HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Post by Chuck »

The original bill was "good legislation"
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
zeko

Post by zeko »

The substitute bill looks a lot like the situation in Texas (except that I don't think Texas has a penalty for non-compliance). Also, I don't remember that Texas required one to state that one was transporting a loaded gun -- I would assume that upon seeing the CHL, the officer would immediately ask whether a gun was present.

zeko
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I'll take decent legislation in practice over great legislation in theory.

This is like the Texas rules, except as you note there is no penalty for non-compliance. However it wasn't always that way. There, too, it was incremental. I believe they stepped it down to be the lowest offense and then a few years later dropped the penalty section.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

djthomas wrote:I'll take decent legislation in practice over great legislation in theory.
These are good words to the wise, right there.
I should take them to heart
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

the person must do both of the following:

(1) Display the person's concealed handgun license or documents demonstrating the person to be a qualified military member with the driver's license or state ID, or orally inform the officer or employee, at the same time as displaying the driver's license or state ID, that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license or is authorized to carry a concealed handgun as an active duty military member;

(2) Disclose that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle (R.C. 2923.12(B)(1), 2923.126(A), and 923.16(E)(1) and(2)).
It reads like you MUST show your license whether you are armed or not, then disclose that you are carrying a handgun. I did snip out a little part before this quote about being armed, but it's still too open for interpretation or poor training.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Wait... I don't get it....

So instead of a law that takes away inform, we get one where we now need to inform armed or not?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

gaptrick wrote:Wait... I don't get it....

So instead of a law that takes away inform, we get one where we now need to inform armed or not?
Nope. You are reading the new provisions out of context.
Modifies the notification requirements so that, when a law enforcement officer or employee of
the motor carrier enforcement unit stops a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and
requests the person's driver's license or state identification card ("ID"), the person must do both
of the following:

(1) Display the person's concealed handgun license or documents demonstrating the person
to be a qualified military member with the driver's license or state ID, or orally inform the officer or
employee, at the same time as displaying the driver's license or state ID, that the person has
been issued a concealed handgun license or is authorized to carry a concealed handgun as an
active duty military member;

(2) Disclose that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun or has a loaded handgun in
the motor vehicle (R.C. 2923.12(B)(1), 2923.126(A), and 2923.16(E)(1) and(2)).
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

According to the minutes, they didn't vote on accepting the sub bill, nor did they vote it out of committee

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... inutes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that link doesn't work, this one takes you to the committee page and one can click on the date to see the minutes, etc

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/fede ... -relations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

rickt wrote:

BFA statement to the committee:
Buckeye Firearms Association is happy to support Sub H.B. 142. We thank you for your work to address the issues of law enforcement as well as Concealed Handgun License holders.

Sub H.B. 142 is good legislation which solves problems which have existed since the first days of concealed carry in Ohio. It is good public policy which eliminates vagueness and protects both license holders and law enforcement.

Buckeye Firearms Association supports Sub H.B. 142 and will work to see it enacted into law.
We got hosed!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rickt wrote:BFA statement to the committee:
Buckeye Firearms Association is happy to support Sub H.B. 142. We thank you for your work to address the issues of law enforcement as well as Concealed Handgun License holders.

Sub H.B. 142 is good legislation which solves problems which have existed since the first days of concealed carry in Ohio. It is good public policy which eliminates vagueness and protects both license holders and law enforcement.

Buckeye Firearms Association supports Sub H.B. 142 and will work to see it enacted into law.
I want to say a very bad word now. :evil:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JustaShooter wrote:
rickt wrote:BFA statement to the committee:

I want to say a very bad word now. :evil:
Yep, me too.

This is not going to work out well at all. :cry:
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:According to the minutes, they didn't vote on accepting the sub bill, nor did they vote it out of committee

http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/cm_p ... inutes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that link doesn't work, this one takes you to the committee page and one can click on the date to see the minutes, etc

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/fede ... -relations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The minutes are from the last committee meeting in July (I checked both links), hence no mention of HB 142 anywhere. Minutes for today's meeting probably won't be posted until the next meeting.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

djthomas wrote:
Chuck wrote:According to the minutes, they didn't vote on accepting the sub bill, nor did they vote it out of committee

The minutes are from the last committee meeting in July (I checked both links), hence no mention of HB 142 anywhere. Minutes for today's meeting probably won't be posted until the next meeting.
Oh no,
Minutes of today's hearing are there
I've downloaded them
At that link, under "Hearings", click the little down arrow at the far right on the line with today's date, Sept 12 (the top one on the list)

Under General Submissions you can find both the text for the Sub HB 142 and the minutes for today's committee meeting
Click to download the PDFs (on the right side)

Here's the link again in case I copied it wrong
Ain't activism fun?

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:Oh no,
Minutes of today's hearing are there
I've downloaded them
At that link, under "Hearings", click the little down arrow at the far right on the line with today's date, Sept 12 (the top one on the list)

Under General Submissions you can find both the text for the Sub HB 142 and the minutes for today's committee meeting
Click to download the PDFs (on the right side)
No offense, but did you actually read the minutes? The file is called 7.05.17_Minutes.pdf and the first two lines of the document are:
House Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee
Minutes: July 5, 2017.

Then if you scroll through the minutes you'll see all sorts of discussion about HB 233 which was passed out of committee just before summer recess.

That's normal. Minutes of a given committee meeting are included in the materials for the next scheduled meeting of that committee. Thus I would expect the minutes of today's meeting to appear with the materials for the next meeting (9/19? Dunno).
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'm sorry, you are absolutely right I was dead wrong
Sorry about that
(I need to go correct a couple emails now)

My head must have been screwed on backwards
Ain't activism fun?