HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:
qmti wrote:Jim Irvine from Buckeye Firearms contacted me on email about my opposition to Sub.HB142. I replied with most of the bullet points that "I see" as negative on the notification issue. It was a reply that I sent him on email on my opposition to the bill.
Received a reply from Jim Irvine, some good points, some I still disagree on. Don't know much about privacy laws so I won't copy/reprint his reply to me. Obviously he does support the Sub. bill and says it's better than what we have today as far as notification.
Tell him to post his points in the BFA forums, there is a thread going on over there where he's been asked to participate.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Mr.Magoo just texted me he did q & a for 25 minutes.
I'm guessing it was rough.
Gary is a good man for that sort of thing

He's a Marine, you know
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:Mr.Magoo just texted me he did q & a for 25 minutes.
I'm guessing it was rough.
Maybe, but I'd like to think that means they care. If the OFCC concerns were being dismissed out of hand I'm sure they could have found other things to talk about.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Sub bill was voted out of committee by a vote of 9-2
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Representative Scott Wiggam is going to be on the Chuck Douglas Radio show today at 5:30 pm.
98.9 FM in Columbus
Listen online at 989theanswer.com
Please call in and show him your appreciation
1-844-825-5988
Ain't activism fun?

zeko

Post by zeko »

I barely made it to the hearing (At work we were monitoring a fix to a network problem that had already been (unsuccessfully) "fixed" several times; when the latest fix looked OK at 1:30 pm I ran for Columbus).

Mr. Magoo's q & a session was indeed somewhat rough; several committee members seemed incredulous that anyone could think of sub HB142 as anything but an advancement. He explained the same thing several times.

I keep hearing that getting a vote on the original HB142 is impossible, absent something like a discharge petition (and I can see why such a petition is extremely unlikely). If this is the case, and sub HB142 is headed for the House floor and (probable) passage, what can be done to better the situation?

Three things occur to me as the most important changes to sub HB142:

1. The ability of certain municipalities to increase the penalty portion needs to be neutralized. Not being a lawyer, I don't know if that is possible . . . some seem to think that since the City of Niles case happened in 1984, ORC 9.68 (passed later) will affect this. I just don't know.

2. djthomas's suggestion about not having a conviction of improper notification constitute a criminal record needs to be implemented. If this can be done for certain drug offenses, it should be doable for this "offense".

3. The second part of notification which says we must "disclose" that we have a firearm needs to at least be changed to "acknowledge" that we have a fiream IF ASKED. This would at least insure that we wouldn't have to take the initiative anywhere in the stop.

Any such changes would probably have to be done in whatever Senate committee sub HB142 would land in. What other changes (which seem realistically possible) can people think of?

zeko
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm sure this is going to come across badly, but I honestly don't care. I've worked up a pretty good head of steam over how we've been given the shaft and anyone who doesn't like it can go pound sand.

There is no fixing this bill, you may as well try to polish a turd. Screw 'em.

I say we keep the pressure on our Representatives in the House. Tell them to vote against the substitute bill when it comes up for a vote. Tell them to amend it back to the original language. If they are in a position to do so, tell them to sit on it and keep it from coming to a vote. I don't care what they think, call them, again, and again, and again. Call so often you get on a first-name basis with their aides. Email them. Post on their FB pages. Let them know how distasteful we find this piece of garbage and how upset we are at having been bent over and told to enjoy it.

And those of you out there who are NRA members or BFA members and are *not* paid-up OFCC members: How's that working out for you? Feel like you are getting any value for your money? No? Then why not become an OFCC member and support an organization willing to actually fight for you and your rights!

I know you can't tell because of my Coordinator badge under my name, but I not only volunteer my time as a Coordinator, I'm a paid-up Patron member. And I pay for a membership for my wife. And for both of my sons. Because I think this organization deserves my support and because I know when it comes right down to it, both green money *and* numbers count.

How about you?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

We made news on another pro-gun site. Evidently we won't be getting a Christmas card from some lawmakers that are upset about our opposition to the Sub. HB142.

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own “facts” . . . Gun backers accuse cops of lying about Ohio conceal-carry law

The latter measure, House Bill 142, was a watered-down substitute for an original bill that would have wiped out penalties altogether. It did, however, cut the penalty for not speaking up about your guns from a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine to just a $25 fine.

To the frustration of some pro-gun lawmakers, the compromise wasn’t enough for some gun-rights advocates.

Chris Dorr, director of Ohio Gun Owners, asked, “Who is this committee trying to placate?” Answering himself, he said it must be people who don’t have “full restoration of gun-owners’ rights at heart.”

Gary Witt, director of Ohio Concealed Carry, said that when law-enforcement groups say it puts officers in danger when they don’t know about permit holders’ guns during detentions and traffic stops, they’re making “false claims.”
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

qmti wrote:We made news on another pro-gun site. Evidently we won't be getting a Christmas card from some lawmakers that are upset about our opposition to the Sub. HB142.

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own “facts” . . . Gun backers accuse cops of lying about Ohio conceal-carry law

The latter measure, House Bill 142, was a watered-down substitute for an original bill that would have wiped out penalties altogether. It did, however, cut the penalty for not speaking up about your guns from a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine to just a $25 fine.

To the frustration of some pro-gun lawmakers, the compromise wasn’t enough for some gun-rights advocates.

Chris Dorr, director of Ohio Gun Owners, asked, “Who is this committee trying to placate?” Answering himself, he said it must be people who don’t have “full restoration of gun-owners’ rights at heart.”

Gary Witt, director of Ohio Concealed Carry, said that when law-enforcement groups say it puts officers in danger when
they don’t know about permit holders’ guns during detentions and traffic stops, they’re making “false claims.”
Those "Law Enforcement" groups are a little squirrelly about about what they say for publication but, are they referring to "detention" situations while they're away from their cruisers and don't have immediate access to their computer ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Any situation you can't walk away from is a detention, be it in a store, on the sidewalk, etc
Ain't activism fun?

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Chuck wrote:I have submitted written testimony opposing the sub bill, and our own Mr. Magoo with attend and offer his own testimony opposing it also.
Should be interesting

Is anyone else attending?
Has this already happen, if not what's the date and time.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Pops Fun wrote:
Chuck wrote:I have submitted written testimony opposing the sub bill, and our own Mr. Magoo with attend and offer his own testimony opposing it also.
Should be interesting

Is anyone else attending?
Has this already happen, if not what's the date and time.
The hearing was Tuesday Sep 19, 3:00pm. After hearing the testimony, they voted it out of committee so it will at some point go to the house floor for a vote.

Please, everyone, continue to work on your Representatives and tell them to vote *NO* on this bill when it comes up for a vote!
NRA Life Member

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

qmti wrote:We made news on another pro-gun site.
Do tell? ...got a link?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

NavyChief wrote:
qmti wrote:We made news on another pro-gun site.
Do tell? ...got a link?
I'm computer challenged and have trouble with links. It was on Truth About Guns web site dated 9-20-2017.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Truth About Guns published a snippet. The original article is from the Columbus Dispatch.
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170920/g ... -carry-law
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin