HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by MacDonald »

When I worked at Kroger (11/15 - 03/17) it was 3rd shift and I would frequently see LEO in the store getting munchines (I doubt they were stoned, but who knows?). One night, I asked an officer about duty to inform, and if I needed to interrupt the police if I was stopped for a LE purpose (he was a local cop in Lebanon). He advised that it would probably go better for me if I informed after the LEO finished introduction rather than interrupt him/her. I have never been pulled over while carrying, and would be nervous, I would thin, to say the least.

Thoughts?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Don't go past "Hello" without notifying. I had car trouble on I-75 over the weekend and a nice OSHP officer walked up to my passenger window about 15 minutes later. He had run my plates and already knew, but I'm not pushing the "promptly" envelope.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

MacDonald wrote:When I worked at Kroger (11/15 - 03/17) it was 3rd shift and I would frequently see LEO in the store getting munchines (I doubt they were stoned, but who knows?). One night, I asked an officer about duty to inform, and if I needed to interrupt the police if I was stopped for a LE purpose (he was a local cop in Lebanon). He advised that it would probably go better for me if I informed after the LEO finished introduction rather than interrupt him/her. I have never been pulled over while carrying, and would be nervous, I would thin, to say the least.

Thoughts?
It's the reason I created and carried a written notification card when I still lived in Ahia. Let them say what they want when they approach (most likely the first words will be "license & registration") - then hand that to them and tell say "yep, I'll get you those, but before I do, here's the notification I'm required to give you." Then I wouldn't take my hands off the steering wheel until they tell you AGAIN to get your DL and registration.

And, oh yes - an extra copy of that card for court - just in case yours mysteriously disappears from the property room. The card simply tracks the language of the statute, and informs them of precisely what the statute requires you to inform them. Some may not like to do that. YMMV.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:While the House has passed three gun related bills so far, the Senate seems remarkably uninterested in dealing with the subject. There have been almost no hearings on any gun related bills so far this session.
Things slow down during the holiday season, unless it’s the lame duck.
And frankly, I’m fine with that, having used all my days off work this year.
We are working with leadership, exploring the use of one of these bills as a means of getting a total repeal.
That would be the easiest way to make repeal happen.

I want this time to drum up support, before the hearings start
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

So no sooner had I mentioned that the Senate Judiciary Committee had held almost no gun-related hearings in the last 10 months and they schedule a hearing which will include three gun-related bills.

HB 79 Allowing tactical medical professionals to be armed.

SB 208 Expands where LEO can carry.

SB 180 Stand your ground
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi,
Has anyone looked for other states that would have similar notification laws, if the proposed law takes effect
or would we be the only one with notification when the drivers license is asked for!!
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Pops Fun wrote:Hi,
Has anyone looked for other states that would have similar notification laws, if the proposed law takes effect
or would we be the only one with notification when the drivers license is asked for!!
https://www.usacarry.com/duty-to-inform-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I counted correctly, only 7 states have a yes or yes always , the way Ohio does. Even New York state, New Jersey, and Maryland allegedly have better notification requirements than Ohio, and those states are very anti gun. But then if you believe the OSP, changing the notification laws is going to lead to officers dying. You know, like how the OSP said concealed carry would lead to troopers dying, back when licensed carry started, or when the law was changed regarding how you could carry in a car, etc. :roll:
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Tuesday, November 14, OFCC advocated in the Ohio Senate for our agenda, with notification repeal as our headliner.

I wasn't there, so I can't say much about how it went, but if the other folks want to tell about it, they are welcome to.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

First hearing in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee is tomorrow 12/12/2017.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Hopefully they can straighten it out, or let it die like every other piece of legislation has done this year. :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:First hearing in the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee is tomorrow 12/12/2017.

Thank you for posting this.
I just heard about it myself and came to do just that
Ain't activism fun?