Residents ask Lakota school board to allow armed teachers

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Residents ask Lakota school board to allow armed teachers

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/lakota-s ... zUJCPZXFK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many interesting comments, here are just a couple of them.
“Why don’t we allow concealed carry (for) our teachers?” Lakota district resident Dan Richards asked the board.

“Are we going to do this touchy-feely or are we going to care? You have the number one police officer (Jones) in this county … helping the teachers become armed,” said Richards in reference to Jones’ efforts.

“Do you care or not?” he asked the board.

But Lakota school parent Aimee Sensing said she doesn’t like the idea of armed teachers.

“I would be for more armed security officers in the school but not for letting the teachers have concealed carry in the schools,” said Sensing.
The article didn't say if anyone asked her how the school district was going to pay for more armed security officers. Nor is the idea that having both security officers and armed teachers aren't mutally exclusive, if a program like FASTER is in place where the people involved knows who is who. One of the coachs in the Florida school was part of the security team, had a radio, and allegedly was the first one to identify and communicate to others that it was a mass shooter and his location. The problem was he didn't have something in addition to the radio. :(
Lakota School Board Todd Parnell said “I am not opposed to possibly arming some, highly qualified, educators - ex-military or similar.”

“However, I would be concerned about how to control firearms in a school plus I believe most teachers would have nothing to do with it. That being said, I think the board needs to consider all options to increase student safety and we will,” said Parnell.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Residents ask Lakota school board to allow armed teacher

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Nice way for a school and media to put out there that there is no one armed in their buildings besides maybe security/police. 6 more months till I officially become a concerned public school parent. I told my wife I cannot be the one to be blamed when our daughter is kicked out of school. :lol:

But based on recent articles of my district being happy to add a full time SRO, I'm thinking teachers are not allowed to carry in my district. :|
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:http://www.whio.com/news/local/lakota-s ... zUJCPZXFK/

Many interesting comments, here are just a couple of them.
“Why don’t we allow concealed carry (for) our teachers?” Lakota district resident Dan Richards asked the board.

“Are we going to do this touchy-feely or are we going to care? You have the number one police officer (Jones) in this county … helping the teachers become armed,” said Richards in reference to Jones’ efforts.

“Do you care or not?” he asked the board.

But Lakota school parent Aimee Sensing said she doesn’t like the idea of armed teachers.

“I would be for more armed security officers in the school but not for letting the teachers have concealed carry in the schools,” said Sensing.
The article didn't say if anyone asked her how the school district was going to pay for more armed security officers. Nor is the idea that having both security officers and armed teachers aren't mutally exclusive, if a program like FASTER is in place where the people involved knows who is who. One of the coachs in the Florida school was part of the security team, had a radio, and allegedly was the first one to identify and communicate to others that it was a mass shooter and his location. The problem was he didn't have something in addition to the radio. :(
Lakota School Board Todd Parnell said “I am not opposed to possibly arming some, highly qualified, educators - ex-military or similar.”

“However, I would be concerned about how to control firearms in a school plus I believe most teachers would have nothing to do with it. That being said, I think the board needs to consider all options to increase student safety and we will,” said Parnell.
I always love the part where everyone believes teachers don't want any part of this. Since the teachers are the ones who stand the chance of being a target, whether armed or not, why not ask them what they want instead of having the school board or the union officials tell everyone what they want.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

schmieg wrote: I always love the part where everyone believes teachers don't want any part of this. Since the teachers are the ones who stand the chance of being a target, whether armed or not, why not ask them what they want instead of having the school board or the union officials tell everyone what they want.
Sidney, a far smaller system than Lakota, has 40 participants in their program covering (as I recall) seven buildings. Seems like a lot for something teachers don't want.