HB 142 Duty to Inform

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 142 Duty to Inform

Post by Chuck »

There is a hearing scheduled for This coming Tuesday, May 16, at 4:00 pm for proponent testimony. OFCC will be testifying in support, of course, and we would like to have as many supporters as possible to attend
Rumor has it that there will be a video or two, and all the stories we have collected will be presented as a package
The bill costs nothing, only strikes out bad law from the books, and offers more freedom to law abiding citizens

Please come attend if you can
I will meet anybody who comes and show them around if they would like
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If you go to this page, and click on the down arrow next to May 16, 2017, you can find the committee meeting minutes and all the testimony regarding HB 142

Thank you to all who submitted testimony, and Apex, I wll get yours submitted for the record

http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/fede ... -relations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Yesterday was the hearing for opponents and interested parties.

If you go to this page, http://www.ohiohouse.gov/committee/fede ... -relations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , and select May 23,2017 from the drop down menu, one can see everyone's written testimony, including the arguments by the antis.
Their arguments aren't strong, and the committee pretty much took them apart.

Now we need a vote to pass committee and on to the house floor!
Ain't activism fun?

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Chuck (and others): Thank you for all that you do to improve our laws in Ohio (and in this case in particular, Notification Repeal).
On impending or potential legislation, I feel like I have a good understanding of the "why" and the "what". Some of what I'm missing is the "who", "when" and "how". For example:
  • Who should contact whom and when?
  • How is the best way to contact these people?
For example, I'm in Ohio House District 9 (Boyd). Putting aside the reality that Rep Boyd is highly unlikely to support HB 142, does it make sense for me to contact her, and if so, at what time during the bill's lifecycle? What about the sponsor of HB 142 (Wiggam)? Since I'm a non-constituent, does it make sense for me to contact Rep Wiggam or any of the other Co-Sponsors? What about the numerous members of the Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee? My Representative isn't on that committee, but should I reach out to any/all of them, encouraging them to vote and pass this bill on to the House floor? Maybe then I call/write/email Rep Boyd and argue for her support?

Since I don't reside in the District of any of the Representatives currently sponsoring this bill or on the Committee, should I just wait to contact my Representative until it hits the floor?

Any constructive guidance would be helpful.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

rimfireOH wrote:Chuck (and others): Thank you for all that you do to improve our laws in Ohio (and in this case in particular, Notification Repeal).
On impending or potential legislation, I feel like I have a good understanding of the "why" and the "what". Some of what I'm missing is the "who", "when" and "how". For example:
  • Who should contact whom and when?
  • How is the best way to contact these people?
For example, I'm in Ohio House District 9 (Boyd). Putting aside the reality that Rep Boyd is highly unlikely to support HB 142, does it make sense for me to contact her, and if so, at what time during the bill's lifecycle? What about the sponsor of HB 142 (Wiggam)? Since I'm a non-constituent, does it make sense for me to contact Rep Wiggam or any of the other Co-Sponsors? What about the numerous members of the Federalism and Interstate Relations Committee? My Representative isn't on that committee, but should I reach out to any/all of them, encouraging them to vote and pass this bill on to the House floor? Maybe then I call/write/email Rep Boyd and argue for her support?

Since I don't reside in the District of any of the Representatives currently sponsoring this bill or on the Committee, should I just wait to contact my Representative until it hits the floor?

Any constructive guidance would be helpful.

We are getting near the end of the committee cycle for this bill and nearing the time it will get to the floor. Thus, telling your state rep to support it would be the best move. No, it may not change her mind. But every drop of water helps to carve the canyon. If all it does is make her ask her colleagues, "Hey, did your people pester you about this HB142 also?" Then it will be worth it. Buzz is a good thing. If the anti-gun forces know we are mobilized and pushing they will be less likely to succeed in neutering/killing this bill. They'll be more likely to let it slip on by and hope to live to fight another day.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Morne wrote:We are getting near the end of the committee cycle for this bill and nearing the time it will get to the floor. Thus, telling your state rep to support it would be the best move. No, it may not change her mind. But every drop of water helps to carve the canyon. If all it does is make her ask her colleagues, "Hey, did your people pester you about this HB142 also?" Then it will be worth it. Buzz is a good thing. If the anti-gun forces know we are mobilized and pushing they will be less likely to succeed in neutering/killing this bill. They'll be more likely to let it slip on by and hope to live to fight another day.
So, right now, I should be (respectfully and politely) bugging engaging my Rep. Got it.

Do Reps listen to non-constituents calling/writing/emailing?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

rimfireOH wrote:
Morne wrote:We are getting near the end of the committee cycle for this bill and nearing the time it will get to the floor. Thus, telling your state rep to support it would be the best move. No, it may not change her mind. But every drop of water helps to carve the canyon. If all it does is make her ask her colleagues, "Hey, did your people pester you about this HB142 also?" Then it will be worth it. Buzz is a good thing. If the anti-gun forces know we are mobilized and pushing they will be less likely to succeed in neutering/killing this bill. They'll be more likely to let it slip on by and hope to live to fight another day.
So, right now, I should be (respectfully and politely) bugging engaging my Rep. Got it.

Do Reps listen to non-constituents calling/writing/emailing?
They are more likely to heed nagging from their own voters.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

This week, Substitute House Bill 142 passed the Ohio state House Committee on Federalism and Interstate Relations with a vote of 9-2.

Your NRA would like to thank the committee members who voted in favor of this critical legislation to move Ohio in the right direction towards reforming the law to ensure penalties are closer in matching the offense. Again, please contact your representative and urge them to vote in favor of this important legislation. Stay tuned to http://www.nraila.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and your email inbox for further updates on this bill.
Behold, the soft bigotry of low expectations.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

bignflnut wrote:
This week, Substitute House Bill 142 passed the Ohio state House Committee on Federalism and Interstate Relations with a vote of 9-2.

Your NRA would like to thank the committee members who voted in favor of this critical legislation to move Ohio in the right direction towards reforming the law to ensure penalties are closer in matching the offense. Again, please contact your representative and urge them to vote in favor of this important legislation. Stay tuned to http://www.nraila.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and your email inbox for further updates on this bill.
I left them a nasty gram in their comment section
Ain't activism fun?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:
bignflnut wrote:

I left them a nasty gram in their comment section
I sent them a email (9-17-2017) expressing my discontent with them on Sub.HB142. Have not received a reply yet. I copy/pasted the auto reply.

Thank you for your inquiry to the National Rifle Association. A representative will contact you directly.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about HB142

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Pops Fun wrote:Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about HB142

https://www.nraila.org/contact-nra-ila/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I already did.

I sent them a letter telling them to terminate my life membership with them and told them it was because they supported 142 as it is "now" written. I told them I'd come back if they dropped support for 142 as it is now and support notification repeal but I wouldn't pay for a life membership again.

I called them two days before and went over the reasons why it's now a bad bill and they wouldn't listen to me.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Pops Fun wrote:Contact the nra and tell them how you feel about HB142

Why? What seems to be the trouble? All the FFLs say I should support the NRA. What pro-2A group doesn't encourage people to sign up with the NRA and vote for the candidates they endorse?
They've got my back, yeah? They know the right thing to do. FAR BETTER than I, at least, right?
I'm just some Joe working a 9 da 5 and caring fer muh family, the NRA is striving every day to help me retain muh Gun Rights.
What should I say Pops?
Who are we fighting against here, with this substitute 142?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Before I condemn the NRA I would like an answer to the following question. Who endorsed this pig first? NRA or that other Ohio gun rights group? If NRA thought they were acting in concurrence with the wishes of Ohio gun owners then their actions are more understandable.

Actually even though I disagree I can understand NRA's motivation. They get to put one in the win column but don't have to deal with the flaws. The other group still baffles me.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We're not giving up on this by any stretch of the imagination guys.
Don't give up hope
Ain't activism fun?