Kasich outlines possible state gun control proposals

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Kasich outlines possible state gun control proposals

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sta ... 9B74NxnvO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ohio Gov. John Kasich said he is hoping that a group he’s convened to find solutions to gun violence in the state will be able to deliver something by the end of business next week to the Ohio General Assembly.

Kasich, in Washington, D.C. for a meeting of the National Governors Association, declined to lay out what the group is considering, but said they’ve reached agreements on four different issues. The governor’s office declined to disclose the members of the group, but Kasich said they are on both sides of the gun debate

Kasich himself said he advocates complete background checks and “the need to have these large magazines” but acknowledged that the committee may go in a different direction. “One of the things I don’t want to do in this process is put my finger so much on the scale that the committee doesn’t have a chance to work,” he said.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Kasich outlines possible state gun control proposals

Post by WhyNot »

Shhh! Its a secret! Dont tell 'em till its over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3bYEvCFs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsRoQRXW8H4

NO BUDDY WILL KNOE BUTT US
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

So is OFCC represented on this committee or are we about to get hosed by BFA again?

I don't expect an answer, after all, it is secret.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WestonDon wrote:So is OFCC represented on this committee or are we about to get hosed by BFA again?

I don't expect an answer, after all, it is secret.
Don, I wouldn't be surprised if neither is represented on the committee.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

OFCC is NOT included in the governors group
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Chuck wrote:OFCC is NOT included in the governors group
Seeing as how he won’t disclose the group’s members I strongly suspect it is entirely make believe.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
High Power

Post by High Power »

Morne wrote:
Chuck wrote:OFCC is NOT included in the governors group
Seeing as how he won’t disclose the group’s members I strongly suspect it is entirely make believe.
He's probably the only one in the group.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

The governor’s office declined to disclose the members of the group, but Kasich said they are on both sides of the gun debate
Doubt it.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

He mentioned a "friend" who TV who was a gun collector.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

scottb wrote:
The governor’s office declined to disclose the members of the group, but Kasich said they are on both sides of the gun debate
Doubt it.
What's he hiding? Sounds fishy to me. Won't be surprised if the outcome is anti-gun. After all, he wants to forward his political ambitions.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

There's also an article floating around today that Kasich said he will not sign a Stand your ground law...He's really let his true democrat colors show. I'll be glad when he makes his exit.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Bama.45 wrote:There's also an article floating around today that Kasich said he will not sign a Stand your ground law...He's really let his true democrat colors show. I'll be glad when he makes his exit.

I wouldn't expect him to sign any further pro-gun legislation. All these bills you read about on the forums... I'd be shocked if he signs any of them.

I think he is trying set himself up for a 2020 presidential run... not as a Republican, but as an independent.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

FormerNavy wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:There's also an article floating around today that Kasich said he will not sign a Stand your ground law...He's really let his true democrat colors show. I'll be glad when he makes his exit.

I wouldn't expect him to sign any further pro-gun legislation. All these bills you read about on the forums... I'd be shocked if he signs any of them.

I think he is trying set himself up for a 2020 presidential run... not as a Republican, but as an independent.
I'd be surprised if any even move forward with the House or Senate. No need to worry about him, more worry about the other elected ones and how they have changed their colors.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Here are the proposals.
Kasich said the group wants state laws keeping firearms from potentially dangerous people and domestic abusers, closing gaps in the National Instant Criminal Background Check system, strengthening prohibitions on third party or “straw man” purchases, and banning armor-piercing ammo and bump stocks. And he’s handing what he calls a reasonable package over to state lawmakers for action.
http://statenews.org/post/kasich-gun-re ... ump-stocks

Also...

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... un_co.html
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

From what I read, and listened to, Kasich must really think we are stupid.
Here is his office's response to an email I sent.

"Thank you for your correspondence. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

In November 2017, I asked a group of leaders from a variety of backgrounds and with a range of views to come together and search for common ground on policies to help protect Ohioans from gun violence. The goal was to respect 2nd Amendment rights while finding reasonable, common-sense and constitutional ways to reduce the terrible toll of violence. Through this process the group reached unanimous agreement on a number of proposals.

First, the group recommended the creation of a new gun violence protection order (GVPO) similar to those enacted in five other states. GVPOs would allow certain people defined by law (perhaps law enforcement officers or members of someone’s family) to petition a court to require a person to temporarily relinquish their firearms if it is determined by a clear and convincing evidentiary standard that they are a threat to themselves or others. Such orders would give courts the ability to consider more generalized risks of violence than are normally factors for personal protection orders, while protecting an individual’s right to due process. The Ohio State Highway Patrol would serve as the custodian of any relinquished firearms that a local law enforcement agency chooses not to take into temporary custody.

Additionally, they concluded Ohio law should be updated to mirror federal law with an automatic prohibition preventing anyone convicted of a domestic violence crime or subject to a domestic violence protection order, as well as others prohibited under federal law, from buying or possessing a firearm. Putting this provision into state law makes it possible for law enforcement officers in Ohio to pursue charges on an issue that might not be pursued by federal officials.

Background checks of firearm purchasers are only as complete and accurate as the information in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). In Ohio, clerks of court are responsible for reporting conviction and sentencing records every seven days so that they can be uploaded to the system. Additional criminal and mental health records originate from other courts and local law enforcement agencies. Too often, those entrusted with the timely and accurate reporting of this information go weeks or months without reporting a single record – and Ohio law lacks any mechanism to force their compliance. The group determined Ohio should, as quickly as possible, move to implement measures to ensure timely and accurate reporting compliance from all relevant agencies, as well as to work with them to eliminate any barriers to compliance that exist.

They also suggested that Ohio law should be updated to mirror federal law and specifically prohibit purchases of firearms for third parties (except as a gift), even if the third party is legally allowed to buy or own a firearm. Current Ohio law only prohibits such “strawman” purchases if the firearm purchaser should have known that the third party is prohibited from buying or owning a gun under Ohio law, but lacks an outright prohibition on such sales. Putting federal provisions into state law makes it possible for law enforcement officers in Ohio to pursue charges on an issue that might not be pursued by federal officials.

Finally, the group recommended that Ohio law should be updated to ban armor-piercing ammunition, modeled after the definitions in federal law, so that law enforcement officers in Ohio can pursue charges on an issue that might not be pursued by federal officials and also enact prohibitions against bump stocks and other accessories – something the President has instructed the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) to review.

I encourage you to also share your thoughts with your representatives at the state and federal level, and I look forward to working with the members of the Ohio General Assembly on legislation that will help make Ohioans safer from gun violence.

Sincerely,

John R. Kasich

Governor"

What I don't see is his calls for magazine & firearms bans.
Either he is getting his butt whipped (again) and running scared, or he is lying (probable) to keep the heat off until it is to late for us.

I'm beginning to believe that far too many of Ohio's "established " politicians are taking their marching orders from somewhere other than the voters.
This is probably going to put a spotlight on DeWine's record, which I am sure a lot of his donors don't want people to remember.