ORC on reporting stolen pistol

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

ORC on reporting stolen pistol

Post by MacDonald »

I am sorry to ask this, but I can not find a statute in the ORC on this and I know that does not mean the law does not exist...

Does Ohio law require a person to report a handgun stolen to the local or state police?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: ORC on reporting stolen pistol

Post by Chuck »

ORC 2923.20(A)(5)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.20v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance in the person's possession or under the person's control
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... when things get ugly and we all "lose" all of our firearms in a tragic boating accident we'll get in trouble for not reporting it. :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

(5) Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance in the person's possession or under the person's control.

What authorities?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

All my guns were lost in a terrible fishing accident on Lake Erie
I was lucky to survive
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes, but have you reported it yet? :mrgreen:
Chuck wrote:All my guns were lost in a terrible fishing accident on Lake Erie
I was lucky to survive
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It was in Canadian waters,
Ain't activism fun?

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... smuggling and failure to report. Sounds like we have a one man international crime spree in the works. :lol:
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Chuck, thank you for citing the statute and responding so quickly.

...and good luck on you trips to Canada... :wink:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WY_Not wrote:So... smuggling and failure to report. Sounds like we have a one man international crime spree in the works. :lol:
Perhaps, but who would have jurisdiction on those charges, the US or Canada? :lol:
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

M-Quigley wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So... smuggling and failure to report. Sounds like we have a one man international crime spree in the works. :lol:
Perhaps, but who would have jurisdiction on those charges, the US or Canada? :lol:

More importantly, does one have any firearms or dangerous ordnance in one's possession or under one's control if they've already been stolen?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Imagine that: Poorly worded, hard to enforce laws crafted by the OGA. Only takes 'em two years from introduction through hearings then onto long legislative vacations followed by summer vacations, then elections, and finally last minute voting for each of these goat ropes.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Oh, did I fail to mention those goat ropes ultimately contain little or non existent enforcement teeth? "We'll get it right next time, keep reelecting us!"

********************************************************************************
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

"Forthwith"?

Is that longer or shorter than "promptly"?

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Brian D. wrote:Imagine that: Poorly worded, hard to enforce laws crafted by the OGA. Only takes 'em two years from introduction through hearings then onto long legislative vacations followed by summer vacations, then elections, and finally last minute voting for each of these goat ropes.
In the above post from last night I may have used the word "vacations" once more than intended. Let's change the first one to "legislative vacillations". Hey, it was National Beer Day yesterday, that's as good an excuse as any.