ORC on reporting stolen pistol

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

curmudgeon3

Re: ORC on reporting stolen pistol

Post by curmudgeon3 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:"Forthwith"?

Is that longer or shorter than "promptly"?

:wink:
RFN, same as cc notification at LEO traffic stop.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WY_Not wrote:So... when things get ugly and we all "lose" all of our firearms in a tragic boating accident we'll get in trouble for not reporting it. :mrgreen:
It could cause you to do a lot of tap dancing when your gun is recovered in a fatal shooting that probably drug-related.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Werz wrote:
WY_Not wrote:So... when things get ugly and we all "lose" all of our firearms in a tragic boating accident we'll get in trouble for not reporting it. :mrgreen:
It could cause you to do a lot of tap dancing when your gun is recovered in a fatal shooting that probably drug-related.
Dang drug dealer has a hobby of scuba diving! 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:
Yeah, about that: Decades ago I swapped my brother a Browning Hi Power for a S&W Model 29. When he got divorced he let his ex keep the Hi Power. That gun was stolen from her by my niece's boyfriend, although nobody noticed at the time. Subsequently he indeed used the BHP in a murder. Only AFTER the trial, before sentencing (during which time the killer WASN'T locked up by the way) did the cops there contact me about being the original owner, through the Form 4473. All I could do was confirm that yeah, I'd bought it in 1985 or whatever, and traded it to my brother.

Nothing more came of it, far as I know. The whole thing got me curious so a few weeks later I made contact with the detective who'd called me. He wouldn't tell me a darn thing, other than there was no likelihood of that gun coming back into my possession. (To be honest I truly believe he took it home himself, I later learned he had a habit of that.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:Nothing more came of it, far as I know. The whole thing got me curious so a few weeks later I made contact with the detective who'd called me. He wouldn't tell me a darn thing, other than there was no likelihood of that gun coming back into my possession. (To be honest I truly believe he took it home himself, I later learned he had a habit of that.)
Just curious - why would it [come back to you]? You admitted that it was no longer yours.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hey DJ, it didn't hurt to "naively" ask, you know?

It struck me odd the trace of the gun didn't take place until the trial was in the sentencing stage. During which time, the convicted killer was OUT ON HIS OWN RECOGNIZANCE.

Great legal system we got going ain't it?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Hey DJ, it didn't hurt to "naively" ask, you know?

It struck me odd the trace of the gun didn't take place until the trial was in the sentencing stage. During which time, the convicted killer was OUT ON HIS OWN RECOGNIZANCE.

Great legal system we got going ain't it?
Speed plays a huge factor. I think for us an etrace takes a good 2-3 weeks if not longer. I'm not sure if FFLs have a required time to respond but think about it in the old paper world. ATF has a serial number, they have to call the manufacturer. The manufacturer has to search their records and find their distributor. Then the ATF has to contact the distributor whom has to go through their records and find the dealer they sold it to to. The dealer then has to go through their records and find whom they sold it to. And I'm sure some of those steps probably don't place a high priority on calling the ATF back and may wait a few days.

Luckily the last shooting we had the shooter told us who he bought it from and gave us his contact info (private party sale.) The seller was super cooperative and remembered the sale and thought nothing odd with selling to this guy.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Werz wrote:
They would have no clue if you sold it, lost it, or it was stolen . I was question on a street sweeper I bought new by the Akron homicide unit. :shock: A gun can change hands a lot before it is used illegally. The officer that called me even said the same thing.
Black Rifles Matter
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

The reason I ask is that I loaned a gun to a friend and he has relocated without letting me know where he went. So now I am SOL.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
docachna

Post by docachna »

MacDonald wrote:The reason I ask is that I loaned a gun to a friend and he has relocated without letting me know where he went. So now I am SOL.
Is this a theft, and are you required to report it ?? Seems to me it's unquestionably a theft, thus triggering your duty to report its loss.

Unless he's off the grid, it's fairly easy to find folks these days, so if you report it, you might even do a little sleuthing before you report it. If you find him, the LEO might just go ahead and go after him if they know they don't have to do much work for an easy closure, and you might get your piece back.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE