HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by CroManGun »

qmti wrote:SOMEWHERE in this forum I read that a poor guy got charged for not notifying a forth officer that came onto the scene that he had a concealed weapon. I have decided that if I am evolved in a situation that multiple officers are arriving on a scene that I would simply tuck my shirt/coat behind my gun so it is open carry which is legal in Ohio to avoid this situation . Any thoughts on this?
That's the procedure I use when I'm in a situation, such as an accident scene, where LEO is on scene. NOTE : Do NOT attempt to uncover your gun in front of LEO! Someone might get the wrong idea and ventilate you!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

CroManGun wrote:That's the procedure I use when I'm in a situation, such as an accident scene, where LEO is on scene. NOTE : Do NOT attempt to uncover your gun in front of LEO! Someone might get the wrong idea and ventilate you!
And you'll potentially be in violation of ORC 2923.12 (B)(2) and/or (3) vis a vis keeping one's hands in plain site and not having contact with a concealed handgun during a law enforcement encounter. Unconcealing definitely needs to be done in a prudent and timely manner.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

djthomas wrote:
CroManGun wrote:That's the procedure I use when I'm in a situation, such as an accident scene, where LEO is on scene. NOTE : Do NOT attempt to uncover your gun in front of LEO! Someone might get the wrong idea and ventilate you!
And you'll potentially be in violation of ORC 2923.12 (B)(2) and/or (3) vis a vis keeping one's hands in plain site and not having contact with a concealed handgun during a law enforcement encounter. Unconcealing definitely needs to be done in a prudent and timely manner.

Or just return to your car, if that's available, away from law enforcement, get in and disarm, and lock it up. Don't need to "notify" if it is not on your person. Am I going wrong here?
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

qmti wrote:Or just return to your car, if that's available, away from law enforcement, get in and disarm, and lock it up. Don't need to "notify" if it is not on your person. Am I going wrong here?
That won't work for several reasons. If it's in your car, even in plain sight, it is legally considered concealed and you still must notify. Also, to disarm you are violating where the law says you must not touch it once the LEO has begun to approach.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Chuck wrote:HB 142 - First committee hearing!!

Tuesday, April 25, at 4:00pm, the Ohio House committee on Federalism and Interstate Relations will have its first hearing on HB 142, repealing notification for CHL holders. This hearing is for SPONSOR testimony only, with Representative Wiggam being the only one to testify that day.

The committee usually meets in Room 115 in the Statehouse, but that is subject to change. Liberty minded citizens are encouraged to attend and support Rep. Wiggam as he testifies. If you do attend, please make your support known by wearing your OFCC gear, (or other pro-gun clothing)

Be aware that while you can have your gun in the Statehouse parking garage, you can't take it inside, and the nice OSHP guards at the metal detectors look very down on both spare mags and pocket knives and won't let you inside with them.

If you want to attend but don't know your way around down there, shoot me a PM and I will try to have someone meet you there.
Carry on and stay safe out there
There are 3 other firearms related bills scheduled for sponsor testimony at this hearing. HB 151 (Patmon) looks like a universal background check scheme.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
zeko

Post by zeko »

HB151, 152, and 153 are all by Representative Patmon:

HB151: "Universal" background checks
HB152: Requiring "firearm restricted" on a felon's hunting license (he can't hunt with a firearm)
HB153: Prohibiting sale of "replica" guns (with some exceptions)

At present none of these bills have any co-sponsors, while HB142 has fifteen. Perhaps 151-153 will quietly expire in committee?

Zeko
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

zeko wrote:At present none of these bills have any co-sponsors, while HB142 has fifteen. Perhaps 151-153 will quietly expire in committee?
As the late Tweed Ring would opine upon occasion, in the Ohio General Assembly the Democrats propose and the Republicans dispose.

I'm not saying we should ignore them, and when the time comes for opponent testimony those who can should participate, but I do not think there is much chance of movement for those bills.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Even amongst his fellow party members, Rep. Patmon is known, well, as kind of special. I've met him before and he's a super nice guy, really passionate about his issues but he's got a bit of a Quixote streak to him. The cynic in me says one reason he's so anti-gun is that very few of his constituents are legally able to benefit from pro-gun legislation. ;)
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Tuesday, April 25, at 4:00pm, the Ohio House committee on Federalism and Interstate Relations will have its first hearing on HB 142, repealing notification for CHL holders. This hearing is for SPONSOR testimony only, with Representative Wiggam being the only one to testify that day.

The committee usually meets in Room 115 in the Statehouse, but that is subject to change. Liberty minded citizens are encouraged to attend and support Rep. Wiggam as he testifies. If you do attend, please make your support known by wearing your OFCC gear, (or other pro-gun clothing)

Be aware that while you can have your gun in the Statehouse parking garage, you can't take it inside, and the nice OSHP guards at the metal detectors look very down on both spare mags and pocket knives and won't let you inside with them.

If you want to attend but don't know your way around down there, shoot me a PM and I will try to have someone meet you there.
Carry on and stay safe out there
Assuming this is still on..... Tuesday, April 25, at 4:00pm ?? Hate to drive 2 hrs each way to be disappointed :)

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Not only is it still on, Representative Patmon will also be giving sponsor testimony on THREE ANTI-GUN bills he has introduced!
Safe storage, universal background checks, and something else I forget
Don't miss it!

Unfortunately, I will miss it due to work :(
Thank you for attending, Pops Fun
Morne will be there
I hope you two get together
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Not only is it still on, Representative Patmon will also be giving sponsor testimony on THREE ANTI-GUN bills he has introduced!
Safe storage, universal background checks, and something else I forget
Don't miss it!
His three bills, all reruns because he just won't stop pandering to his moron voters, are listed a few posts back, Chuck.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

zeko wrote:HB151, 152, and 153 are all by Representative Patmon:

HB151: "Universal" background checks
HB152: Requiring "firearm restricted" on a felon's hunting license (he can't hunt with a firearm)
HB153: Prohibiting sale of "replica" guns (with some exceptions)

At present none of these bills have any co-sponsors, while HB142 has fifteen. Perhaps 151-153 will quietly expire in committee?

Zeko
My memory ain't perfect but crimony, Patron drags out thus same song and dance every two years!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you Brian
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Liberty minded citizens are encouraged to attend and support Rep. Wiggam as he testifies. If you do attend, please make your support known by wearing your OFCC gear, (or other pro-gun clothing)
Would this T shirt be considered offensive or over the top for this hearing? :)

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Over the top!! :D
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan