HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:Watched channel 7 news Dayton tonight and they had a segment on the HB142 and explained the new law.
Careful, it isn't a new law yet - and may never be. It must be passed by the Senate and signed by the Governor first. (In the mean time, OFCC will be fighting to get full repeal, as was in the original as-introduced HB 142...)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

qmti wrote:Watched channel 7 news Dayton tonight and they had a segment on the HB142 and explained the new law. They also had a spokesman for the Ohio FOP which expressed his disgust for the passage of the bill. He says it will increase confrontations between law enforcement and concealed carriers.
At least he wasn't claiming officer safety.
I think they realize that argument got shot down in committee
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Found out about this this morning via a blurb from NRA-ILA. Wish I'd have known earlier I'da been there. Hope we get better notice when it comes up in the Senate. Does this need to go through a committee in the Senate or does it just go directly to the floor for a vote?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It goes through the same procedure, get assigned a committee, three hearings minimum, then committee vote and finally a floor vote.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
zeko

Post by zeko »

Is there a source for the text of the Vitale amendment?

Zeko
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:
qmti wrote:Watched channel 7 news Dayton tonight and they had a segment on the HB142 and explained the new law. They also had a spokesman for the Ohio FOP which expressed his disgust for the passage of the bill. He says it will increase confrontations between law enforcement and concealed carriers.
Listened to the FOP statement on channel 7 again this morning. He is implying that officer safety is a concern and why a CCW carrier should not notify the officer of a weapon upon any contact with law enforcement. I would imagine that the FOP will express their concerns when it go before the senate and Kasick.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

qmti wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Listened to the FOP statement on channel 7 again this morning. He is implying that officer safety is a concern and why a CCW carrier should not notify the officer of a weapon upon any contact with law enforcement. I would imagine that the FOP will express their concerns when it go before the senate and Kasick.

My mistake on first sentence. I meant to say ccw carrier SHOULD notify the officer, delete "not". My apologies.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Did he say HOW notification made the officer safer?
Ain't activism fun?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:Did he say HOW notification made the officer safer?
That, he did not. Of course newscasts condense their reports so his complete statement wasn't given, I presume.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TIME FOR ANOTHER COLUMBUS DEMONSTRATION / OPEN CARRY WALK.....WHERE'S DAN DAN WHEN YOU NEED A AK47 ?

I'LL TAKE A DAY OFF FOR THAT....
AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE DOWN WITH STEVE OR JEFF. :)

I'M SERIOUS ABOUT TAKING A DAY OFF.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:TIME FOR ANOTHER COLUMBUS DEMONSTRATION / OPEN CARRY WALK.....WHERE'S DAN DAN WHEN YOU NEED A AK47 ?

I'LL TAKE A DAY OFF FOR THAT....
AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE DOWN WITH STEVE OR JEFF. :)

I'M SERIOUS ABOUT TAKING A DAY OFF.
I was thinking the same thing!!
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Rep. Vitale explains what happened

https://youtu.be/-7OZ0r5ptOM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Here's a story from the Toledo Blade
Notice all the mistakes in their description of the actual bill

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2017/1 ... asure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Are these media outlets just parroting the BFA's line on the bill?

Maybe it's my ESL - or maybe just the fact that I suck at legalese - but it seemed to me in reading the BFA releases that their take is considerably different from the OFCC's? It seems that they do not see any of the very apparent dangers, at all, of this bill?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Are these media outlets just parroting the BFA's line on the bill?

Maybe it's my ESL - or maybe just the fact that I suck at legalese - but it seemed to me in reading the BFA releases that their take is considerably different from the OFCC's? It seems that they do not see any of the very apparent dangers, at all, of this bill?
I think they see the issue we have at OFCC, but they embraced the sub bill with the attitude that something, regardless how bad/incorrect it is, is better than nothing. BFA could be appeasing the OSP/FOP for some gain of some kind. But that's just my opinion.