HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by Chuck »

Chuck wrote:Oh yeah?
I can’t find that. Would you mind copying that part here?
And I got the same thing from OGO now.
Can’t share the PDF from my tablet, but it looks good, maybe even our original language once all the deletions and replacements get done
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

I couldn't find it on today's calendar.
Chuck wrote:Can’t share the PDF from my tablet, but it looks good, maybe even our original language once all the deletions and replacements get done
So, if it's back to the original language (is it back to the original language?), do we need to call our Reps and have them vote in favor of this bill?
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

rimfireOH wrote:I couldn't find it on today's calendar.
Chuck wrote:Can’t share the PDF from my tablet, but it looks good, maybe even our original language once all the deletions and replacements get done
So, if it's back to the original language (is it back to the original language?), do we need to call our Reps and have them vote in favor of this bill?
If it's close to being back to the original language the OSP and FOP will prod Kasick to veto the bill if it comes to his desk.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

No, it is NOT back to its original language
All we know is an amendment is going to be proposed .
The amendment may fail (probably), or if the amendment passes, the bill itself may fail.

We shall see
I wish I was there
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

You can watch it live here
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Not really much prior notice, Chuck. BFA put their blurb out either late last night, or this morning. Don't beat yerself up over it, please.

Wish I could afford to live within walking distance of the dang Statehouse, but that's not on the horizon.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Passed "as is" 69-24. No amendments offered on the floor.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Yep, we had our chain yanked, didn’t we?

Wiggam just said he never discussed Castile with the gun groups. He most certainly did discuss it with me.
Ain't activism fun?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

They took a vote...what the heck...which way.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:Wiggam just said he never discussed Castile with the gun groups. He most certainly did discuss it with me.
He was responding to Representative Howse's question. She asked about Castile in the context of discussing notification with "gun owners of color." Last I checked OFCC doesn't stand for Ohioans for Colored Carriers. :D

Honestly I'm not sure what Rep. Howese's point was. Was she hoping gun owners of color would have said "oh no, we love the man. We want to have to repeatedly notify under ambiguous circumstances." ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I know what he was responding to, he told her that regarding gun rights groups, he didn’t discuss it.
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

djthomas wrote:Passed "as is" 69-24. No amendments offered on the floor.
Rep Vitale confirmed to us that he stood twice and even shouted “Mr. Speaker!” But was refused recognition.
What’s more, every representative in the chamber had his amendment on their computer terminals, with his intention of offering it.
Refusing to call on him was dirty political trick, plain and simple.

Speaker Rosenberger was determined to deny us our vote.
Ain't activism fun?

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:Rep Vitale confirmed to us that he stood twice and even shouted “Mr. Speaker!” But was refused recognition.
That is BS. IMO there should be political ramifications against any speaker who refuses to allow an amendment to be offered (from either side) as long as it is germane to the subject at hand. You never heard of such chicanery while Batchelder was speaker. He allowed the opposition to offer amendments to our bills all the time. They got voted down and the process continued. Shouldn't have informally passed it while Hagan had the gavel...

Wiggam was definitely the most nervous speaker of the day. It was pretty obvious when he lost is place in his speech, so I'm not surprised the Q&A came out as it did.

I liked how Rep. Holmes, (D - McDonald) had the (whooo) to eloquently call out the FOP for being in opposition, more or less saying they don't get it. I know nothing about that gentleman but I'd like to learn more.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

He quizzed me pretty hard in testimony about remaining silent.
I told him if asked, we were bound to answer truthfully, but I thought we should still have that right to remain silent.
Ain't activism fun?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Watched channel 7 news Dayton tonight and they had a segment on the HB142 and explained the new law. They also had a spokesman for the Ohio FOP which expressed his disgust for the passage of the bill. He says it will increase confrontations between law enforcement and concealed carriers.