HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by Mustang380gal »

WestonDon wrote:Before I condemn the NRA I would like an answer to the following question. Who endorsed this pig first? NRA or that other Ohio gun rights group? If NRA thought they were acting in concurrence with the wishes of Ohio gun owners then their actions are more understandable.

Actually even though I disagree I can understand NRA's motivation. They get to put one in the win column but don't have to deal with the flaws. The other group still baffles me.
I strongly suspect that they go hand-in-hand. BFA's Linda Walker was an NRA director. It would really surprise me if they ever took different sides.

Unhappily, they don't seem too concerned about the wishes of the gun owners from this organization.

Maybe MWSY ought to run for NRA BoD? He'd liven things up!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:I still say OFCC should have a tour bus that takes frequent trips around the state, driven by one.of our lead-footed members. When stopped for speeding, we'd all have to inform, one at a time. Slowly.
If that bus went to Florida, we could all be legally detained according to Presley v Florida (which relies heavily on Terry v Ohio, to no one's surprise)
We hold that, as a matter of course, law enforcement officers may detain a
vehicle’s passengers for the reasonable duration of a traffic stop without violating
the Fourth Amendment.

We disapprove of the Fourth District’s decision in Wilson v. State , and any cases that rely upon
Wilson v. State for the proposition that law enforcement officers under the Fourth Amendment are precluded from
detaining passengers for the reasonable duration of a traffic stop.
pg 25 of 29
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

bignflnut wrote:
Pops Fun wrote:Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about HB142

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why? What seems to be the trouble? All the FFLs say I should support the NRA. What pro-2A group doesn't encourage people to sign up with the NRA and vote for the candidates they endorse?
They've got my back, yeah? They know the right thing to do. FAR BETTER than I, at least, right?
I'm just some Joe working a 9 da 5 and caring fer muh family, the NRA is striving every day to help me retain muh Gun Rights.
What should I say Pops?
Who are we fighting against here, with this substitute 142?
Ok, so I forgot that the NRA is a firearm god, forgive me. They are a huge organization, you are saying they they are infallible??
The NRA will take this turd as a win and put Ohio gun owners in a bind, we will never get rid of notification if this passes.. that all I am saying.
Let the NRA-Ila know how you feel about this bill, they probably, from there news post think this is a wonderful thing Tell them it stinks!!
They (NRA) called Monday wanting more money, ( Iam just lucky I know ) they call ever couple months. I gave last call so they were probably surprised when I mentioned this bill
and the poor woman must of thought I was crazy when I said no money ever again. I am (inappropriate language) ....
Who told the NRA this was a great bill for Ohio, That other group of course.
Rant off
Of course I realize the NRA is overall a great defender of firearm rights, but I am upset.

Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about sub HB142

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bignflnut do you have a Mustang :) Think I remember you from another forum
Pops
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Pops Fun wrote: Ok, so I forgot that the NRA is a firearm god, forgive me. They are a huge organization, you are saying they they are infallible??
The NRA will take this turd as a win and put Ohio gun owners in a bind, we will never get rid of notification if this passes.. that all I am saying.
Let the NRA-Ila know how you feel about this bill, they probably, from there news post think this is a wonderful thing Tell them it stinks!!
They (NRA) called Monday wanting more money, ( Iam just lucky I know ) they call ever couple months. I gave last call so they were probably surprised when I mentioned this bill
and the poor woman must of thought I was crazy when I said no money ever again. I am (inappropriate language) ....
Rant off
Of course I realize the NRA is overall a great defender of firearm rights, but I am upset.

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pops
I own a one Ford automobile :) ,though not a Ford Mustang and zero equine animals. I'm not on many other forums...but I'm thankful for your warm thoughts.

I asked you to make the case against the NRA to point out how we trust them when they discuss matters in another state (say Arizona, Maine, or some far flung place). Many will take the NRA's word for it that this is what's best for Ohioans. They should not. Neither should we. However, all pro-2A groups and all FFLs encourage patrons to support the NRA, who is quite adept at cutting deals and finding compromise with the Swamp People of the Establishment. This compromise strengthens the grid of 20,000 gun laws that we all seemingly decry as unconstitutional.

We see the Swamp Establishment and recognize how organized and committed they are, so we similarly seek organized and committed groups to contribute to. We build these sacred cows and realize, when it's too late, that they were in the Swamp's pocket the whole time. We crave the group think because it is easy to cut a check instead of doing the difficult work that people like Chuck do (against all odds, and the contributions of fellow gun owners). We're easily swayed by Frenchie and the NRA pied-pipers who say the right things at election times (scaring us with the boogeyman and thinking Romney and McCain were positive). Sure, they're resisted the easy knock out blow to the 2nd Amendment of mass confiscation, only to put the 2nd Amendment on a slow drip of chemotherapy that weakens the protections it provides.

Even now we decry the NRA in Ohio and call them a "great defender of firearm rights". The first step to remedying a problem is to recognize that we have a problem. We're on that path, the depth of the wound will dictate how long we suffer the NRAs influence.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Pops Fun wrote:
bignflnut wrote:
Pops Fun wrote:Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about HB142

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why? What seems to be the trouble? All the FFLs say I should support the NRA. What pro-2A group doesn't encourage people to sign up with the NRA and vote for the candidates they endorse?
They've got my back, yeah? They know the right thing to do. FAR BETTER than I, at least, right?
I'm just some Joe working a 9 da 5 and caring fer muh family, the NRA is striving every day to help me retain muh Gun Rights.
What should I say Pops?
Who are we fighting against here, with this substitute 142?
Ok, so I forgot that the NRA is a firearm god, forgive me. They are a huge organization, you are saying they they are infallible??
Rant off

Pops
I chose to let them know I was fully ticked with them for supporting 142 as it is now, by sending them a letter wanting to terminate my life membership.
I've been a life member since I was about 18, (I'm 51 now), and have donated to them many times over the years.
I also included in my letter that if they pull their support for it as it is now written and actively oppose it, I will consider coming back.
I also made the comment that others may follow suit because of their support for it.
I suppose they would have to lose a heck of a lot of memberships over this to pull their support , but I think wanting to terminate your membership says it the best.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mustang380gal wrote:...

Heh.

Heh, heh.

If it weren't for my firm belief that the NRA BoD has zero input/impact on the actual operations of the organization, I might have a go at it.

No, we have to look at the NRA as the tool it is. While the official NRA state affiliate is the Ohio Rifle And Pistol Association, BFA seems to have borrowed their tool.

Now, why our leadership in the GA took on language from a Democrat to make Sub HB 142...I'll never know. But I do know that BFA was content because leadership was content, and the NRA was content because BFA was content.

The NRA does not seem to fight state-level fights without a state organization getting it started. I don't know the timeline on this one...who was first, OFCC or BFA? Doesn't matter. BFA used their tool and the 'as introduced' language went 'poof'.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:...

Heh.

Heh, heh.

If it weren't for my firm belief that the NRA BoD has zero input/impact on the actual operations of the organization, I might have a go at it.

No, we have to look at the NRA as the tool it is. While the official NRA state affiliate is the Ohio Rifle And Pistol Association, BFA seems to have borrowed their tool.

Now, why our leadership in the GA took on language from a Democrat to make Sub HB 142...I'll never know. But I do know that BFA was content because leadership was content, and the NRA was content because BFA was content.

The NRA does not seem to fight state-level fights without a state organization getting it started. I don't know the timeline on this one...who was first, OFCC or BFA? Doesn't matter. BFA used their tool and the 'as introduced' language went 'poof'.
Poof.....I'd say that's the good word for it.

I'd like to see BFA go...... P O O F !
Darrel
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BFA Forum is almost POOF. I visit daily and nothing is happening there! Rarely is there a post.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Cruiser wrote:BFA Forum is almost POOF. I visit daily and nothing is happening there! Rarely is there a post.
Ain't that right !

I've only been over there because of this 142 "revised" crap that they are now supporting just so's they can say they are doing something for the gun owners in Ohio....even if it DOES screw over the gun owners of this state.

There are quite a few forumites who are bashing them over there for their involvement in this and none of the brass nuckle heads even have the deciency to address their own membership.
Darrel
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Cruiser wrote:BFA Forum is almost POOF. I visit daily and nothing is happening there! Rarely is there a post.
BFA is fully in the Pragmatic Political mold (which others have been guilty of). If we can get "some progress" on the issue, it matters not how far away it is from the goal. We can simply call it a win...and look, we've got a ton of awards (based on this idiotic "success" model, so trust us):
2005 - U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Patriot Award
2007 - CCRKBA Grassroots Organization of the Year
2007 - League of Ohio Sportsmen/Ohio Wildlife Federation Hunter Educator of the Year
2007 - NRA-ILA Volunteer Organization of the Year
2008 - NRA-ILA Defender of Justice Award
2009 - NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award
2009 - NRA-ILA Jay M. Littlefield Volunteer of the Year
2010 - National Wild Turkey Federation/Women in the Outdoors Hunter Education Instructor of the Year
2010 - NRA-ILA Jay M. Littlefield Volunteer of the Year
2011 - Linda Walker elected to NRA Board of Directors
2011 - CCRKBA Grassroots Organization of the Year
2011 - NRA Top 10 Recruiter - 5th Place
2011 - NRA-ILA Jay M. Littlefield Volunteer of the Year
2012 - CCRKBA Gun Rights Defender of the Year
2012 - NRA Top 10 Recruiter - 3rd Place
2013 - Foundation named #1 NRA Recruiter, breaks record
2013 - NRA Foundation Volunteer of the Year Award
2013 - Outdoor Writers of Ohio Supporting Member Award for Best Website
2015 - SAF Defender of Freedom Award
Anyone can see that the NRA is scratching BFAs back. Wheeeee. One can't serve two masters. You're going to help the citizens of Ohio or you're going to do as your told by the SWAMP. (Oh, you don't know how big the NRA is on K street?) Can't be half this and half that. BFA/NRA are not our friends, but I can comprehend how tough a sell that is to the greater gun community. BFA enables the cherry red Ohio Statehouse to avoid Concealed Carry by supporting the SWAMP. Cut and dried.

Cautionary Tale: You see this in the frustration of pro-life citizens, also. That there have been 40 plus years of "struggle" and half measures to overcome the arguments that won the day in 1973. All of the scientific arguments, all of the data, all of the logic is on the currently losing side of the argument, and they can't get the national knockout blow because the state and national orgs are all too happy to play the game of inches, accepting the false presuppositions of the game, having no ability to bribe/threaten the SWAMP (the "R-brand" being greater than the rhetorically weak "ORG-brand"), and rake in the donations over a few generations, with no end in sight.

Is this the future that we desire? That's the future BFA/NRA and all the other Pragmatic Politics advocates will happily win.

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote: I chose to let them know I was fully ticked with them for supporting 142 as it is now, by sending them a letter wanting to terminate my life membership.
I've been a life member since I was about 18, (I'm 51 now), and have donated to them many times over the years.
I have not terminated my membership but I quit giving them any $ a number of years ago. GOA gets my $ at the national level since they are the real deal.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Today, 10-24-2017, the House is scheduled to vote on Sub HB 142

I don't think we can stop it
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:Today, 10-24-2017, the House is scheduled to vote on Sub HB 142

We may not have to. Kasick's support for SB219 is of no surprise to me. He has been leaning liberal since his failed presidential run. And now since he is not able to run for Governor he is shedding what pro-gun rights stance that he has shown. I doubt that he will sign the sub HB142 since his attitude about guns has diminished and may find another political party to join.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Today, 10-24-2017, the House is scheduled to vote on Sub HB 142

According to BFA there's an amendment "fix" being proposed by ...is the rep's name Vidale? Something like that. I think the same guy who introduced "carry in government buildings (just) for elected officials".

So, I don't know if we want any help from him..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Oh yeah?
I can’t find that. Would you mind copying that part here?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)