Statehouse Hearings Posted Here

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Statehouse Hearings Posted Here

Post by qmti »

I watched the Ohiohouse.Org/video and most if not all of the dissenting Democrats basically had the same doom and gloom opinions. Far as I could tell, all the Democrats that gave testimony where from large metropolitan districts. I sent my Representative Rob Portman my views on HB233. I don't bother with Representative Brown since my email would just get deleted as soon as he would read it, if he does.
JN01

Post by JN01 »

qmti wrote:I watched the Ohiohouse.Org/video and most if not all of the dissenting Democrats basically had the same doom and gloom opinions. Far as I could tell, all the Democrats that gave testimony where from large metropolitan districts. I sent my Representative Rob Portman my views on HB233. I don't bother with Representative Brown since my email would just get deleted as soon as he would read it, if he does.
Portman and Brown are US Senators, they have nothing to do with Ohio legislation. Contact your Ohio State Senator.
JN01

Post by JN01 »

I'm a little confused on exactly what HB 233 is saying.

Is it decriminalizing violations of posted 1)private property only, 2)private and government property, or 3)private and certain specified government property (i.e. school zone and courthouse)?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JN01 wrote:I'm a little confused on exactly what HB 233 is saying.
The way I read it, it decriminalizes all gun-free zones, both private property and government property (except Federal facilities).

Try this summary out: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/downlo ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

JN01 wrote:
qmti wrote:I watched the Ohiohouse.Org/video and most if not all of the dissenting Democrats basically had the same doom and gloom opinions. Far as I could tell, all the Democrats that gave testimony where from large metropolitan districts. I sent my Representative Rob Portman my views on HB233. I don't bother with Representative Brown since my email would just get deleted as soon as he would read it, if he does.
Portman and Brown are US Senators, they have nothing to do with Ohio legislation. Contact your Ohio State Senator.
Thanks for the correction. Not the first mistake I've made in my life. I've made bigger ones like marring my first wife.
JN01

Post by JN01 »

I found my answer under the new proposed ORC 2923.1214:
Sec. 2923.1214. (A) No concealed handgun licensee or
qualified military member shall knowingly convey or attempt to
convey a deadly weapon into any place listed in division (B) of
section 2923.126
of the Revised Code or in violation of a sign
posted pursuant to division (C)(3)(a) of that section, unless
otherwise permitted under that section or section 2923.12,
2923.121, 2923.122, or 2923.123 of the Revised Code, and do
either of the following:

(1) Refuse or fail to leave upon being discovered and
being requested to leave by the owner, lessee, or person in
control of the premises or by that individual's agent or
employee;
(2) Return within thirty days to the same premises while
knowingly in possession of a deadly weapon without privilege to
do so.

(B) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is
guilty of criminal trespass with a deadly weapon, a misdemeanor
of the fourth degree.
2923.126 (B) covers specified prohibited areas, 2923.126(C)(3)(a) covers private property that is posted.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:The way I read it, it decriminalizes all gun-free zones, both private property and government property (except Federal facilities).
I believe that it does decriminalize federal facilities as well, with respect to Ohio law. This has long been a problem, albeit with the same degree of criticality as the federal GFSZA as concerns people with out of state permits: rarely enforced but on the books nonetheless.

More specifically, at the federal level carrying a firearm on postal property (but not in a building) is on par with spitting on their sidewalk: a $50 citation. Having it in your car on VA grounds is similar I believe. However it's simultaneously a felony under Ohio law because you are carrying somewhere that federal law prohibits and that is a enumerated Ohio CPZ.

I've long said that the restriction on carrying where federal law prohibits should be struck from the books. Of course an Ohio license can't authorize what federal law prohibits, so there's no need to codify that in Ohio law, thus creating a duplicate crime (with more severe penalties in many cases) at the state level. If it's illegal under federal law then let the federal authorities prosecute it. It's simply not a state matter.

Some might say oh but it was put in the law to remind licensees that federal facilities are a no no. That's all well and good, but then why have we codified all sorts of exceptions to our school zone law that ostensibly permit certain people to do things prohibited under federal law? For example, we allow non-licensed military people and non-Ohio CHL holders on school grounds when the GFSZA clearly does not permit this.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:The way I read it, it decriminalizes all gun-free zones, both private property and government property (except Federal facilities).
I believe that it does decriminalize federal facilities as well, with respect to Ohio law.
I agree, thanks for clarifying that - I had worded it poorly.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

HB 142 has a sixth hearing before the Ohio House Federalism and Interstate relations committee Tuesday, September 19 at 3:00 pm in Room 115 at the Ohio State House

Please attend if you can and make your voices heard.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Haha!
I apparently became so disheartened by HB142 getting watered down that I abandoned this thread.
I am unpinning it now and will be using the 2018 Lame duck thread until the end of this legislative session
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

The Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee will hold hearings Monday on Sub HB 228 (stand your ground and other goodies) and HB 142 (notification. If at all possible please be there. The committee meetings I've been to recently have all been stacked with Red Shirts (Mons Demand Action). Let's stack the committee room with pro gun folks. If you plan to testify, please send Drew.Hawking@ohiosenate.gov an electronic copy of your testimony and a completed witness slip as soon as possible. Copy the link into your browser for the witness slip. http://webmail.ohioccw.org/index.php/ma ... chmentId/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

There's been some confusion about the link not working and I apologize for that. The latest from Sen. Coley's legislative aide, if you are testifying at the statehouse, you can submit testimony ahead of time and fill out a witness slip at the hearing. If you are sending written testimony in and will not be testifying in person, it will be accepted without a witness slip.

Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Here is a good link for the Witness slip

http://ohioccw.org/images/ElectronicWitnessSlipGOR.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck and Mr. Magoo,
There's an option to submit written testimony without being present? Is this advisable? Is this of any consequence? Does it detract from the testimony if the author isn't there to thunderously deliver it?
What would you two advise? What gets the ear of the committee?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

bignflnut wrote:Chuck and Mr. Magoo,
There's an option to submit written testimony without being present? Is this advisable? Is this of any consequence? Does it detract from the testimony if the author isn't there to thunderously deliver it?
What would you two advise? What gets the ear of the committee?
My written testimony on HB 142 was quoted in a Gongwer News Service story and that quote was mentioned in a BFA story on their web site.