Governor's Race

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Governor's Race

Post by Werz »

djthomas wrote:
Werz wrote:I have seen Mike DeWine at a number of GOP and Ohio prosecutor events over the years. Every time I have seen him, he is always "working the room." He is a consummate campaigner.
Mr. DeWine is not one to be underestimated.
Likewise I've seen him at several law enforcement conferences sponsored by his office/BCI and this is spot on. He's not a tall guy ... in fact he's rather short, but he's definitely the biggest guy in the room.

He was at the Velez funeral last year and I saw him in one of the foyers outside the mens room. I definitely got that "working the room" vibe. He wasn't doing anything inappropriate mind you but just the smooth handshake to handshake with a quick backslap for anybody who is anyone was hard to miss. In our lobby with 30 people I'd bet he knew or made it seem like he knew at least 10 of them personally, and along the way he met 20 more.
He's kind of the antithesis of Dave Yost.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

H.R. 38 would eliminate the confusing patchwork of state laws that make it difficult for law-abiding gun owners to travel across the country with their firearms for personal protection. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act affirms that law-abiding citizens who are qualified to carry concealed firearms in one state can carry in other states that allow residents to do so.
A copy of the letter signed by attorneys general from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma*, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming can be found here.

Saw this at another gun site. Has DeWine become a little more gun friendly since his Senate days? I prefer Husted but DEWine is better than the Democrats.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I'd have to disagree. With solidly anti-gun people, you have an opponent that you can rally against. With someone from your own party that squishy on an issue, then you have an uphill battle to rally against them if needed and will have to go against those who will excuse his behavior because he's "one of us".
qmti wrote:I prefer Husted but DEWine is better than the Democrats.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Didn't we have an issue with DeWine when he was a U.S. Senator?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Is he the Ohio politician who started crying during a speech in front of the UN?

Was a number of years back and can't for the life of me which Ohio politician it was.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Javelin Man wrote:Didn't we have an issue with DeWine when he was a U.S. Senator?
Yes, we did. He favored re-authorizing the Clinton AWB when it was set to expire in 2004. When the Brady crew announced their 10 favorite US Senators for the 2006 election it was DeWine and 9 hard left Democrats.

I know some very good people who are supporting DeWine. I'm not one of them. Nor are most people who are involved with the pro-gun movement.

And while his campaign would have you believe that he has "seen the light" and is now pro-gun there are things he is doing today as AG that put the lie to such a claim.

OFCC is investigating alternatives. We hope to have something to report soon.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

WY_Not wrote:Is he the Ohio politician who started crying during a speech in front of the UN?

Was a number of years back and can't for the life of me which Ohio politician it was.
I think that was former Governor George Voinovich.
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

That is the guy. He wasn't speaking at the UN. He was speaking out against John Bolton's nomination to be U.S. Ambassador to the UN when he broke into tears . Absolutely pathetic display.
pniemeyer wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Is he the Ohio politician who started crying during a speech in front of the UN?

I think that was former Governor George Voinovich.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Voinovich (DeWine's fmr boss) was also dead set against CCW.
We lost a trooper here in Ashland Co., IIRC, he made some pretty stupid statements, pretty much blaming the pro-gun movement for the act of a drugged out thug.
(I used thug simply because the TOS does not allow me to properly describe the individual)
It was after that, when DeWine was a US Senator, that he started getting cozy with Schumer about the "iron pipeline".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

According to past posts by the BFA, even Democrat Richard Cordray is better on gun issues than Dewine. Did I wake up in an alternate universe?
Anybody got any additional information on Cordray, related to gun issues?
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

It would be interesting to hear/see Husted's initial announcement of the reasons for his agreeing to run in the #2 spot on Dewine's ticket, on live TV, so we can observe his body languages. :?:

(Are we being relegated to another 'lesser of the evils' Cordray vote here?)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

curmudgeon3 wrote:It would be interesting to hear/see Husted's initial announcement of the reasons for his agreeing to run in the #2 spot on Dewine's ticket, on live TV, so we can observe his body languages. :?:

(Are we being relegated to another 'lesser of the evils' Cordray vote here?)
I'm wondering what was the role of the ROC in this unholy alliance. I like John Husted but I don't much care for the company he keeps.
Mary Taylor is looking pretty good right now.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

M-Quigley wrote:According to past posts by the BFA, even Democrat Richard Cordray is better on gun issues than Dewine. Did I wake up in an alternate universe?
Anybody got any additional information on Cordray, related to gun issues?

Cordray used to be VERY pro gun rights. He was a great AG for us, and I do believe that OFCC endorsed both him and Ted Strickland one year, but I forget what year that was and I am too lazy to look it up.

Here is a story from 2010 about him from Cleveland dot com

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... _odds.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Down here the buzz is that Renacci may pick Cincinnati council member Amy Murray as his running mate. She supposedly had been shopping with both DeWine and Husted for a Lt. Governor job until they teamed up.

Naturally, in her current position she has no track record on firearms issues. I won't try to read the tea leaves by guessing. Her party, gun rights groups, and the media will have to flesh that out.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

RE: Cordray. Pro-gun Democrats have a history of switching sides once they reach the national stage, Kristin Gillibrand of NY being one example. We'll have to wait and see if Cordray was "tainted" by his sojourn in Washington.