HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 228: Stand your ground + other changes

Post by MrMagoo »

This will be pointed out tomorrow in our discussion at the statehouse regarding the problem with HB 228. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Can anybody tell me FOR SURE, what date HB 228 becomes law?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:Can anybody tell me FOR SURE, what date HB 228 becomes law?
Wish I could, but they haven't published the Effective Date as far as I can tell - and now the legislature's website has changed & I can't even see where it would be published... Sigh.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I knew about the first one and its related link to the bill summary - which has been redesigned recently and in any case still doesn't show an effective date for the bill for some reason...

Thanks for the 2nd link, that's not one I'd found before. Oddly, it doesn't show HB-228 at all for some reason.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:Thanks for the 2nd link, that's not one I'd found before. Oddly, it doesn't show HB-228 at all for some reason.
I've found the SOS website to be woefully behind at times. I've seen bills not listed until a month after they went into effect (i.e. four months from being signed into law). Just an observation.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I have spoken with the SoS office, who referred me to LSC, who referred me to Legislative Information, and I have no answer.

I did learn that it is LSC who files it with the SoS office,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

I got the same run around that Chuck got. After a bunch of calls I ended up back at the SOS office. The SOS office told me that they cannot release any information until it's on their website. Their website is down till next week. He could not or would not tell me who gave him those instructions.

The only thing I have to go on is what the House clerk's office told me when I called it last week. The person I talked to said it was filed with the SOS on Dec. 27.

Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

Any updates on the “fix” for the “fix”?
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

xpd54 wrote:Any updates on the “fix” for the “fix”?
The latest I've heard is that, as many suspected, even though the screw-up was LSC's fault the error was introduced early enough (before the Senate's final vote and the House concurrence vote) that it can't be fixed any way other than legislation. It will require an emergency bill to fix the error before the new law takes effect. It's unclear if the OGA is willing to go that route or not. If not, it's hard to say when the fix might be done - perhaps added to another bill, or a standalone bill that has to go through regular order and will lag behind the new law.
NRA Life Member

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Gee, what a surprise. :roll:
JustaShooter wrote:
xpd54 wrote:Any updates on the “fix” for the “fix”?
The latest I've heard is that, as many suspected, even though the screw-up was LSC's fault the error was introduced early enough (before the Senate's final vote and the House concurrence vote) that it can't be fixed any way other than legislation. It will require an emergency bill to fix the error before the new law takes effect. It's unclear if the OGA is willing to go that route or not. If not, it's hard to say when the fix might be done - perhaps added to another bill, or a standalone bill that has to go through regular order and will lag behind the new law.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I weould very much like to be involved in any State house meet and greets to try and get these changes effected. Even better ifnks we can get these politicians to schedule a meeting with them rather than some twenty something who is clueless. Leave me a message if something comes up, I need at least a week and maybe two to schedule time off. Thanks.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

So what's up with this Bill? I just got an email from a pro 2A group that says the way the bill stands as written that AR15/AK's and or any rifle with a thumbhole stock would be illegal once this bill becomes law.

Is this true?
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bama.45 wrote:So what's up with this Bill? I just got an email from a pro 2A group that says the way the bill stands as written that AR15/AK's and or any rifle with a thumbhole stock would be illegal once this bill becomes law.

Is this true?
They are sensationalizing it a bit in my opinion. Yes, the bill's wording got screwed up (accidentally, by the Legislative Services Commission) to where all semi-auto long guns with detachable magazines are potentially defined as "dangerous ordnance" under the bill. However, many believe the existing "sporting purposes" exemption will cover them. But, as "sporting purposes" is not defined under Ohio law, there is the potential for an overzealous LEO / prosecutor to make life difficult for owners of these firearms.

The fix requires a new piece of legislation to be passed into law, and the only way to fix it before HB228 takes effect is through an emergency bill, which as a general rule most lawmakers are reluctant to support. Any other type of legislation will lag behind the effective date of HB228, leaving a window during which there is some risk as I describe above.
NRA Life Member

Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Wow...Just wow... Good old government for ya..They screw up and it literally takes an act of govt to fix it.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson