HB 395 : Another anti-bump fire bill

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

HB 395 : Another anti-bump fire bill

Postby rickt » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 am

H. B. No. 395 - Representative Patmon.
Cosponsors: Representatives Galonski, Smith, K., Kent, West.
To enact section 2923.133 of the Revised Code to prohibit the manufacture, sale, or transfer of any trigger crank, bump-fire device, or other product that accelerates a semi-automatic firearm's rate of fire but does not convert it into an automatic firearm.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-HB-395
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: HB 395 : Another anti-bump fire bill

Postby zeko » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

I noticed today that while this bill's senate companion, SB219, hasn't yet been assigned to a committee, HB395 has been assigned to the House Federalism and Interstate Relations committee. Further, the operant part of the bill would seem to ban much more than bump-fire stocks:

Sec. 2923.133. (A) No person shall manufacture, sell, or transfer a trigger crank, a bump-fire device, or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic firearm but not convert the semi-automatic firearm into an automatic firearm.

"Part" or "component" could refer to any kind of improved trigger (not just a binary trigger) that made operation smoother (perhaps a replacement for a defective trigger?) and hence "accelerated" the rate of fire, even by a very small amount. Stretching the definition? Certainly . . . but I don't doubt that the antis would love to stretch things even farther if given the opportunity.

Zeko
zeko

Postby qmti » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 pm

rickt wrote:
H. B. No. 395 - Representative Patmon.
Cosponsors: Representatives Galonski, Smith, K., Kent, West.
To enact section 2923.133 of the Revised Code to prohibit the manufacture, sale, or transfer of any trigger crank, bump-fire device, or other product that accelerates a semi-automatic firearm's rate of fire but does not convert it into an automatic firearm.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-HB-395

I noticed sponsor and co-sponsors are all Democrats. Why am I not surprised by this new bill being introduced.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby bignflnut » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am

It's difficult to stand out as a Dem these days, what with their lock-step conformity of thought (lest they be banished from the shire).
Proposing a bill, is one way to say, trust me, I'm ready to get the job done (i.e. I will take away freedom from the people you hate).
Being the target of the NRA is a serious resume enhancer and fundraising positive in the Swamp.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
bignflnut

Return to Tweed Ring's Ohio Politics and Legislation