Statehouse Hearings Posted Here

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Statehouse Hearings Posted Here

Post by Chuck »

This thread is to communicate hearing dates on our gun bills so that people may plan / schedule testifying or attending hearings.
Everyone is encouraged to post dates as soon as they learn them.
I'll go first:

HB 233 Rep Becker
Decriminalization of violating CPZs
Federalism and Interstate Relations committee, usually meets in Room 115 on Tuesdays or Thursdays, usually late in the afternoon at 4:00 pm

We are expecting Proponent testimony in two weeks. All those wishing to submit written testimony can email it to the committee chair, Representative Kristina Roegner Rep37@ohiohouse.gov or via the link on her page http://www.ohiohouse.gov/kristina-roegner/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(The above is her standard email address that they give to all representatives. I can't swear that she uses it)
Or you can get it to me or Morne and we'll make sure it makes it to the committee.

Of course verbal testimony, delivered in person is better, if you are so inclined
We will post the date as soon as we learn it ourselves
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Statehouse Hearings Posted Here

Post by Chuck »

FIVE gun bills have hearings this week in the Ohio House committee on Federalism and Interstate Relations, beginning Tuesday June 20, at 2:00 pm in Room 115 at the Statehouse.
The bills are:
HB 79 - Provide for firearms training for tactical medical professionals
HB 142 - Repealing notification
HB 201 - Constitutional Carry
HB 228 - Removes duty to retreat and much more
HB 233 - Rep. Becker's DEFEND bill, decriminalizes CPZs

Please attend if you can, offer testimony if you are so inclined. Make your voice heard!
The antis will be out in full force, let us make sure their voice isn't the only one heard!
As always, if you wish to submit written testimony, I will make sure it gets to the committee.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I see there's a possibility that HB 142 could be voted on but could also have some amendments offered.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't like the amendments, Don
Ain't activism fun?

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I see no reason to amend this bill as written. Do you know what they are Chuck?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

LE wants either a lesser penalty or some other way to jam us up.

We're pushing hard to reject any amendments
Ain't activism fun?

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

That's bad. Real bad. Hope we can head that off.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We just got official word that HB 142 if off the agenda for tomorrow
There are still four gun bills on it, however
Ain't activism fun?

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Any updates?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

ScottyPotty wrote:Any updates?
Well, reading the minutes it seems like there is a substitute HB 233 that hasn't been posted online yet. Looking at a comparison document entered in the record I'm cautiously optimistic that among other things that having a CHL might authorize the carrying of any deadly weapon.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The room was overflowing, I am told, and there were several people from OFCC testifying

Testimonies can be found here: http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/fede ... -relations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Choose the June 20 drop down arrow

Thank you to everyone who attended
Things are getting busy!
Ain't activism fun?

JN01

Post by JN01 »

djthomas wrote:
ScottyPotty wrote:Any updates?
Well, reading the minutes it seems like there is a substitute HB 233 that hasn't been posted online yet. Looking at a comparison document entered in the record I'm cautiously optimistic that among other things that having a CHL might authorize the carrying of any deadly weapon.
That would be great, hopefully they would also make the appropriate changes to ORC 9.68 to prevent cities from interfering.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Look for a VERY IMPORTANT announcement here tomorrow evening about legislation working it's way through the process, and keep your fingers crossed!

And be ready to contact your house representative
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

As we enter into this Independence Day holiday weekend we should all reflect on the founder's drive to protect our freedoms. Today we have our own battles to fight, and this is your trumpet call to action:
This Wednesday 7/5/2017 there will be a VERY IMPORTANT hearing in the Ohio House Federalism & Interstate Relations Committee at 1pm (Statehouse, Room #115). Two (2) of our high priority pro-gun bills are on the list as having possible votes. Among them is HB142 (repeals active notification requirement for CHL holders when stopped by law enforcement), which OFCC will be scoring as a KEY VOTE for which legislators respect our rights.

But all is not sunshine and roses - there is the possibility of an amendment that could water down HB142. It is imperative that HB142 get a fair up-or-down vote with the AS INTRODUCED LANGUAGE. We know full well that this is the #1 issue to our members and we're pulling with you on this critical bill.

Here's the list of all the bills to be considered:
HB142 (notification repeal)
HB233 (decriminalizing no-guns signs)

Please CALL & EMAIL your state representatives indicating your support for these bills! Reiterate that HB142's AS INTRODUCED LANGUAGE is what needs to move forward. You can find your state representative by going to the "Member Search" tool at the bottom left of this page and entering your zip code:
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If these bill(s) get voted out of committee on Wednesday there is the possibility of a full house floor vote on Thursday 7/6/2017! This would be the last chance for the house to act before the summer recess.

Don't let this golden opportunity slip by!
Call/email your representative today!!!
Ain't activism fun?

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Chuck,

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I've contacted my rep.