BFA and OFCC endorse different gubernatorial candidates

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

BFA and OFCC endorse different gubernatorial candidates

Post by rickt »

The two Republican candidates for Ohio governor are touting dueling endorsements from major gun-rights groups.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... dates.html

There's at least one bit of misinformation in this article. BFA has never "successfully sued" Cleveland if one defines "success" as actually winning the lawsuit. BFA's lawsuit became moot when Cleveland lost its challenge to state preemption (Cleveland vs Ohio).
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: BFA and OFCC endorse different gubernatorial candidates

Post by Morne »

I am generally pleased with how that article was done. I was quoted accurately.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:
The two Republican candidates for Ohio governor are touting dueling endorsements from major gun-rights groups.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... dates.html

There's at least one bit of misinformation in this article. BFA has never "successfully sued" Cleveland if one defines "success" as actually winning the lawsuit. BFA's lawsuit became moot when Cleveland lost its challenge to state preemption (Cleveland vs Ohio).
Mike DeWine on gun control
http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Mike_ ... un_Control" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Voted YES on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
Voted NO on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted NO on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)
True, reciprocity has gone up while he was AG
And the AG handbook has been more available to instructors through county sheriffs

Mary Taylor, on the other hand, has a very positive record for our cause, even co sponsoring ORC9.68
She gets my vote
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I'm old enough (69) to remember when DeWine did all he could with Voinovich to kill any pro gun bill when they were senators. So I'm very suspicious with his run for governor even though Husted is very pro gun. I would have to cast my vote for Mary Taylor and hope if DeWine gets the nod he would not sell us down the stream.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I also remember the Mike DeWine of the 1980's before I lived in Ohio. He isn't my guy... for anything.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

qmti wrote:I'm old enough (69) to remember when DeWine did all he could with Voinovich to kill any pro gun bill when they were senators. So I'm very suspicious with his run for governor even though Husted is very pro gun. I would have to cast my vote for Mary Taylor and hope if DeWine gets the nod he would not sell us down the stream.
Upon further thought, the BFA endorsement is more political because the organization is more compromising than OFCC and they feel they have a better chance with DeWine/Husted ticket even with DeWine's anti-gun history. Compromising example is SB142 which they support and hasn't gone anywhere. OFCC is more a stand your ground organization on gun rights like GOA. That's why I support the latter. I do believe Mary Taylor is a up hill battle.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We thank you for your support, and for what it's worth, the NRA board members from Ohio have ALL endorsed Mary Taylor.

Also, I hear there's a vote on Friday by the ORP on whether they will make any endorsements before the primary.
If you have contacts in the party, now is the time to call them

JAne Timken, the head of the party, is on a youtube video floating around saying they were NOT going to endorse until after the primary

It is my personal opinion that the "good old boys", what some call the GOPe, have decided who we should vote for and are taking steps to make sure we obey, by making endorsements they shouldn't and refusing to allow debates.

I don't obey very well, and I love debates
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WOW, on BFA news dated Thursday 2-8-2018 it's stated that they represent over 4 million Ohio gun owners. Is that a broad representation of what they think Ohio has in gun ownership or is it their actual membership? The NRA states they have 5 million members nationwide. Seems a LITTLE exaggerated.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

qmti wrote:WOW, on BFA news dated Thursday 2-8-2018 it's stated that they represent over 4 million Ohio gun owners. Is that a broad representation of what they think Ohio has in gun ownership or is it their actual membership? The NRA states they have 5 million members nationwide. Seems a LITTLE exaggerated.
Not sure where they get that from because it is estimated 19.6% of Ohioans own guns. With our population of 11.6 million, that would put at most 2.3 million. Now, I'm not sure if that 19.6% includes ALL people in Ohio or only those over the age of 18/21. So the 2.3 could be even smaller.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

qmti wrote:WOW, on BFA news dated Thursday 2-8-2018 it's stated that they represent over 4 million Ohio gun owners. Is that a broad representation of what they think Ohio has in gun ownership or is it their actual membership? The NRA states they have 5 million members nationwide. Seems a LITTLE exaggerated.
BFA is good at one thing ,...rolling over on important issues. :twisted: BFA sucks just my opinion.
Black Rifles Matter
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

steves 50de wrote:
BFA is good at one thing ,...rolling over on important issues. :twisted: BFA sucks just my opinion.
They just want to say they got a win. They don't care how they do it, as long as it's a win.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Irvine said he believes DeWine had a change of heart after he left the U.S. Senate in 2006. After moving back to Ohio, DeWine reconnected with friends and family who hunt and fish, Irvine said.

"I think like a lot of other people, he lost his way in DC in the swamp there. But he came home and reconnected with his roots, and he's been outstanding to work with," Irvine said.
Sorry, but why should I give a hoot about Irvine or BFA or anybody "believes" to be true. I can however certainly understand someone having a change of heart after ten + years. Now if Dewine himself would publically say what he now believes, then maybe I'd believe it.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

M-Quigley wrote:
Irvine said he believes DeWine had a change of heart after he left the U.S. Senate in 2006. After moving back to Ohio, DeWine reconnected with friends and family who hunt and fish, Irvine said.

"I think like a lot of other people, he lost his way in DC in the swamp there. But he came home and reconnected with his roots, and he's been outstanding to work with," Irvine said.
Sorry, but why should I give a hoot about Irvine or BFA or anybody "believes" to be true. I can however certainly understand someone having a change of heart after ten + years. Now if Dewine himself would publically say what he now believes, then maybe I'd believe it.

I made this very point to Jon Husted himself a couple days before we made our endorsement.
I was more or less told that wasn’t going to happen and we should trust him to keep Mr. DeWine in check while in office.
Ain't activism fun?

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Trust a politician?!?!?! Mwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah right.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I would like to ask Mr Irvine what hunting and fishing have to do with GUN RIGHTS and gun law's. :lol: That what a politician would say, statements like that show me BFA is a joke. :roll:
Last edited by steves 50de on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Rifles Matter