(no pun)
Within each school district are various levels of schools. Each school has a Principal. And the obligatory Assis. Princ. And of course SS
Don't forget Maintenance, Maintenance Supv 1 etc
Also lots of Secretaries and even sometimes Secs for the Secs. Not a play on phonics

Repeat for every school district within the county; repeat for 88 counties.

BEAUCOUP REDUNDANCY gobbling up lotsa $$$$ .. that could be more effectively focused on armed Staff, training etc.

But then who would attend all those committee meetings and conferences that were ''cooked up'' to support all the extra Staff?

Ed Dept is like, #1 or #2 in the state budget dollars. And the answer is ALWAYS more, more, more. More. Then, more again. Don't forget , yes you're right....more.

Shocker :shock: : I have an absolute 100% NO voting record on any taxes or levies in 4 decades of voting :wink:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
TB

Post by TB »

I have lived in many states all the way from Liberal California and New England States to Leave Us alone Texas and everything in between. Ohio is up there on the worst I've seen with wanting to tax you to death with State, Municipal, School Taxes and School Levy taxes, sales tax and constantly coming up with new ones that voters approve a lot of.
Is there no accountability on how money is spent in this state. I have to balance my checkbook every month with what money I have, why can't they make due with what they have.
Unfortunately I am getting older and have to think about my retirement future and it doesn't look like it is going to be in Ohio.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I'm having trouble with the numbers for two armed security guards - $500K?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

schmieg wrote:I'm having trouble with the numbers for two armed security guards - $500K?
Two per school across four schools (total of 8).
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

rattlehead wrote:
schmieg wrote:I'm having trouble with the numbers for two armed security guards - $500K?
Two per school across four schools (total of 8).
Not bad pay for security guards, even when you calculate benefits. Hopefully, they will get some quality for that.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
docachna

Post by docachna »

schmieg wrote: Not bad pay for security guards, even when you calculate benefits. Hopefully, they will get some quality for that.
And we haven't even heard from the union yet.

:roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Meanwhile, there are many of us teachers who have already gone through extra extensive training to carry a firearm in school who would do it for free but some Demanding Mommys would wet their panties at the thought of a teacher (possibly more proficient, prepared and knowledgeable about security, students and the facilities then the paid armed security) having a firearm and protecting the students put in their care.

This run-on sentence would've earned me a poor grade in writing, but I'm hoping to get more gooderer in my speling 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I've got no kids, never had any, pay property taxes and always vote NO!
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.