Another notification request

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Another notification request

Post by MrMagoo »

Under the language of amendmended HB 142, a person can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. My question to friends and members of OFCC is this: What fields of employment would be negatively affected (denied employment, fired, etc)) by a person having a "carrying a concealed weapon" record? Thanks again, Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Another notification request

Post by schmieg »

MrMagoo wrote:Under the language of amendmended HB 142, a person can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. My question to friends and members of OFCC is this: What fields of employment would be negatively affected (denied employment, fired, etc)) by a person having a "carrying a concealed weapon" record? Thanks again, Gary
Just about any; it depends on the potential employer, of course, but if they are doing background checks, you can be assured that they want people with clean records and that sounds serious, though those of us with some knowledge know that it is not. Most jobs in education and health services would look askance at that charge and pass you buy as will many corporations. They view it as evidence of someone who carries guns and flaunts the law.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Gary I have to go along with Mike here. Background checks are probably the normal rather than the exception for most fields of employment nowadays. Just a charge of " carrying a concealed weapon" might be a red flag, even without a subsequent conviction.

I don't imagine many HR people will understand or care about the distinction between someone who forgot to notify, versus someone who spent time "runnin' the streets" in Tweed Ring's Iron Triangle of Trouble.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

In my current work as a chemical truck driver, there are two background checks besides whatever my particular employer checks .... TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) and the HME (Hazardous Materials Endorsement). I don't recall for sure if weapons charges were specifically disqualifying on those checks or not but there were multiple pages of "Have you ever plead guilty to, no contest, forfeited money, to ....... ) questions.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I would agree... just about any job that does a background check is going to have a problem with this. HR is not going to understand the nuances... nor want the liability of hiring someone with a conviction of "carrying a concealed weapon."

I'd ask the lawmakers if they would hire someone on their staff with a record stating "carrying a concealed weapon."
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Canada definitely won't let you in.